Day pass in Nassau or Freeport

crenee44

We are looking to do a beach day in either Nassau or Freeport and were thinking of a day pass at a resort. We have 5 adults and an 18 month old. We are looking for somewhere with sun and shade on the beach with chairs and basic activities included, maybe a pool for the little guy since he can't use the one on the ship, and it would be great if food and drink was included.

We will be there in late October. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

We went to the Grand Lucayan (Radison) in Freeport. It was only $10pp and I think $5 for kids. Several pools, one with a waterfall, one with a swim up bar, one an infinity pool that spilled out onto the beach. Beach loungers on sand and pool, umbrellas, and tables with chairs.

There is a cute marketplace across the street where we shopped and bought an adorable coconut frozen drink. The lady chopped the coconut off right in front of us and poured it in for $7. There were also some nice eateries there.

Here is a link with some photos.

http://www.oyster.com/bahamas/hotels/radisson-grand-lucayan/#

We went to the Grand Lucayan (Radison) in Freeport. It was only $10pp and I think $5 for kids. Several pools, one with a waterfall, one with a swim up bar, one an infinity pool that spilled out onto the beach. Beach loungers on sand and pool, umbrellas, and tables with chairs.

There is a cute marketplace across the street where we shopped and bought an adorable coconut frozen drink. The lady chopped the coconut off right in front of us and poured it in for $7. There were also some nice eateries there.

Here is a link with some photos.

http://www.oyster.com/bahamas/hotels/radisson-grand-lucayan/#

We just did the same thing last week and really had a great day. We'd been to Freeport a couple of times before and had come to consider it sort of a boring port. Truth is, we considered remaining on the ship this time. But, a member of the entertainment staff on the ship suggested the Radsison beach pass and we decided to give it a try. Turned out to be a wonderful decision. The grounds are really nice, the multiple pools are clean and nicely landscaped and right next to the beach. And, the Lucaya marketplace is right across the street for a shopping break. We went from thinking we'd never want to go to Freeport again to thinking we wouldn't mind another beach/shopping combo day at the Radison.

How do you get from the ship to the Radison?

Just walked off the ship and there is a taxi area. There are vans that they stuff as many people in as humanly possible before departing and charge $5 pp one way. Ours charged us $10 pp round trip (same difference) then gave us a card to use for the return trip. I was a little bit skeptical, so gave myself extra time to shop at the port in case we had to actually call a cab, but no just as the driver said there was a cab employee (not our cabbie) in the spot he said loading up cabs for the return and honored our cards just like planned.

Here is the thing I think about Freeport. You will see tons of posts "don't get off the ship" "no point to Freeport". From everything I have read all these people who say this just walked off the ship. Yes there is NOTHING to do right off the ship. Except a little shopping that Carnival has set up & a bar where they will encourage you to get wasted and "be pushed in a wheel barrel we have back to the ship" and staring at a shipyard all day. Port Lucaya is a cab ride away or take an excursion and I think you should be happy. It is the area that you exit the ship that is boring. As long as you know that, there shouldn't be a problem.

Carnival would be smart to offer a free shuttle and I think some of the bad reviews wouldn't be out there.

When we were unloading our suitcases from our car to board the ship on our very first day some people shouted out to us who had just disembarked "Have a great time, but don't bother getting off the ship in Freeport" That just isn't true. All you have to do is take a cab with everyone else from the ship.

Thanks for the help! I've been to Our Lucaya & Port Lucaya (years ago) but not from a cruise ship.

We're toying with doing the ATV excursion - but just hanging at the Radison might just be a close 2nd.

Thanks again.

Archived