Tallin, Estonia Currency

Estonia joined the European Union in May 2004. :D

I see the Estonian Kroon listed on the Oanda website as the currency used there. ;)

However, Travelex does not carry this currency. :eek:

Does anyone know if the Euro or the Kroon is used in Tallinn??? :confused:

Thank you for your help.

1 US Dollar = 12.08028 Estonian Kroon

1 Estonian Kroon (EEK) = 0.08278 US Dollar (USD)

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

Estonian national currency is Eesti kroon (EEK), 1 kroon = 100 cents. Estonian kroon is pegged to EURO - 1 EUR = 15, 6466 EEK (previously, until the introduction of euro, EEK was pegged to German mark -1DM = 8EEK, the rate stayed unchanged since the introduction of Estonian kroon in June 20, 1992). The rate of USD is ca 12 EEK (Currency exchange rates).

Estonian bank notes: 500 EEK (violet and yellow), 100 EEK (blue), 50 EEK (light green), 25 EEK (green), 10 EEK (red), 5 EEK (brown), 2 EEK (light blue, grey), 1 EEK (light brown), and coins 5, 10, 20, 50, cents, 1 EEK, 5 EEK. The only legal tender in Estonia is Estonian kroon and hard currency can be changed in every bank. Major credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, Eurocard, Diner's Club, American Express, etc) are accepted in larger hotels, shopping centres and restaurants.

The prices in Estonia are somewhat lower than the average in Western Europe. Some prices: 10 l of car fuel ca 120 EEK, 0,5 l of beer ca 10 EEK in shop, ca 30 EEK in bar, 10 km ride by taxi ca 70 EEK, dinner in an average restaurant ca 150 EEK, night in a hotel 250-400 EEK, 600-3000 EEK in higher class hotels. 100 km train and bus ride ca 50 EEK.

I had not seen this website. That is what I thought - EEK, not Euros for Estonia. :D

I just learned tonight that one of my Mother's Day gifts is Euros. I can use them in Berlin :cool:

My daughter recently returned from Paris. When we were there in 2000 we were using Francs. I still have some Polynesian Francs from Tahiti. ;)

I appreciate your sharing this information. Now I just have to find someone who sells it here in L.A.

Anyone have any ideas?? :confused:

Just use a credit card for purchases, and draw however many "Eeks" in cash you think you'll need out of a hole in the wall by bank card. Any surplus can go to the crew as part of their tip.

They get a commission-free bank and currency exchange at the Purser's office

Archived