Skagway-Liarsville

WaggesAZ

We have rented a car are plannning on driving to Emerald Lake. I have researched, and it looks like that should take 5-6 hours. Considering going to Liarsville on the way back. I googled and found a couple of travel companies selling tours, but nothing from Liarsville itself.

I have 3 questions:

Can we buy tickets at the door/gate, or do we have to have to be part of an "accompanied" tour?

Our group of 7 ranges in age from 9-65, with 2 being vegetarian. Is it a "hokey" tourist stop?

Is the food decent? I know food is subjective, but there were only 3 reviews on Tripadvisor, and one mentioned that it was school cafeteria type food with the exception of the salmon. :confused:

Thank you in advance!

I've only been there once. it was very good, typical salmon bake food, at the time.

I have seen reports, that access is now only with ship tours. You used to be able to drive up.

Yes it is hokey, it's a recreated Gold Camp with skilled actors of the time.

Thank You BQ for your detailed response. If it's a little hokey that's ok, but I will have 17 year old who is a history buff, so if it is too far off from the reality of the gold rush days, I will have to hear about it! :p We may just drive up and see if they will sell us tickets, and if not, nothing ventured nothing gained!

bonvoyagie-I found this in my goggle search as well. They are a booking agent, and do tours in several cities. I would imagine they are the same as shoretrips or viator.

I would preferto be able to go on our own, since we have a car, as opposed to going back to Skagway & getting on a bus.

I appreciate you both taking the time to answer! :D

At first I would agree with you about them being just a booking agent, however looking closer you will see that they are the operators and are indeed looking for talent to work in them. Booking agents usually offer way more tours than what they do and I do find others who offer this place on their tours.

Thank You BQ for your detailed response. If it's a little hokey that's ok, but I will have 17 year old who is a history buff, so if it is too far off from the reality of the gold rush days, I will have to hear about it! :p We may just drive up and see if they will sell us tickets, and if not, nothing ventured nothing gained!

bonvoyagie-I found this in my goggle search as well. They are a booking agent, and do tours in several cities. I would imagine they are the same as shoretrips or viator.

I would preferto be able to go on our own, since we have a car, as opposed to going back to Skagway & getting on a bus.

I appreciate you both taking the time to answer! :D

If history is the priority then it can't be beat on the White Pass RR. Also consider stopping by the Park Service Visitor center- early and sign up for a walking tour. They also have some exhibits, ranger talks and an informative movie. Located on Broadway and Second at the old train depot. http://www.nps.gov/klgo

This board has been so instrumental in my planning and I cannot express enough how much I appreciate those who have been (many times in some cases-BQ have you lost track of the # of trips you have completed yet? :p) their taking a their time to help us all with our upcoming trips. I do not expect that this will be a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska for my husband and I, and hopefully not for our children, but it may be for my parents and Aunt who are coming with us. Being able to get assistance has been so amazing, and I hope I can help someone 1/2 as much as you have all helped me!

Voyagie-you may be right about that company, I did see what you are talking about. They may just be the actual operator. Thanks for the other info too!

Like I said we may just stop by and see if they will accomodate us, but nowI know we will stop at the visitor's center either right before or right after we pick up the rental car and get a tour scheduled. I think all would enjoy that. Depending on the availibility of the walking tour, will determine whether or not we stop at Liarsville on the way back now.

irvington, we are cruising out of Vancouver and up to Whittier, so no Seattle stop this time! Thanks for sharing!!

• 2 months later...

We ended up doing the White Pass RR combined with Liarsville, to satisfy my history loving kids (10 and 13). They loved the town of Skagway, especially the park service rangers, and really loved Liarsville. I found Liarsville really eye rolling, but it was the highlight for them so it was worth it. I loved the train but in hindsight would have just taken it to the summit. We took it on in to Canada which didn't add much (in my opinion) since we went just past the border, and didn't go on to the Yukon. As a family compromise it was fine - -I got the train, without the long trip to the Yukon, which would have been too long for my 10 year old.

Part of the reason I'm posting here is to find out more about whether you can go independently. I'd like to go again next summer and rent a car and go farther, on to the Yukon. I'd love it if we could do an independent trip to Liarsville too.

It didn't all seem operational when we were there. We were in a small ish area of a few buildings. We didn't have a meal, just a short show, some cookies and juice, and gold panning. As we were leaving, I realized there were whole areas that we hadn't been in. There were plenty of cruise ships in town so I was surprised they didn't have more going on.

• 6 months later...
We ended up doing the White Pass RR combined with Liarsville, to satisfy my history loving kids (10 and 13). They loved the town of Skagway, especially the park service rangers, and really loved Liarsville. I found Liarsville really eye rolling, but it was the highlight for them so it was worth it. I loved the train but in hindsight would have just taken it to the summit. We took it on in to Canada which didn't add much (in my opinion) since we went just past the border, and didn't go on to the Yukon. As a family compromise it was fine - -I got the train, without the long trip to the Yukon, which would have been too long for my 10 year old.

Part of the reason I'm posting here is to find out more about whether you can go independently. I'd like to go again next summer and rent a car and go farther, on to the Yukon. I'd love it if we could do an independent trip to Liarsville too.

It didn't all seem operational when we were there. We were in a small ish area of a few buildings. We didn't have a meal, just a short show, some cookies and juice, and gold panning. As we were leaving, I realized there were whole areas that we hadn't been in. There were plenty of cruise ships in town so I was surprised they didn't have more going on.

I have the same question. I plan on renting a car and driving to the Klondike summit and suspension bridge. And if possible would like to stop by liarsville. Has anyone figured out the cost at the door without joining one of the tours? Or if that's even possible? If not I may consider doing the salmon bake in Juneau.

• 2 years later...