Review: Lost World Canopy Tour

Indiana627

Hello,

I was in Belize last week and did the Lost World Canopy Tour. I had a lot of questions before hand but couldn't find much info posted, so I thought I'd do a review. This excursion was great! The best day of our cruise! After getting off the tender at the pier, we found our guide who was holding up a sign with our tour's name on it. He asked us to step aside while everyone else showed up. Waited about 5 minutes until everyone was there (total was about 30 people - not sure if this is the max or not, but our bus was full). After boarding the bus, our guide Derek gave us a tour as we exited the city. He pointed out a lot about Belize's history and talked about the customs, currency, wildlife, etc. We were on paved roads for about 20 miles, then had to go on a dirt road for the last 8 miles. It was rough (especially since our bus was like a school bus and not a Greyhound)! We made a brief bathroom/drink stop about 2 miles before getting to the actual place to do the tour. Bathrooms were clean, though not much running water. They had ice cold beverages in a cooler for us. After driving the final 2 miles, we arrived at a clearing in the jungle, walked up a few steps, through a short cave and then we met our tour technicians (can't think of a better description). They were all friendly and introduced themselves. Then they suited each of us up with our leg/waist harness and helmets. Then we walked up a jungle trail for about 5-10 minutes. This was the most strenous part of the day, especially with the heat and humidity. Then they did a safety demonstration, rechecked all of our equipment and then walked to the first platform. They made quick work of hooking each person up to both zip lines (I think there were 2 for safety in case 1 did break). Other technicians were ahead on the next platform and would blow a whistle when it was OK to go. The tech that hooked you up then blew a whistle and then told you to simply lift your feet and then off you went! It was awesome! You didn't go too fast, but not real slow either. There were a total of 5 zip lines like this, each varying in length. I'd say the longest one was 500 feet. Some went right through the jungle so you couldn't see much except trees and branches and leaves. Others went over a valley and you could see quite a way around you. It didn't seem to be too high, but not sure exactly how high any of them work. Between the 3rd and 4th zip line, you had to do a vertical rappel. It wasn't rappeling down the side of the hill, but rather you were hooked up and then simply lowered straight down. The tech on the ground did all the work including the braking - you were just along for the ride. I was slightly apprehensive when doing this but not too bad. The drop is about 50-60 feet. There is no other way down, so you must do this. The 5th and final zip line returns you to the area where you suited up. There is a final vertical rappel at the end, but only about 30 feet. Then they take all your gear off and have ice cold drinks in a cooler for you. Once everyone is done, you're back on the bus for the reverse ride back to town. We stopped again at the same rest stop for a small lunch they had prepared, along with more cold drinks. We were dropped off just outside the door of the main tourist shopping village.

This tour was fantastic! We both loved every minute of it. I felt safe the entire time. This tour was new in September 2004 and looks great. Everyone was very nice. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone! My only complaint was that it was over too quick. And that there's not a lot of opportunities to take pictures while you're doing it.

FL000021.jpg.dc1e440276412be8a266f53800d9de4d.jpg

FL000022.jpg.67859ce3f16d54b1e279237afd6dcda1.jpg

FL000023.jpg.020a8da45b555168ed15b3a7c5c0cb01.jpg

FH000005.jpg.e42893a06b76ca9d0a42e66667491d56.jpg

FH000016.jpg.bf52c67f68d3370058c7113aacf23fb4.jpg

Did you see any wildlife? I hear so much about belize's birds and monkeys and would love to see one while there. How long was the actual process from when you went down the first zip line to when you got back to where you started. My family and I are signed up for this excursion and we are really looking forward to it. My dad also signed up however i think he is just along for the ride and will not participate. We signed him up so I guess we will see when we get there. Also how was the lunch? Did you feel safe eating it? Thanks for your great information. I too had a hard time finding anything.

Kelsey

My son & husband would love this tour, but I'm a bit apprehensive because I am afraid of heights. Do you think someone with a fear of heights would be able to do this? If I chicken out, is there a place to stay back at the starting point with a guide?

dbeers2618: We did not see any wildlife really, other than termite nests which I wouldn't consider much as worth while to see. The total time from first zip line to the last was probably about 45-60 minutes, but I lost track of time a little bit and didn't look at my watch at all. A lot of the time is spent waiting your turn, but it's worth it when it is your turn. The lunch was OK. A chicken kabob and a beef kabob in a pita pocket were served to each of us, along with a cold drink. Everyone devoured them and they were quite good. Nobody seemed nervous about eating. They had some really hot hot sauce there too. Be careful if you use it - you'll only need a little bit!

cruiserkcs: During the zip line portion, I really didn't notice how high I was, mainly because you can't see the jungle floor that well through all the vegetation. When I came upon the first vertical rapple, I was a little nervous, but realized there was no other way down at that point. I'd say you'd have to decide not to do any of the tour before you do the very first zip line, because once you do the first one, I don't think there's any other way back. Honestly, I think you only might be nervous at the first vertical rapple, but then I don't have a huge fear of heights so I can't say for sure. All I can say is that I felt safe and secure the entire time.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions about this fantastic experience!

