2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

What a FANTASTIC trip!!!

First off, I have to apologize to those who started following my attempted "live from" thread I started at the beginning of our trip. I figured I would have the time, energy and internet access to make a decent attempt, but between our schedule, internet connection speed and once on the ship - cost - it just didn't work out after my first few entries. So, for those who started there and decided to check out our post trip, there will be a bit of duplication in the beginning, but I'll put some additional detail and a bunch more photos into this review.

Now...on to the review!

*A quick outline before I dive into the details. My wife Beverly & I spent a week on the Kenai Peninsula, staying in Anchorage on arrival night, then heading to Homer for three days, a day trip to Soldotna on the way to Seward, three days in Seward, then departing on Radiance of the Seas southbound to Vancouver. If you have any questions along the way, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!

Ok, here we go!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 Friday 7/6/12 – headed to Anchorage! No photos worth posting on Day 1. I promise there will be a few later on;) We flew US Airways from Charlotte to Phoenix, then Phoenix to Anchorage. Last year when I started setting this trip up, I thought that would be a good thing. We had $1300 in credit vouchers from a flight bump on last year's cruise out of San Juan (that was STILL a good thing). In addition, last summer US Air had 5 flights a day to Anchorage to choose from, including a couple non-stops from Philadelphia. I figured we'd be able to book a short hop to Philly, then fly straight to Anchorage.

Not this year!

For whatever reason, US Air only has a single flight to Anchorage each day this year.

One flight...

Through Phoenix...

Leaving at 8:05pm...

Arriving in Anchorage at 12:33am...

Sigh:rolleyes:

So, we didn't leave Charlotte for Alaska until 4:35pm - which just seemed like a weird plan:eek:. On the other hand, we got two tickets from Charlotte to Anchorage, and Seattle to Charlotte for a total of $217, so it was a no brainer:D. Before we left, the departure from Phoenix was moved up to 7:50pm - so things were already improving! We were also able to use miles to upgrade the first leg of our trip from Charlotte to Phoenix to first class, so it was a nice way to start the trip. We even had dinner on the flight - Bev had cheese ravioli and I had teriyaki beef. When it came out, it didn't look super appealing - like just short of making me rethink my dislike of the mushrooms in Bev's dish, but it actually turned out pretty tasty. We had a little less than a two hour layover, and then off to Anchorage. Both flights went well, each arriving early (whaoo!) which we needed. Our flight arrived in Anchorage at 11:58pm, so while it was ahead of schedule, it was also 3:58am in North Carolina, so we were a bit weary!

By the time we got bags (quick off the plane), rental car (Avis at the airport - quick and easy), check in to the Embassy Suites in Anchorage (yea free night thanks to points!) and got to bed, it was 2am/6am. The hotel and the room was excellent. A little more earthy/outdoorsy than your average Embassy Suites. Unfortunately we couldn't elect to sleep in late to try and get our feet under us or enjoy the hotel fully as we had to be in Homer mid-afternoon to check in for our first big adventure of the trip. NOT the best way to start a trip to Alaska. At least it's almost time for breakfast!

L.J.

This is how our flight will be as well!!! Believe me, I would not have chosen this particular flight (we are also coming from the east coast), but that's a long story. Nice to see you survived that first day!:) We are actually going to arrive the night before originally planned, at quite an expense to change these flights, but we'll be able to rest the next day.

Thank you so much for posting your experience!

This is how our flight will be as well!!! Believe me, I would not have chosen this particular flight (we are also coming from the east coast), but that's a long story. Nice to see you survived that first day!:) We are actually going to arrive the night before originally planned, at quite an expense to change these flights, but we'll be able to rest the next day.

Thank you so much for posting your experience!

firefly,

Taking that extra day will help a lot. The next time we go, I will NOT make plans for the very first day (unless their local to Anchorage):D. Made us WAY too tired the rest of the first week:(.

L.J.

