Cruise Dress

wolfpack

I have been on many cruises, but the "Language" of the dress on this Celebrity makes no sense to me. Formal night is understandable but "casua"l and "informal" - makes no sense. My son is 25, on the nights that are not formal, can he go in slacks and a collared shirt, can he wear khakis? Can my daughter and I wear nice capris and tops for casual/informal?

Thanks,

Celebrity follows three distinct dress catagories for their cruises. That said, here are the quotes from Celebrity-

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

... and here's the link to the answer.

http://www.celebrity.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000BsDEmyKxAAGoYhpf5QKSf0b:1028etqv2?pagename=proper_dining_attire

We've all seen the discussions here, so...

Another way to think of that "informal" dress code is to think of it as semi-formal. If you think of it that way it makes more sense.

I think there is lots of confusion with the thought that informal=casual but that is not correct.

So a sportcoat or a blazer would be what was called for. Just like the above info taken from the Celebrity website.

Another poster on another thread stated that he saw someone turned away from the dining room because they were not wearing a jacket on an informal night.

You might want to check out the Celebrity section for more discussion for this. (Warning that it can get quite heated.)

Also many of the places in Bermuda seem to want a jacket and tie at dinner. The island has a reputation for being more formal than the us.I know when I was there last year that semed to be the case in the evenings.

Good luck!

Calm seas,

Caroline

Wow, now you see why this gets confusing. I guess my son will bring asport coat just in case for informal nights. I really wish we could wear whatever we want - it is vacation, and I really hate bringing all the dress clothes!

Wolf,

You can always opt for the casual dining room for dinners on some nights. That might cut down on the amount of semi-formal wear. We did a weekend cruise and never went to the formal dining room. I am guessing you will be doing at least a week cruise. In that case, use space bags to pack it all. We did and it works great for keeping clothes separate and making more space in your suitcase.

We just came back from Zenith-Bermuda and had 2 formal, 1 informal, and 4 casual dinners in the Caravelle Dining Room. Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday, Informal on Wed. and Casual on the remaining nights.

For the most part, people adhered to the dress codes, but there is a wide variation of outfits worn and I think an outfit would have to be pretty extreme for you to be turned away by dining room staff. There were a number of men on informal nights without jackets, & women wore pant suits on all three nights (some wore casual pant suits on formal nights and others wore dressy pant suits on casual nights.)

Overall, I thought people were dressed very nicely even on casual nights. But there were exceptions and the dress code was not enforced.

Archived