Thanks for the review Mark. My son and I are signed up for this next month. I debated between the cave tubing and the canopy tour and am really glad I decided to go with this one. It sounds fabulous.

I knew some people who did the cave tubing and weren't too happy with it. When we were there it was at the end of the dry season so the river was low and one guy I know said he had to carry his tube part of the time. We were debating between the canopy tour and cave tubing and are very happy with our choice.

So glad I happened on your review and pics. My sixth grader is doing a research project on Belize for school. One of the items she had to come up with were several tourist activities. She saw this tour on the RCC site and wondered why we didn't do in last fall. Wish I would have seen this before leaving I would have enjoyed it more that cave tubing!

• 3 weeks later...

Indiana627 described our experience as well. Just as we got the mechanics of the equipment and traverses, the tour was done. We really wanted to go around again. The technicians were great. They were all extremely well trained in the safety of moving around the platforms at height. They didn't move anyone in our group on a platform unless at least one carbine was securely attached to us tourists. They even used the same procedure on themselves. Just as most exciting ways to see the world, if we listen to the trained personnel, we will be safe. Even if you don't like heights, sign up and enjoy this wonderful way to tour. There are supposed to be 12 other tour sites, but I can't think they would be much nicer than the one in Belize - not even a year old.

RB

BTW, the road description is just about right. Carol, our very knowledgeable guide, described the last ten miles as the massage part of the tour that wasn't advertised well enough.

i tried to do this same tour in puerto vallarta, but i freaked out and couldn't do it....my bf went without me *lol* i was only disappointed at the fact that i wasted $60 US and couldn't get a refund.

oh well, live and learn right?

We are cruising on the explorer later in june and were considering the lost canopy - I have 10 and 11 year olds who aren't overly adventurous, but my daughter did do a high ropes zip line at school and like it .....do you think they're too young?

thanks!

I remember there being some teenagers on our excursion, a boy about 12-13, and a couple of girls about 14-15. I don't think any of them had a problem, but then I couldn't see them most of the time. Safety wise, I would feel comfortable letting kids this age go. I guess it just depends on the kids and whether or not you'd think they'd be too afraid to do it.

Beautiful pictures! I desperately want to go on this excursion in July with our group of 9. My four sons really want us to do stuff together, but I don't like heights. I keep looking at these pictures trying to get a feel for how much it might bother me. :)

Thank you for the review. We were on the Mariner in March and I beleive it was Jamaica they offered a rapelling tour and initially the age was 8 and then they changed it to 18. Not sure why. My family would love to do this and we are thinking of doing a cruise in March of 06. The age limit still says 8 and my son will be 11. Hopefully, they won't change it.

You might Google "jaguar paw." Their website lists the canopy excursion, but I have found no one on these boards who went with them, independently, so we just booked through Carnival. Cost is $99, and the excursion is listed as 5.5 hours, 2.5-3 of that spent driving. I'll post a review after we return June 26.

Mark,

Did you do the rappelling at Jaguar Paw? The ship's excursion is sold out, put we can arrange a private excursion to Jaguar Paw. I just want to make sure it's the same place and still appropriate for the kids.

Thanks!

I've never heard of Jaguar Paw. Is that the name of the place the private excursion takes you? Not sure if this is where we went or not.

Hi. We are cruising with Carnival next year in July. Can you tell us how much this cost, and how long the tour was?

Is it only through the cruise line?

I think others have found private excursions, but we just did it through our ship to make it easier. The tour company was Bak-A-Bush. I believe it cost $99 per person, and total time was about 5-6 hours.

we just returned from trip on the Carnival Miracle and did the Canopy Tour. It was great. I had 2 13 year old girls with me who are not overly adventurous. And I don't like heights. But we had a great time. The initial description in this thread is very accurate and proved to be helpful. I wouldn't have any hesitations recommending it to anyone.

Archived