To give you an idea of how much meat you get from a couple of good sized halibut, this photo shows how big a couple of the filets were, with my sized 13 boot for scale comparison:

untitled-2664-2.jpg

Fish cleaned and filets in hand, we took one last look at the Icy Lady before we haeded up to get the fish packed and shipped home:

untitled-2680-2.jpg

A quick walk along the docks and we were back on dry land. The Hoonah Fish Company was conveniently located right across the street from the marina. Capt Chris brought us inside and we worked out the packing and shipping arrangements for our fish. Thanks to my Dad's big fish, we had a bit more fish than we really wanted to send home. So we asked about donating some locally. I had been told we could do that from one charter before we came to Alaska, but in each spot along the way, we had received conflicting reports about how and why is we illegal to do so. Same confusion here in Hoonah, so they actually called an Alaska State Trooper that worked in their area and asked him. He said we could donated some of our catch to the local Senior Center, and the nice woman at the Hoonah Fish Company agreed to separate out half our catch and get it to the Senior Center. Fish shipping resolved, we headed back to ISP and the ship.

My Dad front porch sitting at the Hoonah Fish Company

untitled-2717-2.jpg

One our way through the town center of Hoonah, I grabbed a couple of shots of Town Hall and a couple of others places on our way back to the drop off.

untitled-2723-2.jpg

untitled-2724-2.jpg

untitled-2725-2.jpg

Once we cleared town, it was about a mile or so along the edge of the bay back to the drop off area at ISP.

L.J.

The road that runs from Hoonah to Icy Straight Point makes for a quick run between the two spots. Here's a look at Radiance floating in the bay as we rode back along the shoreline.

untitled-2730-2.jpg

Being tribal land, non-native vendors can't just drive into the ISP parking area. So there's a small gravel parking lot/pick up area right outside the security gate. Before we haded inside the gate, I walked back down the road a little bit to get a couple of shots of the Cannery from shore.

untitled-2735-2.jpg

untitled-2821.jpg

Here's a shot of the security building the greeting sign for visitors.

Check Point ISP:

untitled-2752-2.jpg

Welcome to Icy Straight Point & Hoonah sign

untitled-1160-3.jpg

Our excursion finally officially done, we headed inside to collect some souvenirs and make our way back to Radiance and a fine steak dinner at Chops!!!

L.J.

After passing through the gate and back into the Icy Straight Point property, this is a look at the parking area as you head towards the Cannery proper.

untitled-2753-2.jpg

Just past the tree on the left in the photo above was a new food kiosk (pictured next) on the left, and the Heritage Center Theater on the right.

The other side of the tree...

untitled-2771-2.jpg

The food kiosk, which we didn't remember from 2009, served coffee, fresh sugar spice donuts, and flash fried tornado potatoes! We (and by we I mean I) had tried the donuts on the morning (terrific), and we were hungry from catching all those fish, so we stopped for another snack. The women working the stand were very friendly and funny to chat with while we waited on our food.

Side View:

untitled-2763-2.jpg

Serving Customers:

2012Alaska-2871.jpg

A view of the menu and the bay

untitled-2769-2.jpg

Working on our Spiral Tornado Potato!

untitled-2766-2.jpg

Next up - some shots of the Heritage Center Theater and the Zip Line above...

L.J.

I'm so excited to start planning a trip after reading this review! Thanks for the inspiration LJ! Since you have been in different months, what is your recommendation for the optimal time to go on a land/ cruise? What month would have better chances of warmer weather with less rain? Also, is there a preferred side of the ship if you got a balcony cabin?

Edited by travelnut4

I'm so excited to start planning a trip after reading this review! Thanks for the inspiration LJ! Since you have been in different months, what is your recommendation for the optimal time to go on a land/ cruise? What month would have better chances of warmer weather with less rain? Also, is there a preferred side of the ship if you got a balcony cabin?

travelnut4,

Planning is half the fun sometimes (ok - all the time for me, especially when we're heading to Alaska)! We have only been twice, but here's what I can tell you from our experience.

1) Most of this July trip the weather was close to the same as it was in May in 2009 - low to mid 50s for highs, lower 40s for lows. We actually had more sunshine and less rain in May than July. The rain tracks - while everyone has certainly had different experiences in Alaska - as statistically May is one of the driest months, if not the driest, with September being the wettest. Based on trip reviews after ours, the weather really semed to warm up and dry up through the end of July and August, at least in the cruise areas. I know some summers it's been in the 70s & 80s, so it may be worth a few extra showers to take the shot at warmer weather:D.

