Review - with pictures - Sapphire Princess California Costal cruise - Apr/May 2012

Cuizer2

I didn't know how to obtain permission for this, but absolute want to "borrow".

Thank you,

Renee

I happen to know Dforeigner (we cruised together in 2010) and the picture of the Facebook Like stamp is available publicly on the Internet. Here is a link ...

http://simplyzesty.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/Facebook-Like-Button-Rubber-Stamps.jpg

So you have all the permission you need to use it.

AshipI.jpg

AshipII.jpg

Sapphire Princess – California Coastal Cruise – April 28 –> May 5, 2012

First a little about me. This is my twentieth cruise overall, my second on Princess and my first on the Sapphire Princess. In response to someone who wanted more details I began writing my reviews while on the ship. Normally I begin my review while waiting to board the plane. But this time I am not flying. I started packing Saturday morning a little after 7:00am and finished packing a little before 9:00am. I use a packing checklist which makes it fairly easy. So the only thing I forgot were the luggage tags which I obtained at the port (note to self – add the luggage tags to the check list). I left home at about 10:20am and was parked at the cruise terminal by 11:10am. So now I’m beginning my review after dinner on the embarkation day.

One thing I don’t like about this cruise is the first day is not a day at sea. And, just as bad, the last day is not a day at sea either. We will visit Santa Barbara on Sunday, spend Monday at sea, visit San Francisco on Tuesday, spend Wednesday at sea, visit San Diego on Thursday, visit Ensenada on Friday, and return home on Saturday.

This is a group cruise. I haven’t had the best of luck with my group cruises. The cruises have always been great, but one thing or another has popped up pre cruise. One of the two reasons I was interested in this cruise was I that I wanted to go on this cruise so I could meet the travel agent I booked with (the other reason is I want to sail into San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge). Although the travel agent I booked with is not my normal travel agent, I’ve had the chance to read her posts on one of the cruise forums I belong to and I’ve had the chance to speak to her on the phone. I have nothing but respect for her. Unfortunately, about a month prior to the cruise, she died. I’ll never get the chance to meet her. She was a special person and while I’m richer for knowing her, I’m poorer for never having the opportunity to meet her.

I spent a lot of time taking lots of pictures (over 1800) and I want to post many of them (over 200). So it is going to take me several posts to completely post my review with the pictures. I don't know how many people will post while I am posting, but I figure it will take me 36 posts to finish, so bear with me. For those that are interested, the review is over 9700 words (14 1/2 type written pages).

For those reading this review in the review section, I cannot post the photos in the review section. Instead at the end I'll provide a link to the photographs.

I also took some video, and if I figure out how to post the videos, I will.

AshipIII.jpg

AshipIV.jpg

Port side balconies (my cabin is on the Starboard side) ...

AshipV.jpg

AshipVI.jpg

Great Photos. How many A/C plugs in the cabin?

Thanks!

Tom

How many A/C plugs in the cabin?

Thanks!

Tom

There were two plugs that I remember. Also, check behind the TV for a "hidden plug."

I find a a small travel power strip to be a very helpful accessory.

When you were docked in SF, was it an easy walk to Pier 39?

I know you tender in Santa Barbara .. how far is town from the pier? I think it should be fairly close, but wanted to be sure.

We use to live in CA, but it's been years since we've been to either place. Can't wait to visit.

Pier 39 is right next to pier 35 so you can walk there is a few minutes. A fun place with many shops and restaurants. If your a AAA member go to the welcome office at pier 39 for a free book with discounts for many of the merchants at pier 39.

I have lived in SF since 1967 so let me know if you have any questions.

Tom:)

Thanks for the great photos. I will be on the Grand in May 2013 from SF to Alaska and wonder if the Grand will look similar to the Sapphire.

I like to take lots of photos like yourself, I was a professional for 20 years, and like to take a lot of ship photos when first on board as the rooms are usually empty.

I use a Nikon D80 for most of my photos and bring a small point & shoot as a back-up. I just purchased a remote for my Nikon for night photos and of photos when I am in a group. I've just ordered a Digital Timer Remote Control EZA-N1 For Nikon which I plan to use for night time exposures.

Thanks for the great photos. I will be on the Grand in May 2013 from SF to Alaska and wonder if the Grand will look similar to the Sapphire.

Tom, we are going on the Sapphire in about three weeks, and we were on the Grand in 2006. Looking at the Sapphire pictures, I think the Grand is very similar with a few few exceptions. The same? Not exactly, but similar in many ways. The Grand is slightly smaller, they removed the Skywalkers lounge, the mid ship dining rooms are broken up into four rooms instead of two (to just name a few of the differences). The Grand also has the International Cafe now and the Vines wine bar and Pizza place in the Piazza (atrium). I was hoping to go back on the Grand again why she is in the West coast, but not sure I can make it this year. I am sure you'll love the Grand.

Can I plug a nightlight in the plug in the bathroom?

Thanks!

Yes, but you could also just leave the bathroom light on.

However, as I recall, some of the bathroom plug have a cover. So a big night light would not fit, but a small one will. Also, I don't think it is designed for a heavy electrical load (the reason is is marked for shavers only).

• 10 months later...

Fantastic review and pics of Sapphire thank you so much! We are on Sapphire at the end of the year and are hoping you have a side picture of the end of the ship? We will be in cabin E712 which is two covered balconies away from a life boat and wondered what it looked like. Again great review, we felt like we were there with you :)