Using a French Press onboard

calex1976

This post brought back a lot of memories. I think it was just before my 3rd cruise.  I had never been a coffee drinker myself until we went to Ochoa Rio's. Blue mountain coffee is one of my favorites still. On one of our last cruises I had not brought the areo press and was tired of the free coffee.  I bought the Irish coffee at the coffee bar. It was much better than expected, the few shots of Jameson Whiskey in it was nice also.  

Crewsweeper is correct, a French press can be messy and time consuming.  So like everything with cruising do what you like to enjoy your cruise. Weather it's making your own or buying coffee from the bar. One thing I learned was if you have to drink ship coffee a little ice cream does sweeten it and helps with the bitterness.  Also if they still sell the tortuga coffee in the gift shop it is really good.

Thanks everyone for keeping this a good discussion instead of an argument. 

Again calex1976, thanks for the tips, and I'll surely keep those in mind. I have done this 'route' numerous times, but first time on RC Liberty of The Seas. We are really looking forward to spending our Thanksgiving holiday with our oldest daughter and 3 teen grands...no spending hours in the kitchen on Thanksgiving playing Betty Crocker for THIS grandmother! hahaha! I'll be cruising the Western Caribbean and sipping my, however good or bad, however hot or tepid, however bitter or sweet ..... coffee. Imma' enjoy the hell out of it!  hahahaha!  Thanks again and I truly enjoyed our conversation. 

2 hours ago, jeanneful said:

I love using a French Press. Where do you dispose of the coffee grounds?

As I noted before, please bring a supply of sandwich bags to put the grounds in, seal them, and then into the cabin trash can.

I brought the Aeropress onto the Imagination early last month.  It was fine, but I stopped using it after the first morning.  Largely because we had a 5AM coffee call up in the Lido buffet, and I was just too tired to get it out and go. 

Plus, the Aeropress doesn't make a large cup.  I usually put it over the cup, put the grinds in, pour hot water over the cup, let some (about  1/3) run into the cup, refill to the top and put the plunger on.  Then let it sit for a minute, then plunge and drink.  This method is just too much for me at that early morning hour up at the lido deck.

I ended up just filled the coffee cup with their coffee half way and then with hot water for the rest of the cruise.  Wasn't good but wasn't all that bad either.

Cleaning up the Aeropress wasn't a problem as the grinds are nearly dried after press.  I would just remove the bottom and press the grinds into the trash bag.

For my next cruise, I will bring my 20oz Starbucks travel mug and might do the Aeropress, but likely just the instant coffee.

I wouldn't think to bring the regular french press.  Aeropress is fine in my opinion if you want pressed coffee.

Edited by 74hc