On the other hand I don't live there and I've seen folks post other experiences. Three of the days on this trip - the one to Wolverine Creek, the day at Hubbard Glacier, and our day in Ketchikan, I was down to a t-shirt. The other days, however, were very cool/wet. So, as everyones says - layers & flexibility are key.

2) We found prices on rental cars and accomodations to be somewhat to half the price going during the shoulder season in May versus peak time in July. Didn't seem to have the same issue in terms of excursions or dining, but cars and rooms add up quick depending on how long you are on your land tour, and if you are doing it yourself, or on an arranged tour. We prefer going on our own so we can stop and start as we wish, but that's not for everyone.

3) As for sides of the ship, I've seen lots of folks post lots of ideas about which is better heading north, south, round trips, etc. I can tell you this: we were mid ship starboard side, and ended up with both shore side and harborside tie ups in different ports, so to me it really wouldn't matter - as long as you get a balcony if you can (still don't care about one in the Caribbean, but would defintely want one on another cruise in Alaska!).

4) We're planningon going back in 2015, and likely it'll be the end of August/begining of September to try and catch some Silver salmon (and bears - by camera only!), as well as some of the fall color in Denali. Then we'll really have co0vered the beginning, middle and end of the season!

Good luck and have fun, and if there's anything else I may be able to help with, please let me know. If I don't know/haven't experienced it yet, likely someone on here will have!

L.J.

Thanks for finishing this now! I needed a mid-winter refresher and reliving that wonderful trip is perfect.

Same here! I just watched a piece on Travel America that had a segment on Hallo Bay & Katmai and I swear some of the bears looked familiar - the spots they filmed in sure did!

L.J.

So, one of the things I do regret in our two trips to ISP is not getting a chance to see some of the activities - especially the dancing, at the Heritage Theater. Pictured below are some shots of the Heritage Theater, where you can go to see the Tlingit share their songs, stories and dances. It's just a short distance from the Cannery, so it makes for an easily accessible shore excursion here, while offering a great chance to learn some of the culture from the people who make ISP & Hoonah their home. Most everyone I've talked to on the cruises that have attended a performance have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Huna Tlingit Heritage Theater coming from the entry gate:

untitled-2760-2.jpg

Huna Tlingit Heritage Theater coming from the Cannery (if you can view the photo big enough you can see the bottom of the famous zip line above the roof & totem poles):

untitled-2773-2.jpg

Two large totem poles greet you and frame the main entrance to the theater. A closer look at the totem poles and building carved wood art:

2012Alaska-2847.jpg

2012Alaska-2857.jpg

2012Alaska-2859.jpg

2012Alaska-2841.jpg

Having only time to take some photos of the wonderful wood work, and finally done with our cheesy tornado potato, we headed into the Cannery to stock up on some things from the various shops, and make our way back to Radiance.

L.J.

WalleyeLJ, your pictures are just awe-inspiring! Has anyone asked you on this post what kind of camera lenses you took with you to Alaska? I'd love to get a few of the type of wonderful wildlife pictures you did, but don't want to carry the wrong lenses to get them. Thanks! :)

Thanks MSM!

The questions has been asked but I'll be glad to answer. My primary camera is a Canon 7D (it shoots 8 frames per second - key for the upcoming eagle phots in Ketchikan), with a Canon 50D as back up/alternate (if I was using both at the same time for wildlife and scenic shots). The wildlife photos were shot with either a Sigma 150-500mm OS (optically stablized) or a Canon 70-200, f/2.8 IS (image stablized) lens. The mid to wide angle shots were primarily a Canon 18-200mm IS, often with a circular polarizer attached, and I also rented a Canon 17-40mm f/4 for the trip.

Renting is a nice way to go to bring some nice lenses without putting out a ton of money for one, if you at least have a DSLR body. You can even rent those if you need to but they do take a little time to get use to all the functions (unlike renting just lenses).

