Layover in Zurich

I noticed someone requested information on a layover in Paris, and thought I'd ask for similar advice for a layover in Zurich. We'll have four hours. It's my understanding that the train station is right below the airport, and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to get into downtown Zurich. Does anyone have advice on whether a quick trip into downtown would be feasible. I've heard there are many shops and cafes very near the downtown train station. Our intent is to kill a little time and to basically be able to step foot on Switzerland soil, and perhaps enjoy a quick Swiss meal. :-) Thanks!

I was in Zurich in 2003 and stayed across the street from the train station. The information that you have is correct. The train from the airport is quick and easy, and the train station is right at the top of the Bahnhofstrasse shopping street. Some of the side streets off the Bahnhofstresse have buildings with wonderful Bavarian architecture, and you can walk down that street to the lake, which is another very nice area. Frommers has a walking tour that starts at the train station that you could do quickly, or you would also have option of eating outside at a cafe.

Your airline should be able to tell you what time you'll need to be back at the airport to allow time to go back through security, etc.

We loved Switzerland and can't wait to go back. I hope you enjoy it and have a great trip.

Donna

Archived