4-wheeling type excursions

jaive

I know of the Adventure Kart Expedition in Ketchikan and the Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4 in Skagway. Has anyone gone on either of these or both? What did you like or not like? And any recommendations?

Sarah

We recently did the Takshunuk 4x4 trail ride , it was in Haines, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We are in our 60's and my DH did the driving which he enjoyed. The weather was great after a rainy morning. We stopped on the way up the moutain for warm cookies, drinks, and facilities then on the way down for a delicious lunch. Scenery is breathtaking. Saw some beautiful birds but sometimes other wildlife is seen. Guides were great, fun and always helpful.

Would highly recommend.

We recently did the Takshunuk 4x4 trail ride , it was in Haines, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We are in our 60's and my DH did the driving which he enjoyed. The weather was great after a rainy morning. We stopped on the way up the moutain for warm cookies, drinks, and facilities then on the way down for a delicious lunch. Scenery is breathtaking. Saw some beautiful birds but sometimes other wildlife is seen. Guides were great, fun and always helpful.

Would highly recommend.

We did the Takshanuk Trail 2 years ago. It was me, DH and our teenaged sons (16 and 12, at the time). I drove up the mountain and DH drove down. We all thoroughly enjoyed it and can't think of a thing we didn't like. I'd say it's one of our all-time favorite excursions.

If you're stopping in Sitka, the Rhino 4X4 excursion was awesome! Did it in 2006, loved it and recommended it to several groups of friends who have sailed to Alaska since - they enjoyed it just as much! The boat ride over to the island where you 4 wheel was like an excursion in itself - we saw tons of otters, sealions, eagles and even a couple of whales! The scenery is breathtaking, and the riding is a hoot.

It seems like you can't go wrong with the excursion out of Haines. I've never been on it, but I've read consistently great reviews about it here over the years. Enjoy, whatever you decide!

Archived