Star Tours - Snorkel Tour Company

Jules Travels

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We used Star tours for a private group excursion for 25 of us last September. They provided good customer service via email, prompt responses, etc... One thing I didn't like is that they wanted prepayment for everyone. I told them they would have to take cash at the pier or we wouldnt be able to book it. They required a $200 deposit, which we paid, and accepted cash at the pier for the others in our group.
The water taxi they used was basically just a large motorboat, no covering for shade, we all just sat in the sun for the 30 minute ride, but the breeze was nice. We went to Caye Caulker first to pick up our snorkeling supplies. At this point, the man working there gave me a total "owed" based on the number that I told him we had in our party when they picked us up at the pier. The problem is, I miscounted, and told them 25 people when we only had 24 come (the 25th in our group was ill, and I didn't know she didn't make it). They made me pay for the 25th person, even though I told them when I booked the excursion that I wasn't sure of the actual number, and they said "fine, just pay when you get there". I was TICKED OFF at this point, as there was no reason in the world to make me pay for the extra passenger. I basically handed these people a large group excursion and they felt the need to stick it to me. I paid the extra because I didn't want to get stranded on Caye Caulker after a pis**** match with the manager. BUT, when I got home I emailed the man that I had arranged things with and he mailed me a full refund for the overpayment.
The only complaint that I have about Star Tours is the boats they use. The boats hold about 12 people each, and didn't have ANY bathrooms, and they hardly provided any shade at all. After a 4 hour tour, shade and a toilet would be nice. :) Also, getting in and out of the boats was incredibly difficult for some of us, they used small ladders that hung over the side of the boats, and you had to haul your soggy wet self up with great difficulty.
Other than that, their prices were reasonable, they were on time, and the tour guides were friendly and knowledgeable.

Archived