Has anyone used O'Brien's tours from St John?

We are thinking about giving whale watching a try and found O'Briens in a review from another site. Has anyone used them? If so, do you recommend them or any other? Is early July a good time for spotting whales?

I am going to assume you do mean St. John's Newfoundland and not Saint John NB. O'Briens is in Newfoundland and operates from the Bay Bulls location outside St. John's. If you mean Saint John I can offer you advice in that area as well. We used O'Briens 4 years ago in early July . We were in St.Johns on a very short land visit. It was a great day so we walked up to the office to see if there was space and away we went. They were great and the Whales...wow. We have whale watched Northern right whales in the Bay of Fundy and Orca's twice from Victoria BC. The experience on that day with O'Briens was by far the best of all of them. There were Humpbacks all around us, with one clown putting on a great show with his tail and fins. The sea birds were there in the thousands as well. Puffins and Common Mirs. The key to the whole thing was that the herring were running so the whales and sea birds were there for the feast. We joined O'Briens shuttle van at their St. John's office for the ride to Bay Bulls and same on the return. We still have the T-shirts and lots of pictures from the experience. You should be in great shape in early July. Have a great time.

Thank you! I did mean St. John's Newfoundland and tried to edit my post as soon as I hit submit but couldn't change the title! We will do a bit more research to be sure that is what we want to spend the day doing but so far whale watching through O'Brien's is my first choice!

Thank you! I did mean St. John's Newfoundland and tried to edit my post as soon as I hit submit but couldn't change the title! We will do a bit more research to be sure that is what we want to spend the day doing but so far whale watching through O'Brien's is my first choice!

Great. It is a great choice, the time of year is perfect as well. The circumstances don't go to our schedule but it is very likely you will have great viewing, weather permitting. There are other things to do but unless the weather is crappy, you really can't miss with O'Briens. IMHO. Other options would include Signal Hill and the museum " The Rooms". We have been to both and they are worth the visit as are may other points of interest.

• 4 weeks later...
I am going to assume you do mean St. John's Newfoundland and not Saint John NB. O'Briens is in Newfoundland and operates from the Bay Bulls location outside St. John's. If you mean Saint John I can offer you advice in that area as well. We used O'Briens 4 years ago in early July . We were in St.Johns on a very short land visit. It was a great day so we walked up to the office to see if there was space and away we went. They were great and the Whales...wow. We have whale watched Northern right whales in the Bay of Fundy and Orca's twice from Victoria BC. The experience on that day with O'Briens was by far the best of all of them. There were Humpbacks all around us, with one clown putting on a great show with his tail and fins. The sea birds were there in the thousands as well. Puffins and Common Mirs. The key to the whole thing was that the herring were running so the whales and sea birds were there for the feast. We joined O'Briens shuttle van at their St. John's office for the ride to Bay Bulls and same on the return. We still have the T-shirts and lots of pictures from the experience. You should be in great shape in early July. Have a great time.

You have chosen well with O'Brien's. There are whales around right now so you will have a good trip. Also the birds are amazing...worth the trip alone. I was out last week for probably my 15th time. While in town ask for directions to the Duke of Duckworth Pub for fish and chips...the fish is super fresh in July...swimming yesterday...and the pub is a TV star all of it's own on Republic of Doyle..

Have fun!

Molly

Archived