Gluten free diet

Thanks for your experience. What kind of desserts did they make special?

While on the Sun...Willie (our Maitre D) made gluten free cookie which were delicious....Wilson on the Spirit came up with a different fruit and ice cream treat for my wife every night. My wife could tell you so many more instances when the wait staff went above and beyond for her.

engineer

I eat gluten free and recently sailed on Norwegian. We ate in the specialty restaurants every night, so because I was always in a different restaurant, I was not able to pre-order my dinner. However, I never had a problem finding something I liked on the menu that was gluten free. There were a few times when the staff would say to pick something else because that particular item had gluten in it, but I usually could get my 1st or 2nd choice. I found the staff to be knowledgeable about gluten free diets. If they didn't know they would ask the chef, so I always felt good about dining on the ship. So basically I didn't have to notify the specialty restaurants ahead of time; all I had to do was show up.

If you do want a particular item that is flour based (like gf pizza or waffles), they sometimes suggested I pre-order it or else wait longer for them to prepare it (since they have to go to a separate gluten free kitchen on the ship). It took me a while to figure out that I had to order it from the main dining room, so sometimes I made sure to go there for breakfast or lunch. However, there were a few times I just showed up for breakfast, ordered the waffles, and were served them quickly. Maybe it depends how busy they are?

I even found plenty of things at the buffet. The restaurant manager said not to eat anything with sauces, so i avoided those. I easily found food there, but the worst part was passing by the dessert table and being unable to eat almost all of those. :( All I could have was chocolate fondue, ice cream, and jello (I didn't eat the jello).

I'm afraid you got cheated. We were on the Sun 10/2010, my dd has celiac and she was able to get a lot more for dessert than that. They had carmel flan, chocolate melting cake, strawberry shortcake and chocolate mouse. I know she could also have the ice cream and a few other things but now I don't remember exactley what they were. So you may want to check with the Maitre d as they are really helpful with making sure that you are able to get a large selection of food to choose from. :D

Archived