Aussies/Kiwis Rate Local Sailings

We have a bit of a discussion going on the roll call for our 2 nighter on the Dawn Princess that has brought up some interesting comments so I thought you might like to comment on our local ships (local as in any regular sailing out of Australia or NZ)

Heres Mine.

Dawn Princess 3 stars (based on 3 cruises 7 weeks in total)

Plus points for service, food dining room only, entertainment sometimes

Minus points for small cabins, balconies, shabby, crowded public spaces buffet

Diamond Princess 4.5 stars based on 3 cruises 39 nights

Plus points decor, speciality restaurants, anytime dining, space,service, large balcony,staff, child free pool

Minus points beds/pillows, small cabins,entertainment sometimes good sometimes dreadful

Royal Caribbean 4 stars (one cruise another one booked only 2 nights)

Plus points, excellent buffet, nice decor, good speciality restaurants

Minus nothing really, need another look, weekend cruise was very boozy (them not me LOL) tiny library, small atrium

Norwegian Sky

NCL 3 stars only one cruise some time ago

At the time I only rated it average but I would need to have another look at their newer ships

HAL

Volendam 4.5 stars one cruise 14 nights

Plus..very classic and stylish, beautiful dining room, well set out buffet and public space

Minus..entertainment pretty quiet and aimed at "mature" crowd, service in dining room very slow, food not as good as Princess

Over to you...comments on your experiences and favourites.

Sue

Here's mine, based only on one cruise in each.

Sun Princess. 3 1/2 stars.

Plus points. Lovely atrium, excellent service in the dining room, 24 hour buffet, free pizza and icecream, entertainment was sometimes very good, sometimes not. Maintenance-always people varnishing or cleaning. Interesting presentations by visiting speakers, eg about flora and fauna of the areas visited. Comfortable conditions for safety drill. Plenty of wardrobe storage. Promenade deck right around the ship, so you could do a circuit.

Minus points-size of cabin and cabin layout. Very tiny. Pillows weren't great. Small laundry, always crowded.

Tacky award for the way they relentlessly campaigned for extra tips, with piles of envelopes half way to the ceiling on almost every flat surface in the foyer-despite the fact there was already automatic tipping at the time.

Pacific Dawn 3 stars

Plus points. Bigger cabin with a better layout, very comfortable beds, bigger shower, better entertainment-more shows more often. Excellent, big laundries

Minus points. Dull decor, lacks wow factor. Buffet closed through long portions of the day. heavy blinds and venetians on windows in buffet hide the sea view. Finish in cabins and in parts of the ship a bit tired and in need of repair. Stand up only conditions for safety drill, very uncomfortable. No complete promenade deck to walk around. No interesting lectures.

Honour award For the subdued and classy way they mentioned tipping and discretely displayed a small number of envelopes, despite the fact auto tips were coming off that week.

Archived