When a Carnival transfer is not a Carnival transfer

Dickiemint

When they book it with another transfers company!

NOTE: More aimed at UK Carnival cruisers, as it may be different for other countries.

Just back off Breeze (9 - 21 July) we found out the hard way that the airport/cruise terminal transfers we'd booked with Carnival were not on the Carnival buses.

How many of you thought you'd booked a Carnival transfer, but found it was with an independent company? How many have booked a transfer with Carnival for a future cruise?

We found ours was with a company called ResortHoppa. Our main problem was with the return, as we didn't really work out what was happening on the way in despite having to hike to Terminal 2 unecessarily. Checking with Guest Services on the ship why we were being disembarked at 0700 with a transfer time of 1000, and a flight time of 1305, they denied all Carnival responsibility for the transfer.

There is no arrivals lounge at Barcelona, you have to wait outside in the heat.

To cut a very long story short, a GS rep came out to us, and called the transfer company and got them to come out immediately.

My point is that having thought we'd booked flights, transfers and gratuities direct with Carnival through our travel agent (co-op), Carnival denied all responsibility for them. They even put a line on the transfer vouchers.

"Proper" Carnival transfers put your luggage onto the bus, and you get to go on the air conditioned bus as soon as you disembark.

I'd like to know how common this practice is in the UK, and why.

Richard

I always thought the transfers were done by private companies, much like shore excursions. The cruiseline makes it easier for the traveler who doesn't want todo things on their own. A level of comfort, if you will.

All Carnival transfers are arranged through independent companies.

A sad story was posted here a ways back (maybe a couple of years) about the entire bus load of pax who missed their ship. They thought by booking the Carnival transfer that they were guaranteed to make it to the ship. They found out differently. I'm sure that it was the rarest of rare occurances, but I it did happened.

The Carnival charged for transfers back to the airport were on buses, many of them, each of which had a big "Carnival" sign on it. Also they were being sold on the ship and outside the terminal as Carnival transfers.

And the Guest Services person said my transfer voucher was not a Carnival transfer. Funny as having complained to ResortHoppa about the late transfer time, they replied saying Carnival, who booked it, had to make the complaint!

Under UK law (being pursued) I believe this is an illegal term. Carnival cannot refuse to take responsibility for a service they have taken money for.

Richard

Archived