Nikon, Sony, Sigma and Olympus all offer good to great systems, both cameras and lens, if you aren't a Canon person. I happen to be, so that's what I know best. If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them!

L.J.

Getting around ISP is pretty easy, but there are directional signs to lend a helping hand if you need them.

untitled-2778-2.jpg

While my parents had gone straight back to the ship, we as usual (ok - me as usual), dawdled around on shore as long as possible. We found some good deals in the various gift shops - especially a nice new coffee mug with some totem art on it. I apologize for not getting shots of the shops, but I did get one of some of the nets hanging in the museum/interpretive section. There are several old pieces of canning machinery there and it was very cool to see how they worked.

untitled-2782-2.jpg

One funny thing that happened was one of the employees noticed my Tony Stewart hat and started up a conversation with us as it turned out he was a huge NASCAR fan and Tony Stewart was his favorite driver. Turns out he DRVs all the races and then watches them when he gets a chance. We chatted for a few minutes, completed our purchases, and headed out to take the tender back to Radiance. These next few shots show the front of the Cannery that you would first approach (or in this case last see) while tendering.

The view to the left (next three photos)

untitled-2783-2.jpg

untitled-2788-2.jpg

untitled-2787-2.jpg

The view looking down from the front deck at Radiance and some of the tender boats.

untitled-2784-2.jpg

L.J.

I feel as if I've already been to Icy Strait Point but I haven't yet - just over 200 days and a dream comes true. :) Thanks for sharing the great pictures LJ!

Sue, you are welcome! As much as I shown and while ISP is pretty small, I'm sure there's much more to discover! I'm glad your dream is coming true. I thought 2009 would be our only time, and yet we were fortunately able to return again last July, and each port, each day, each activity has held new and exciting experiences for us each time!

L.J.

Thank you so much for this review! We switched from a European cruise to an Alaska cruise in 2013. Alaska is one of the few states I have not had the privilege to visit yet-but I am so excited to visit now. I am somewhat a beginning photographer and your pictures have inspired me!!

May I ask what type of camera you are using? (Forgive me if I missed the info)

Thank you-Thank you-Thank you for your beautiful pics and great review!!

Thank you so much for this review! We switched from a European cruise to an Alaska cruise in 2013. Alaska is one of the few states I have not had the privilege to visit yet-but I am so excited to visit now. I am somewhat a beginning photographer and your pictures have inspired me!!

May I ask what type of camera you are using? (Forgive me if I missed the info)

Thank you-Thank you-Thank you for your beautiful pics and great review!!

mmbcaster,

I'm glad you've enjoyed it! Europe is on our to do list, but with Alaska constantly calling, I don't know when we'll make it! I use a Canon 7D and 50D. I posted some more detailed information on this post earlier today. Most people wouldn't want to carry all the gear I do:D, but I love it, so 2 cameras, 4 lenses (sometimes more), tons of batteries and memory cards and other accessories it is! Believe it or not, I really do take time to appreciate all the things we do, but the photos help keep the memories vivid years later - and help me share our experiences with others!

L.J.

Hi LJ

I've really enjoyed your review and pictures. We're doing a 19 day Cruisetour between June 26 and Jul 14 this year. After seeing all your pictures and info about your cameras and lenses I was going to buy a Sigma 150-500 lens for my Canon SLR. After I got to the camera shop and saw how big it was and how heavy it was, the sales person showed me the new Panasonic FZ200 camera with equivalent zoom from 25mm - 600mm and f2.8 for the full range. So I bought it and so far I'm really impressed with the quality of the pictures. I think it's going to do a great job for me.

Can't wait to get to Alaska!

Hi LJ

I've really enjoyed your review and pictures. We're doing a 19 day Cruisetour between June 26 and Jul 14 this year. After seeing all your pictures and info about your cameras and lenses I was going to buy a Sigma 150-500 lens for my Canon SLR. After I got to the camera shop and saw how big it was and how heavy it was, the sales person showed me the new Panasonic FZ200 camera with equivalent zoom from 25mm - 600mm and f2.8 for the full range. So I bought it and so far I'm really impressed with the quality of the pictures. I think it's going to do a great job for me.

