Maiden Eastbound Tandem Crossing -- One Year Anniversary

Crouton

I just read Shipping Out's wonderful memories from the QM2's Maiden Westbound Crossing a year ago, and I decided I wanted to do something similar for the Maiden Eastbound crossing which followed.

I was going to write something new, but then I searched the CC archives and found that the daily reports I wrote and posted from the ship during the crossing were still available -- albeit hanging on by their teeth as the one year automatic deletion looms.

So...I've decided to just link to them one last time while I can rather than write something new , in case anyone is interested. I've also posted a couple of excerpts below.

Link to 2004 Maiden Eastbound Crossing Thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=17361

Excerpts:

Day One:

"...All of us were stunned by the overwhelming sendoff we received from you in New York. It was just lovely and friendly and happy. One moment that became instantly etched in my mind was when QE2 came charging up after the fireworks and passed us very close on the starboard side. It was like she came floating out of a dream -- which in a way she did -- and we could hear the cheering from those on board.

"It was hard to believe that all the police boats, helicopters and traffic jams were for us. I started out watching the fireworks from the 11 Deck forward observation platform, but it got so crowded that I headed inside and ended up watching them from the outside elevator going up and down with a mother and her daughter. It was surreal.

"The biggest news I have to share is that the two ships are indeed travelling side by side --albeit perhaps 3/4 of a mile apart. We awoke for find QE2 on our port side this morning, and she switched to the starboard side around lunchtime. Right now it is pitch black outside, but QE2 remains all lit up to starboard -- maybe as much as mile off....."

Day Three:

"...What a difference a day makes!

"The sun came out today, the ocean turned blue, the deck chair cushions came out, and the promenade deck was filled with strolling passengers. In particular, the open deck aft on the promenade deck was filled with people crashed out, sunning, or reading in deckchairs -- and the air temperature was actually warm in places.

"QE2 was off our starboard side perhaps as close as she has come -- maybe a half mile but it's hard to tell. She looked absolutely lovely in the dark blue ocean with the sun shining brightly on her white superstructure, cutting through the ocean with obvious grace and confidence -- a truly beautiful sight, and the more so with appreciation for her history. The railing was FILLED with people posing for pictures with QE2 in the background.

"At one point an American man in full regailia (kilt, cap, flags etc) appeared with bagpipe led a parade of passengers down the starboard promenade deck. He paused amidships to "pipe QE2" in a small ritual that I didn't understand, before proceeding to the aft deck where everyone ran to grab his photo."

Last day:

"...Today at around 2pm we came within sight of Land's End in Cornwall. A Royal Airforce Nimrod reconnaissance jet and a Hawk fighter jet came out to welcome the ship. They did 3-4 dramatic, very close low level passes -- all caught on film by a TV (?) helicopter that also came out for pics.

QE2 came as close as she's been since the fireworks in New York, less than 1/4 mile off to starboard -- and posed with us as we crept along about 5 knots or so I think. Passengers lined the deck of both ships. A HM Customs patrol boat also came out.

As we entered the channel, a dense fog and drizzle suddenly enveloped us. At least in my mind, this seems somehow perfect given all the WWII movies. So we are blowing our whistle every 2-3 minutes like a fog horn -- which, having grown up in San Francisco, is like music to my ears."

Archived