Cingular Cell phone Service in Hawaii

Sohker

How is the Cingular Service in Hawaii? I will be on the 5/29 POA saling and plan to use the phones while traveling. If you used Cingular Service was there any additional charges? I have a plan with no roaming charges.

Cingular is fine in most major metropolitan areas. You may lose service in rural areas but otherwise should be fine. No additional charges except for roaming charges if you pay for them.

Spleen

I have Cingulair too and get better reception than the AT@T where I would lose "air" between Kona and Waimea in places. I'm sure you'll be able to use your phone most places. No roaming.

Emi

Barb: Can tell you from personal experience, had Nextel service everywhere we went on last years cruise. No problems once we got to the islands. Just make sure you have national 2 way service.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I do, was wonderful to talk to son in Louisville last August from vancouver!

Also Baltimore to Palm Beach to my sister when I was on a business trip, aint technology grand...nary a penny more.

Only caveat is (for users in the contiguous 48 states) to make sure you have a nationwide plan or (if from the west coast) Hawaii is in your "region." For example, you may have signed up for a local or regional plan that gives you "free long distance" within a given area (usually your and a couple of neighboring states). If that's the case (and Hawaii's not in your region), you'll probably be charged long distance rates for calls you make in Hawaii even if you're not charged "roaming" (which depends on your carrier's cell coverage, not yours). Subscribers outside the contiguous 48 are on your own - I don't know the rules there.

Archived