Can't wait to get to Alaska!

Glen,

The FZ200 looks like a great choice for your trip. We had Canon Powershot SX40HS with us on the trip for when I didn't want to carry/use my DSLRs, but in reality it's best purpose was for shooting the 1080p video, which my wife loves to do while I shoot stills. Large or small, a camera with a wide zoom range (or lenses) is a must for Alaska:D!

L.J.

Next up - the view to the right, starting with the main entrance into the Cannery!

untitled-2792-2.jpg

Mmmmm...Espresso & Snacks!

untitled-2794-2.jpg

Kayaks Are Never Far away in Alaska!

untitled-2796-2.jpg

One last look. Last trip here it was overcast, so the photos of the logo looked a bit flat...

untitled-2801-2.jpg

A quick walk down the gangway onto the loading deck, into our tender, and up top we went. With the weather so nice, we wanted to soak in the views all we could all the way back to the ship. Things were extra busy as the Celebrity Century had dropped anchor while we were getting the fish cleaned, and while Radiance passengers were heading out, Century passengers were headed in! Here are a couple of shots looking down on the busy view below.

untitled-2804-2.jpg

One of the big boats used for whale watching down at Point Adolphus is in the right of this photo:

untitled-2806-2.jpg

L.J.

Finally, sadly, we were underway back to Radiance. She's a beautiful ship, but I love spending every minute we can on shore!

A look at the "landing zone" from the water - and a few of our fellow tender rooftop dwellers

untitled-2812-2.jpg

Celebrity Century tender heading in...

2012Alaska-2883.jpg

There she sits purty, a gleamin' in the (fading) sun...Celebrity Century

2012Alaska-2904.jpg

Celebrity tendering heading back to the ship, Radiance tender waiting in the background, and folks on the road to Hoonah in the background. If you look hard in the back left you'll see the parking area where you meet non-ISP tours. The security gate and Welcome to ISP/Hoonah sign would be just to the left of that...

2012Alaska-2916.jpg

Usually ISP is a one ship a day port, given the lack of dock and the more limited selection of things to do, but all in all there really wasn't a problem in terms of people because the overlap wasn't too bad.

L.J.

So, a quick 5 minute run back to the ship, and up to our room we went to drop off our stuff and rest a bit before dinner. Having a balcony for the first time ever, we tried to take full advantage of it when we could:

Bev & I - tired but happy - with the Cannery in the background

untitled-1169-3.jpg

The tip of ISP before heading back out into Icy Straight proper

2012Alaska-2900.jpg

One last look before we sailed out of sight...

2012Alaska-2943.jpg

Having turned the corner and fully underway, we settled in for a quick nap before getting ready for our best meal of the trip - dinner at Chops!!!

L.J.

So, we are up to the seminal culinary event of the trip - our traditional dinner in Chops Grille, RCI's flagship steakhouse. We've eaten at least once at Chops on every RCI cruise we've taken, and unlike our one Carnival experience, it has never disappointed! So, after a well fished for nap, we were ready to eat!

If you haven't been on Radiance before, Chops Grille is located on Deck 6, aft of the main atrium, and like Giovanni's Table, is accessed from inside the Schooner Bar starboard/right side of the ship). As you leave the main atrium/elevator area and head into the Schooner Bar, you first pass through a dimmer, carpeted passageway that has a number of nautical themed displays that harkens back to the days of tall ships and pirates on the way into the main bar area.

The sign that tells you your headed the right way!

IMG_1495.jpg

Some of the sailor's knots displays along the wall

untitled-1215-3.jpg

untitled-1214-3.jpg

untitled-1213-3.jpg

Our only defense against the Orca Pirates of the Inside Passage!

untitled-1212-3.jpg

Finally, a view back along the corridor towards the main atrium.

untitled-1211-3.jpg

I'm not really sure what they put in the air, but on the way into every Schooner Bar, there is a rich, old wood smell in the air the makes me feel like what I imagine it would have been like to be on the freshly built Mayflower. I've never heard anyone else comment on it but Bev & I, but I like the smell whatever is...

L.J.