St. Croix from St. Thomas

riverdees05

Actually, depending on your time in port, if you've already visited STJ via ferry and the BVI (Josts, VG, and Tortola) via Pirates Penny/Stormy Petrel, New Horizon, or another operator and want something different then yes you could do STX for something different. It's a 25 minute flight and between $300 - 400/couple (check pricing on site, may be cheaper) and you won't have alot of time there. But it is doable through Seaborne Airlines at the ferry terminal in CA. You could certainly see Christiansted and enjoy a short tour of the island. It would make more sense as a day trip if you were staying on STT.

http://www.seaborneairlines.com/

Edited by blue_water

Interesting you bring this up. We are going to be back on the The Rock in December and I thought about taking my wife over to St. Croix for the day, do some shopping, maybe go to the beach and then back to STT in the evening to change and dinner.

As already mentioned, there is no water taxi/ferry service right now, so I looked into flying on the seaplane (I still miss the old VI Seaplane Shuttle "the Goose") Cost is waaay out of line for a easy day trip. If we were to leave at 8:30 AM and come back at 4:45PM t would cost us $266.00 for two people for one way. Round trip $532.00. Plus money for lunch, and anything lese we buy, plus taxi on St. Croix.

Can it be done? Yes, you would have to monitor your time on St. Croix very carefully to be sure you get the last plane back to STT and enough time once you land to get back to your ship. Personally, unless you have unlimited time ( i.e staying on STT)and unlimited cash. I wouldn't go through the hassle and rush an just enjoy your day in port at a more local beach and/or shopping in Charlotte Amalie.

Scott

Edited by laser110

Interesting you bring this up. We are going to be back on the The Rock in December and I thought about taking my wife over to St. Croix for the day, do some shopping, maybe go to the beach and then back to STT in the evening to change and dinner.

As already mentioned, there is no water taxi/ferry service right now, so I looked into flying on the seaplane (I still miss the old VI Seaplane Shuttle "the Goose") Cost is waaay out of line for a easy day trip. If we were to leave at 8:30 AM and come back at 4:45PM t would cost us $266.00 for two people for one way. Round trip $532.00. Plus money for lunch, and anything lese we buy, plus taxi on St. Croix.

Can it be done? Yes, you would have to monitor your time on St. Croix very carefully to be sure you get the last plane back to STT and enough time once you land to get back to your ship. Personally, unless you have unlimited time ( i.e staying on STT)and unlimited cash. I wouldn't go through the hassle and rush an just enjoy your day in port at a more local beach and/or shopping in Charlotte Amalie.

Scott

scott this was posted as an over the top option for someone who had already done it all on STT, STJ, and even the BVI from STT and wanted something "unique" (usually spelled "$$$"). Definitely an option. But it would make a little more sense as a day trip while staying on STT...

I know this was an over the top option. I was actually thinking of the same option with my wife, but after crunching the numbers, yes it could be done, but not easily or cheaply.

However I don't see where they have said they have done it all on STT or STJ or the BVI? I find often people don't realize the distances between the islands and the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

Even St. John being close, is still alot of planning involved. For one, when I am on vacation, don't want to go through all that work and rush for a few hours on the beach. Even when on STT, for us to go to STJ always feels like a bigger effort, then say drive to Magen's Bay, or Hull Bay for the afternoon. Too much planning involved.

Maybe it's just me, but once I am on Island, I immediately adjust to "island time" there is no rush, so I don't get why some others would perfer to spend their vacation doing that.

Scott

To answer your question, I said for someone who has done it all, no one else mentioned that. Just a simple question from the OP. But if someone were that travel savvy I would expect them to know about Seaborne, right?

Just to clarify, the trip between STT and STX is actually shorter than between STT and STJ. So travel time is not an issue but cost certainly is. When we're staying on STT or STJ we would take the seaplane to STX to spend a day there and see if we would want to to return for a longer stay. The flight alone would be great. We planned it last visit but changed plans to meet friends on STJ.

We lime in the BVI beaches, but still island hop occasionally to enjoy all the BVI has to offer.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 years later...

I would avoid Seaborne Airlines after my experience with them. I checked in my luggage and the agent said that my credit card was denied (visa says that it never denied the charge) and made me pay $50 cash. When I got home there was a Seaborne charge on my visa for $50. Clever way to double charge for luggage. I am working with visa to get the charge reversed. Fortunately I had the agent write a receipt for the cash.