Which UHF radio channels to use on board

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we have used UHF walkie talkies many times when our girls where younger and yes they were great and much cheaper than a cell phone option. We never had any problems with cut ins from crews units. Now sailing with teenagers so days of the good old walkie talky have gone, way too "uncool" for them so enjoy while you can ha ha if they are for the kids if for adults then no worries there.:)

Thanks for posting this question, as we're cruising in a couple of days, and I was trying to think of no cost ways of finding each other onboard and hadn't thought of using our UHF's.....just got to find them now :confused:

Maybe the lack of answers to the original question should lead me to ask a more general question, how do you keep in touch with each other when on board?

I suggest you post a new question along those lines being specific about whether your interest is keeping in touch with an adult travelling companion or teenage children etc. You could also try over on the Ask a Cruise Question Board for answers from a wider group. We (as a couple without children travelling with us) stay in touch by staying together or agreeing where and when to meet after doing something differently AND sticking to the agreement.

Some crew use UHF radios so we dont want to use 'their' channels.

Their channels will most likely be commercial allocations and not available on the UHF CB radios you're planning on taking.

Archived