teen program - any info?

We will be cruising on RCI for the first time next week. My 15 yr old son will be with us. He's a pretty easy going kid - not overly shy - into sports. Was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on the teen program on RCI. Did your kids enjoy it? Any thing stand out? Anything to know ahead of time? While I looked all over the RCI website I really didn't find that much about it.

Thanks in advance

My kids have been in teen programs for a while now and love them. The main thing I would tell you is to make sure your son goes to the meet and greet the first night. Often this is when the kids make their friends for the week. After the first night they may choose to meet up with their new friends and go to the teen center or somewhere else on the ship. If kids don't make those contact the first night it is sometimes harder to do so.

Depending on which ship you are sailing on there will be slightly different activities. However, one thing to know is that if they don't have enough kids in attendance for an activity it may not happen.

There are version of the teen compasses out on this site. All ships are similar, but each has their own tweaks to the program.

If this is your son's first cruise, make sure to set some rules before you board to alleviate some issues. Some basics we use are don't go in other cabins, nobody in your cabin, watch you drink, stay in groups. Have lots more, but most are common sense.

I totally agree with the above......but first, make sure your cabin steward knows you have a teen. Mine did not and she did not get the compasses for the first three days. By then, all the teens had connected and she was on her own. Get the compass and make sure to go first night.

The teen M-and-G is listed in the regular compass, but since you've never cruised RCCI before, it would not hurt to stop at the Adventure Ocean "table" during embarkation. It is really there to put muster station bands on the U12 set, it is staffed by the AO staff and they can get you some of the details specific to your ship and your cruise.

DD (now 16YO) has rarely really "participated" in the teen events, but does use the teen club as a place to meet other kids. Then they will "hang" together. As others have stated, going to the mixer the first night and connecting with some other kids is the most important part.

Is the teen M&G the "Adventure Ocean Registration and Family Fun Expo"?

My boys rarely do the kids' clubs but I love the advice of having them at least attend the teen M&G to get to meet others their age. Thanks!

Edited to say: Never mind :-), I found it on a Compass that a fellow CC member had uploaded. It's called the Teen Mix 'n Mingle.

Archived