SSI certification

flashyfishy

Short answer is yes, I believe they are. There are also other certification agencies. The YMCA does scuba as well. At the basic open water certification, they are essentially equal.

I did read some problem one resort in Honduras had with the SSI certification, but that was with the agency's main office regarding paper work. It was a very isolated incident, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The more important thing to consider is the quality of instructor and how well (s)he does instructing DH. He needs to feel comfortable with the class and feel like he is getting a good education for his money. The course work is substantially the same. After his basic open water certification, he can and should take other specialties, and it won't matter which agency he uses then either.

Sorry for being long winded, hope this helps.

Wish I was diving right now instead of moving furniture.

my certs are alphabet soup - pdic for bow, nasds for aow, ssi for s&r, iantd for nitrox... have never had a problem using any of them for a dive trip.

main thing is for you to be comfortable with your instructor and the material to be covered.

You'll find the cards from various organization useable everywhere. That's because many years ago they banded together and formed an aliance of sorts. They set minimun training standards for various certification levels. All the major certification agencies abide by those standard and their cards are accepted universally.Jerry

Archived