Zuiderdam Accessibility Review

DEL67

We went to the Eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam last week. In general the ship was very accessible.

Our cabin, 5137, was where the ship widened so the door was perpendicular to the hallway making it easy to get the wheelchair in. It also was just a few doors from the elevator so my husband had little difficulty with the hall being blocked. At first glance the turning space in the cabin was tight for my husband's powerchair which has elevated leg rests; however once I had the cabin steward remove my night stand and move the bed over, he had enough space. The bathroom which had a roll-in shower and roll-under sink did not have turning space, but was adequate. The veranda was bigger then most and well ramped so he was able to enjoy it with us. There really was not enough storage space though.

My husband had no problems moving around the ship. We only had two issues. After taking a quick glance at the show lounge the first day, I asked the front desk where wheelchair passengers sit. I was told the front was ramped, but when I mentioned that there was no space for a wheelchair there, I was that we should sit at the back of the second level. As a result, we spent a lot of time looking at performers knees because of the overhang of the 3rd level. It was only on the last day that I found out from another passenger that there was space for wheelchairs on the 3rd level. I feel that not only should the front desk have known that, but the cruise staff staationed at the lounge door shouls have known and suggested we go upstairs.

The second issue was the public HC bathrooms. Most were always locked. When I asked at the front desk, I was told that someone was probably in them even though I had tried them at different times of the day and night and even when most passengers were off the ship. I even tried one just after the cleaners left - it was locked.

In spite of these two issues, I would definitely recomend the Zuiderdam as a good choice for wheelchairs.

Glad to read your comments, and glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves!

We leave Saturday on our second Zuiderdam cruise. We've also sailed on the Oosterdam.

As far as the Vista Lounge, you are talking about the first level [deck 2] versus the second level [deck 3], right?

We did find the overhang to be annoying. We did go to the second level for the shows, which was much better.

But I agree -- the theater is not very accessible, at least not the good seats!

DH is in a powerchair and found the rooms very spacious [we had 6003 and 6004, I believe] but they were far from the elevators. This became problematic when there were obstacles in the hallway, such as the linen carts or, on the last night, all the luggage.

DH did not use the balcony. He felt it was too small.

We've decided to upgrade ourselves to an SS this time [and in the fall] so the location is mid-ship and should be less problematic.

DH generally heads back to the cabin to use the restroom, but I do remember on occasion finding the public accessible bathrooms locked. :(

Archived