Great Stirrup Cay (warning: photo intense)

thegreens

We just got back from a 4 day trip on Norwegian Sky and were at Great Stirrup Cay yesterday (Thursday.) I took a few photos to show you some of the work still being done on the island. I'll post a full ship/cruise review later in the Norwegian board, but I know some of you would like a separate update on the private Island.

My first impression when we arrived on the island was more war zone than paradise. There are piles of rocks and construction equipment everywhere, but once the tender boat turns the corner we saw the public beach! Chairs everywhere. The sand is a little rocky, but it's fine in the water.

23gyzgk.jpg

This second photo was taken from the public beach. You can see and hear some of the construction. It wasn't too distracting, but it isn't quiet.

ekmfic.jpg

My husband and I decided to snorkel. It wasn't great snorkeling, but we did see a fair amount of fish near the two tiny rock islands.

34rzvx0.jpg

The construction near the adult beach was the loudest. This is your ocean view. It looks quiet and relaxing, but construction was going on behind us.

auuwzs.jpg

The construction on the adult beach. Those are the cabanas going up.

25zmsfo.jpg

Lastly, this is the view you get when coming into and when leaving the island.

2570qah.jpg

I did not see where the lazy river is going and the trail to the lighthouse was closed. We still had a great time and Norwegian's barbecue was fun. Let me know if I can answer any of your questions!

Your private cabana comes with everything you need to enjoy your stay on the Cay. Start your day with priority tender tickets, making it easy to get ashore. Bottled water and fruit await your arrival. Once you have settled in; enjoy the sea on a complementary float and all day access to the Hippo water slide. You’ll also receive a $50 credit towards food and beverages while on the Cay. Note: Price listed is per cabana (not per person) and is good for up to 6 guests; therefore only one person needs to reserve the cabana. Use of the Hippo slide requires a waiver to be completed by each person staying in the cabana and will be delivered to your stateroom. Hippo water slide participants must be at least 42 inches in height.

• 6 months later...

First of all, thank you for the pictures and valuable information. My trip is still a year away so I am hoping all the improvements will be compelted. You said you didnd't say where the lazy river is going to be. Did anyone confirm that they are still planning to construct a lazy river??

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Pearl 10/24/12 cruise. Had a nice relaxing time. Love this boat.

Great Stirrup Cay is kind of yuk. I think the storms killed off most of the vegetation, all brown, even palms. There are tons of flies (especially around the food), sand fleas and mosquito. You will need lots of bug spray and even with it we had tons of bites. A good bit of the sand was washed away and construction buildings and trailers don't make it very pretty.

We rented one of the Cabana's on Stirrup Cay, we had number 1, there are at least 10 - 12. I would recommend requesting #5 or 6, since that is where the servers hang out most and will get the most attention. Nice day, but water was cold and would have rather saved my money and spent the day by the pool or in the spa on the boat.

Have a great trip.

Archived