Rent a car???

tomsuelaw

Yes, I would. No I haven't however.

I've read that you can actually rent a car in Belize from some companies and take them to the ruin sites in Guatamala but that it has to be on your rental agreement.

I haven't only because I've only been on day trips through a cruise. Most folks visiting there for longer periods of time take their perfectly fine bus system. A lot of American ex-pats now live there. Many others go there for a month or so for extensive but inexpensive dental work.

Hugh in Dallas.

i wouldn't. on the drive to the small boat dock (for the tour to lamanai) the road were awful. went through a couple of military sytle check points. if staying for a week, maybe...for a day trip, no way.

i wouldn't. on the drive to the small boat dock (for the tour to lamanai) the road were awful. went through a couple of military sytle check points. if staying for a week, maybe...for a day trip, no way.

I agree! Also I think it would be difficult because everything is SO spread out. Also, there isn't really an area "to explore". It is more of getting to an area like cave tubing, ruins, etc. because you need so much travel time to do anything of interest. There is nothing worth seeing close by.

Also, their driving isn't very good and the roads are terrible. It has always been a scarey drive in Belize getting to whatever we were doing. The highways are two-lanes with oncoming traffic and they go fast! It is not scenic at all, just a boring ride on a dangerous road. Not worth it in my opinion.

I concur as well. There's not really any point in renting a car for a cruise stop in Belize City. They don't drive THAT bad (Think of New York City without any traffic police) but the roads are pretty rough. For the most part, anywhere to go in the city itself is better reached by walking or bus / taxi. Anything outside of the city is pretty far spread out as has been mentioned and better reached by taxi.

I would just book an excursion (Preferably not from the ship) and see it that way your first time.

Archived