Review of our day In Belize, including the River Wallace/Altuna Ha tour

judyf

Belize: We arrive in Belize an hour later then scheduled. I guess this was due to leaving Cozumel so late. We still had to be back on the ship the same time in the afternoon, so we lost one hour in Belize. All the ship tours were a half hour later then scheduled. I had decided early on in my research that this was the one port we would do a Carnival excursion. After what happened yesterday I was glad that we booked with CCL today. Some of our tablemates, two couples cancelled their cave tubing tour with CCL due to what happened and they didn’t want any stress today. We decided to stick with our original plans.

Was up early and ready to go, grabbed a quick bagel or danish and we were off for our river/ruins adventure. There was no wait, we met at the designated time and went right to the tenders. These are fast tenders you dock 5 miles from Belize. It was so foggy that we couldn’t see our ship after only a few minutes. There was only one other ship in Belize that day, sitting in the fog I couldn’t tell which ship it was.

We arrive at the pier area we were quickly led into boats and were split into two groups. We were so lucky to get the river part of the tour first. Our tour guides were even saying it was hot this day.

Originally I wanted to do the cave tubing but I knew my mother wouldn’t do that, for a few reason, the walk, carrying the tube and being in the caves. My second choice was the River Wallace and Altun Ha Ruins tour. I’m so glad we went on this tour we had a blast.

The boats start down the river and we saw lots of wildlife on this tour. First we saw the manatees. I started to camcorder them but remember the fog I talked about it was too much for my camcorder. I even used the advice from the board and had it in a big zip lock back and I didn’t open it for a while. The good news is a little over half way down the river it did start back up. Last year it did the same thing first day of cruise but never came back on till we got back home, maybe the bag did help.

We also saw crocodiles a baby one and a large one, bats, howler monkeys, a blue heron bird, I think that’s what it was called in it’s nest we got real close it was great. A special treat we got to see were dolphins, our guide said they don’t usually see them. I think there was 4-6 of them swimming in pairs. Of course at this point my camcorder wasn’t working yet. Down the river from where we saw the crocodiles we saw children swimming in the river. Our guides said that they don’t remember an incident with a crocodile attaching a child. We saw lots of local homes along the river too. We were on the river for 2 ½ hours. Really enjoyed this part of the tour.

We get off the boat in a small area with a little shopping and we were able to purchase a chicken and rice meal for $5.00. I got just the rice and salad and it was good. I bought a really nice wood craved bowl for a gift also.

Then we got on a nice AC couch bus and drove I think 45 minutes to the ruins. The guides were very good and gave us lots of details on Belize. Gas in Belize is $4.00 per gal US money and most make $1.25 Belize money per hour, this is even for teachers, nurses, police and tour guides. We had about one hour I think at the ruins which was plenty of time. I climbed one of the ruins and it was a great feeling. Boy, was it hot up there.

Small shops are set up to shop at. Just a little tip here, at one shop they had the baskets from the National Handicraft Center in Belize, don’t buy them here. The same baskets they wanted $40.00 for I got for $25.00 at the center.

We got a drink before getting on the bus and learned more info on Belize from the guides and some relaxed and others like me enjoyed seeing the local countryside. We arrived back at the pier area about ½ hour before last tender.

We passed the National Handicraft Center on the way to the pier. I walked to the NHC while my mother waited at the pier, it was a few blocks away and it was hot. I made it there and back with a few minutes to spare. I got a total of four baskets two for me and two for gifts they are very nicely made.

Today was nothing like yesterday, there was water available at the pier area while waiting for the tenders. We got right on a tender that was waiting for us, what a difference from Cozumel.

Judy

CCL Inspiration 4/4-4/11/04

NCL Sea 4/14-4/27/03

Wonder 5/16-5/19/02

Wonder 5/3-5/8/01

Fantasy 2/15-2/18/01

Judy-

Thanks for your great report. I find it interesting that you found price differences with the baskets. Mrs. Usher at the National Handicraft Center told us that they have been bothered by others claiming to be the "Center". If you want baskets from the Mayan village of San Jose, you need to find the real National Handicraft Center. It is really easy to get to as we have documented over on "GREAT SHOPPING IN BELIZE CITY". I took my baskets to school this week to show classes and my fellow workers. They all wished that they could have a basket. Thanks again for the report.

Journeyman

• 1 month later...

Judy:

thanks for taking the time to write the review. We're very interested in this excursion for our family of 6 this August. Do you mind saying what the cost of the excursion was? Any difference in price for adults vs. children?

I had not realized the river part of the tour was so long! (although the wildlife sounds interesting) Did I read right that it was 2 1/2 hours, then another 45 min. on the bus before you got to the ruins? (was bus air conditioned?) Then how long approx for the bus return trip to the ship? Did you have kids with you or any kids in your group? If so, would you say on the whole that they enjoyed this excursion, or would it be "too long, too boring" for kids? Thanks so much for the info, which will help us greatly as we try to make up our minds!

Penny

Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03

Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04

Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Thanks for your review, I didn't realize that it was a 5 mile tender into Belize. Wow that's pretty far out. How long was the tender ride each way.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

Until we're on the Explorer of the Seas !

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also interested in taking this tour. I was originally considering the cave tubing, but would like to do something that everyone in our group would be comfortable with (two of the four of us didn't sound too enthused about the walk through the jungle carrying a tube).

This sounds like a very relaxing day. Anybody else have any input?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the great review. This actually sounds like a pretty good tour. I think I'm getting cold feet about using an independent tour operator especially in Belize since it's a tendered port but know many people take non-cruise ship tours every day.

Couple of questions for you...what time is the tour, how much is the cost and what about restrooms?

Thanks!

The tour I think was only $49.00 pp booked with Carnival, I thought that was a great deal.

No restrooms on the boat tour of course but there was a restrrom when we docked and switched to the bus. I didn't use it but I think there was also a restroom on the coach bus. There were restrooms along the ruins site too.

We got on one of the first tenders, we met in one of the loungres first and we had some time to shop at the pier a little before getting on a tender back to the ship.

I didn't think I was going to like this tour when I booked it, I really wanted to go cave tubing or to shark ray alley but I booked this tour cause I knew my Mother would enjoy it more. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I also loved the bus ride through Belize too. I sat up front and talked to the bus driver the entire ride, some took a little nap on the way back but not me I didn't want to miss a thing!

Judy thanks again, You make it sound like fun I can't wait.

I booked it on Carnival's web site. It has gone up a bit I paided $69.00

for each adult and $55.00 for each kid.

Maybe it was $69.00 pp I can't really remember but thought it was a good price for a tour through the ship.

Archived