2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

Day 3 - off to explore Kachemak Bay from Sea Otter level!

This morning we were headed off to explore Kachemak Bay by sea kayak. The day before, our host Kathy told us that there was a moose cow with twins living in the neighborhood two streets down, and that we should keep in out for them. Well, Bev didn't need to hear any more! Our first trip to Alaska in 2009, the last major wildlife sighting we had was a moose with twins calves in Denali. Could lightening strike twice???

We hopped in the car and headed towards the Spit to grab breakfast and meet our water taxi, driving out through the area Kathy had mentioned. AS we turned the corner onto the street in question...

Moose 'n' babies, Part Deux!

2012Alaska-7362.jpg

2012Alaska-7448.jpg

2012Alaska-7454.jpg

2012Alaska-7457.jpg

After about 10 minutes of front viewing, the family headed slowly into the deeper woods, but not before being treated to the babies feeding. The photos don't due justice as to how aggressive they were. Mom was very patient until she signaled she was done with a couple of kicks to break free from the hungry kids.

2012Alaska-7487.jpg

2012Alaska-7494.jpg

Our day was off to a fantastic start, and we hadn't gone a 1/4 mile yet!

L.J.

We left the moose behind and headed to the Spit. As you pass through Homer proper, past Beluga Lake, and then the turn to the airport, you roll right and downhill and onto the Homer Spit:

2012Alaska-7515.jpg

We located Ashore Water Taxi & checked in 30 minutes early as we had been directed. We were told we had 30 minutes or so before departure, which left plenty of time to get breakfast as well as lunch. I'm not always on time - or early - so it was nice to have time! Having tried the Boardwalk Bakery yesterday, we wanted to check out the Spit Sisters Bakery today. Fortunately, the waiting area for the water taxi departure was RIGHT outside Spit Sisters!

untitled-0221.jpg

untitled-0220.jpg

untitled-0219.jpg

Their breakfast sandwiches were a little less conventional than the Boardwalk Bakery, so Bev went back to BB for breakfast sandwiches, and I waited for our box lunches from Spit Sisters. Lunch was being provided today, but it was going to be beach soup with salmon - Bev isn't a big fan of salmon and I don't eat fish. I can say that the cup of coffee I had there was the best of the trip, and their cookies were amazing!

Here's look at the Homer Small Boat harbor from the seats in front of Spit Sisters:

untitled-0224.jpg

While waiting to head to the water taxi, we met the other three folks going with us on our excursion - Linda, Linda and Charlie, all from Connecticut. I'm originally from Massachusetts, so it was neat spending some time with some other New Englanders - and Red Sox fans!!! The other cool thing was all three of our new friends were serious photographers - two Nikons and another Canon. For those unfamiliar Canon and Nikon are the Coke & Pepsi of the camera world.

8am sharp - we boarded the Water Taxi and headed across Kachemak Bay to Little Tutka Bay for our kayaking adventure with A Seaside Adventure. For those of you who haven't seen a real live landing craft (ala D-Day in WWII), a water taxi in Alaska gives you a chance to experience one first hand!

2012Alaska-7564.jpg

L.J.

Arriving at A Seaside Adventure, we were met by the owner Rick, and Jodi, a teacher from Oregon who was volunteering with Rick for two weeks. Rick's wife, Dorle, boarded the water taxi as we headed ashore. She was making her once a week trip to Homer, and would be returning the next day. Rick had lived at this remote location for over 40 years. While the soil was only three feet deep before hitting glacial bedrock, which didn't allow for regular toilets & septic systems, they did have electricity from Homer side of the bay thanks to a grant project that brought electricity across the bay to the many remote outposts on the east side of Kachemak Bay. Despite the remote location, Rick's house was beautiful, with all the modern conveniences - save for that indoor plumbing.

Rick's home

2012Alaska-7557.jpg

Rick & Jodi

2012Alaska-7559.jpg

Rick & Dorle's view of the world...

2012Alaska-7567.jpg

Not a bad place to wake up to everyday...

L.J.

We put on rubber boots to head up to the house, where we put the gear we were taking into dry bags, donned our life vests, secured the stuff we weren't taking and had our initial safety briefing. We saw 5 different bald eagles flying through the end of the bay before we even made it down to the shoreline. Then we headed down to the beach and the kayaks for some practical instruction before heading out. While we had all kayaked a bit before, going over the basics was still a good refresher. Rick was a great instructor, and we quickly had learned he was a bit of a character - in the best possible way. We was extremely knowledgeable not just about kayaking but the whole area, and very humorous to boot. It made for a thoroughly enjoyable day on the water.

Rick showing the proper stoke

P7090024.jpg

The group looks on intently...

P7090026.jpg

After carrying the kayaks down to the launch spot, Bev and I headed out first, as Charlie, Linda and Linda took their turns getting in the kayaks. One of the Linda's went with Rick in his boat, and he nicknamed her "PP" for paddling partner. Like little kids, we all had a lot of fun calling her PP all day! Rick, also an avid photographer who has hosted National Geographic photographer here, was also a Canon shooter, so we Canon shooters had good fun teasing the Nikon folks once we knew that we had the numbers advantage.

2012Alaska-7577.jpg

As we waited for the rest of the group, Bev & I practiced maneuvering, getting use to the kayak as this was only our fourth time paddling tandem, so it always takes us a little while to get our rhythm.

Here's a shot of my pilot - let the adventure begin!

2012Alaska-0019.jpg

L.J.

