iphone users

NiceAFT

Has anyone taken their iphone and used as mp3 player WITHOUT being charged roaming fees???

My provider is rogers, if I use the "airplane mode" does that save me?

All I want is to use it as MP3.

Thanks

There is also a "turn off cellular data" function on the iPhone in settings. That will allow you to use your iPhone's data functions via wi-fi if you want (when you're in a free wi-fi zone on shore, for example), but will keep your phone from accidentally accessing data networks outside of your service area (and thus keep it from incurring high roaming data fees). In addition to using my phone as a music player in airplane mode, I sometimes use the wi-fi function to check email or internet on shore, but always with the cell data turned off.

FYI....here are the travel tips provided by AT&T for iPhones....we use these setting every cruise - and have NEVER had any data roaming charged to our account.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/Travel-Tips.pdf

What's great about these setting is you CAN still use text messaging to check in at home - or if you get seperated while in port. I am sure it is different by carrier - but for AT&T its .50 to send and any you receive come off of your home plan - as long as you have a texting plan on your account.

What worries me about just using airplane airplane mode is if you need to make an emergency call - or accidently take it out of airplane mode - the data will begin to download immediately. :eek: THAT would result in a big bill :o

So - to be safe -we follow the directions in the above link - turn off the data roaming and all push notifications - and have never had any problem. ;)

There is also a "turn off cellular data" function on the iPhone in settings. That will allow you to use your iPhone's data functions via wi-fi if you want (when you're in a free wi-fi zone on shore, for example), but will keep your phone from accidentally accessing data networks outside of your service area (and thus keep it from incurring high roaming data fees). In addition to using my phone as a music player in airplane mode, I sometimes use the wi-fi function to check email or internet on shore, but always with the cell data turned off.

Correct me of I am wrong but tried this when I arrived in Nassau and got every text sent the last few days. I was freaking out trying to turn it off.

Correct me of I am wrong but tried this when I arrived in Nassau and got every text sent the last few days. I was freaking out trying to turn it off.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe with iOS 5 and iMessage, one can send or receive text messages via cellular data or wifi.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe with iOS 5 and iMessage, one can send or receive text messages via cellular data or wifi.

But it's not 'free' on the ship! For wifi you have to pay for the internet package ... for texting, you will be charged per text -- check with your carrier and read up on the cellular at sea.

Has anyone taken their iphone and used as mp3 player WITHOUT being charged roaming fees???

Thanks

Under your network settings you can turn your "cellular data" off and

as well turn on you "Turn data of while roaming" Then the only way it will be able to connect is through wifi

Thanks

You can also set it to home only..so it wont roam

Archived