Disney cruise and a child with developmental delays

atticus

Not sure if anyone here will be able to provide any information but I am hoping to vacation next year with my husband, 5 year old daughter and 2.5 year old developmentally delayed son.

As he has hypotonia he is unable to walk at this point and is dependent on a stroller. Also has a gtube.

I'm just wondering if a Disney cruise is a good fit for a special needs child.

TIA!

DCL works with you for disabled kids. If your child cant do everything required to attend the clubs, such as going ot the bathroom unassisted he is still welcome but you must go with him to help him.

Counselors are not allowed to help the kids to use the restroom or to get from one area to another. But parents are encoursged to attend with the kids.

At 2 1/2 his age would be sent ot the nursery, but I dont know if they would take him since parents dont come in the nursery.

But you can arrange to bring him to the kids clubs to play with your there by checking ith a counselor. They have quieter times in the club areas while the older kids are of doing other things and thats when the younger kids are welcome to come in with mom and dad.

At least thats they way it worked last time we cruised.

I have an autistic grandson who has crusied with us at age 2 and although we didnt take him into the club he loved the pool area, movies, shows and sitting in the huge port hole window looking out to sea. All the crew chatted with him and he smiled the entire trip which is unusual for autisitc kids. He loved it and was treated awesome by all he came in contact with.

I ouldnt hesitate taking a special needs child on DCL for one minute.

You see several every cruise and all are so happy its worth every penny it costs to see that smile.

The youth program staff are very well trained and you can help them help your son by communicting with DCL about your son's special needs, his likes and dislikes etc. The more they know about you son as an individual they can be better prepared to help make a memorable vacation.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...
DCL works with you for disabled kids. If your child cant do everything required to attend the clubs, such as going ot the bathroom unassisted he is still welcome but you must go with him to help him.

Counselors are not allowed to help the kids to use the restroom or to get from one area to another. But parents are encoursged to attend with the kids.

At 2 1/2 his age would be sent ot the nursery, but I dont know if they would take him since parents dont come in the nursery.

But you can arrange to bring him to the kids clubs to play with your there by checking ith a counselor. They have quieter times in the club areas while the older kids are of doing other things and thats when the younger kids are welcome to come in with mom and dad.

At least thats they way it worked last time we cruised.

I have an autistic grandson who has crusied with us at age 2 and although we didnt take him into the club he loved the pool area, movies, shows and sitting in the huge port hole window looking out to sea. All the crew chatted with him and he smiled the entire trip which is unusual for autisitc kids. He loved it and was treated awesome by all he came in contact with.

I ouldnt hesitate taking a special needs child on DCL for one minute.

You see several every cruise and all are so happy its worth every penny it costs to see that smile.

how hard was it to take pictures? Did they give you any precedence on lines? Any considerations at all? I have a son who will be 4 with PDD, and is roughly a year behind his age. So he has tantrums if he has to wait in lines. Or, is it better to forego pics? Thanks!

how hard was it to take pictures? Did they give you any precedence on lines? Any considerations at all? I have a son who will be 4 with PDD, and is roughly a year behind his age. So he has tantrums if he has to wait in lines. Or, is it better to forego pics? Thanks!

No special treatment in lines.

You can have an adult stand in line, (arrive early so can be towards the front) while another adult walks around with your child and can still see the line. When its his time bring him over and take the place of the adult.

Also on Castaway Cay they have a few characters by the post office and by Mount Rustmore area with little to no lines most of the time since most people are in a mad dash for the beach and their kids have seen the characters during the week.

Read your Navigator for times the characters will be out. They are at the gazebo on CC too and most people are so busy on the beach they never come up there to greet the characters. I usually walk up and dance with Goofy or sneak a peck on the cheek from Mickey then because nobody is around.

Characters often are near the ship at boarding time at CC too for photos. Most have already got back on the ship by then, so never a line for this. You usually have one or two characters at this time. i have watched them from my balcony many times and the characters are just strolling around waving at those who are last to board the ship at CC. They will stop for photos.

Also characters do roam around the ship from time to time and will stop for a quick photo with no line. The only time they dont like to stop is when they are walking to a meet and greet. But on the outer decks they will stop. Many times are the ship is leaving port characters stroll upper decks. The trick is to ALWAYS carry your camera with you.

Even at dinner.

I cant believe how many times i have just been walking around the inside decks and almost walked into a character as I rounded a corner and of course no camera with me! Now I always have it!!

Also when in port while most are off the ship you can often find characters with little to no line.

You will see other kids with tantrums from time to time, so dont feel too bad if he has one sometime too.

Its a very fun yet stressful vacation for the little ones.

If your on a longer cruise they will have 1 character breakfast you can go to. Your assigned a time and table and several characters will come to your table while your eating and will happily pose for photos. They move fast, so be ready to snap that shot.

Hope you have a very magical cruise!!

Kathy

Archived