Whale Watching in late May?

Alaska0799

We're considering a May 26 departure, which will be the earliest we've ever cruised Alaska. We've enjoyed great whale watching in late July, early July and late June. Does anyone know if most of the whales have arrived in Alaska by mid- to late May? We understand we're less likely to observe bubblenet feeding behavior early in the season but that's always been a "bonus" when we've seen it, anyway!

Anything else that's noticeably different on a May departure? Perhaps a bit cooler and wetter? Thanks to anyone who has input to share!

Yes.

I had a glorious whale watch day in early May 2011. Beautiful weather, great whale sightings.

I'm also leaving on May 26th with my 3 adult children and we wanted to know of any reasonably priced tours for whale watching or do you just view from the ship? It seems Juneau is the best port of the ones we're stopping at (the others are Sitka and Ketchikan) I have sent for guide books on line but so far haven't received any of them. I'm in Juneau on Memorial Day so I hope the operators are still doing trips. Also heard it is better to go on a smaller boat with ten to twenty passengers than a larger one.

Would appreciate any help from you Alaska experts out there as this is my first and perhaps last chance to see it.

Don't miss whale watching out of Juneau (the absolute best in my experience)! We've also enjoyed good whale watching out of Sitka. We've taken the whale watching excursion through the cruise line and have used Harv and Marv's and have enjoyed both. Orca Enterprises also gets good reviews.

Our first Alaska cruise was with our family and it remains our favorite! Beautiful trip and wonderful memories. Enjoy!

We sailed from Seattle on May 22 last year. Did a whale watch through Allen Marine in Juneau on the 25th, and they commented that the orcas we saw that week were the first orcas they'd seen for the season. Absolutely spectacular. Enjoy your cruises. We did see quite a few humpbacks as well.

If you would consider the possibility of whales in Sitka, check out Capt. Davey at www.puffinsandwhales.com. He is wonderful, we really enjoyed our trip with him in 2010 - small 6 passenger boat with the best darn (warm:D) homemade chocolate chip cookies that his wife dropped off right before we sailed. We saw two humpbacks and our first ever gray whale, which was a real treat we weren't expecting! Saw lots of sea otters and a few puffins to boot. A great time was had by all.

Yes there are plenty of humpbacks to be seen in Alaska in May. The best sightings will be on tours. Anything from a cruiseship- will require an investment of time forward viewing, a good pair of wide angle binoculars, and if outside proper attire. You also will have to be happy with hours of looking and a 1 minute distant brief view. :)

Archived