Celebrity Cruises Discrimination?

NYCruisers10019

He has the right to believe whatever he wants, but he is expected to perform the duties of his job in the same efficient, friendly and courteous manner for all passengers who occupy the staterooms to which he is assigned, regardless of his personal beliefs.

I did say he was in the wrong job. If his beliefs (which I do not share) make him treat passengers poorly, he is not in the right job.

The OP does not mention the age or ethnicity of the cabin steward so it's difficult to know whether this was a recent hire from a culture where the gay community is still repressed or if it was an established cabin steward. If it is the former, the cabin attendant may still be adjusting to differences in cultures. It doesn't excuse his behavior, but it is one explanation.

The reason I mentioned that is because one of the times that I sailed with just my mom, we had a young cabin steward from Pakistan. I think it was his second week of service so he was still adjusting to a different culture as well as being away from his home. He seemed shocked when he found out my mom and I did not have our husbands with us. In fact, he mentioned several times that it was not proper for women to travel without men. It was annoying that he thought us incapable of taking a cruise without our husbands but I chalked it up to his being new and from a culture where women were more sheltered. I didn't mention anything to the supervisor but hopefully the steward adjusted his thinking regarding women.

With regard to specifying bed configuration in advance, I always do that, but it doesn't always get done per my request. In several cases when my husband and I were together, I requested the beds together and it wasn't done when we arrived. My last cruise was with my aunt and I requested the beds be separated. They were together when we arrived and didn't get separated until we returned from dinner.

Archived