I am so enjoying your review and the pictures are amazing. Do you have a point and shoot camera too - or just the big Canon? My mom has a bigger DLSR so I just want to get a smaller one that I can throw in pocket and not lug around too large cameras - any ideas of something that would be good for that - or what I should look for?

Cant wait for the next post.

I also carry 3 camera 2 canon rebels, my lens are canon 10-22, Canon 70-300 stabilizer. the canon 18-55 kit, canon 50mm.

I also bring my brother's small one for photo's of me at places.

A canon Power Shot sx200is.

I am still working on my photo's

These are heavy camera's and lens I love to have a longer lens but those are so heavy. My back would be broke. I am sure you do not show your doctor how many cameras and stuff that go with it. Plus I am trying to cut down my carry on bag I am aways afraid they will weigh it and there is nothing but camera stuff. I have to lug all of it

Mary

I am so enjoying your review and the pictures are amazing. Do you have a point and shoot camera too - or just the big Canon? My mom has a bigger DLSR so I just want to get a smaller one that I can throw in pocket and not lug around too large cameras - any ideas of something that would be good for that - or what I should look for?

Cant wait for the next post.

am-mc,

I appreciate the kind words. We do have two non-DSLRs - a waterproof Olympus Stylus Tough 6020, and a Canon SX 40 HS. Bev used the SX 40 primarily for HD video - 1080p - but in decent to good light it worked really well. You'll see a lot of ship shots from that particular camera when I get to the cruise half of the review. The Canon is a little more bulky than the Olympus, but it takes much better photos - better sharpness, contrast and clarity, and less noise. There are plenty of great cameras at all different levels, but these are the ones we have. Hope that helps!

L.J.

thank you so much for posting these wonderfful photo's. I can't believe you had suuch beautiful weather. I went June 39-July13 Weather was crummy. I hope you post some more.

Mary

Mary,

Stay tuned - the weather doesn't stay QUITE this good, at least for our time in Seward. I will admit that we didn't have a drop of rain on the crusie portion until the morning we got off the ship in Vancouver.

L.J.

I also carry 3 camera 2 canon rebels' date=' my lens are canon 10-22, Canon 70-300 stabilizer. the canon 18-55 kit, canon 50mm.

I also bring my brother's small one for photo's of me at places.

A canon Power Shot sx200is.

I am still working on my photo's

These are heavy camera's and lens I love to have a longer lens but those are so heavy. My back would be broke. I am sure you do not show your doctor how many cameras and stuff that go with it. Plus I am trying to cut down my carry on bag I am aways afraid they will weigh it and there is nothing but camera stuff. I have to lug all of it

Mary[/quote']

LOL - I'm with you! I have a 7D, 50D, the two smaller cameras, a brought a Go Pro system as well, along with my 11-16mm f/2.8, 17-40mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and my Sigma 150-500mm. Plus all the chargers, memry cards, monopod, tripod, etc. My carry on and my personal item are all camera gear when I fly:).

L.J.

We saw a sea otter right in the bay as we were waiting to head out, but I was in the wrong position to get any good photos. On our way out of the bay and towards one of the islands out into my open water we also saw a harbor seal checking us out from a distance. Timing is sometimes a matter of luck, and today fortune smiled upon us. Kachemak Bay, like much of coastal Alaska and the Cook Inlet area in particular, have major tidal fluctuations - some of the largest in the world. Fortunately, low tide hit just before lunchtime, so we were able to see a lot of tidal zone sea life that has adapted to be able to cling to life above water for a few precious hours between high tides.

2012Alaska-0029.jpg

About 30 minutes into the paddle, my legs had gone almost completely numb, while having a good bit of discomfort in my hips and lower back. Initially I couldn't find anything I could do to alleviate the issue, which was rapidly making the experience miserable. Photography has a great way of taking my mind off things, like on the bear viewing flight the day before. In this case, as we approached another island, we spotted an eagle high in a tree on the edge of the island. Initially I wasn't happy how these photos turned out, but then I realized I WAS shooting this bird 100+ feet above me in the tree, while in a kayak floating in the ocean.

2012Alaska-7615.jpg

2012Alaska-7590.jpg

A short while later, Rick had us all gather around as he began harvesting items for our shore lunch. He explained that kelp was a highly nutritious plant that would become a part of the beach stew soup that was the centerpiece for lunch. He grabbed the kelp bulb in the midst of a small kelp bed floating on the surface, picked it up, and cut some leaves off of it, gently placing it back in the water afterwards.

2012Alaska-0031.jpg

2012Alaska-0036-2.jpg

L.J.

I made an adjustment against kayaking convention - to keep your back against the seat - and by doing so apparently restored blood flow to my legs! Within a few seconds I felt much more comfortable in the kayak, although I'm not sure it would be good for my back if I kayaked more often. All I know is it made it MUCH easier to enjoy the rest of the day! Next up - a close up view of some of those intertidal creatures. Before that though -more sea otters and eagles!

2012Alaska-7644.jpg

2012Alaska-7666.jpg

2012Alaska-7691.jpg

2012Alaska-7705.jpg

2012Alaska-7661.jpg

2012Alaska-7707.jpg

L.J.

What camera were you using while kayaking?

I'm thinking about kayaking (I've never been), but I'm unsure if it would be safe to bring my 5D3. I shoot weddings, so I'm a little worried about losing it. (I will be bringing it with me on all land excursions.) Otherwise, I have a Panasonic LX5 that I'm not as conserned about bringing.

I just don't want to miss any amazing shots with my LX5 since it only has 4X zoom.

wow what an amazing trip you and your wife have in alaska, and those pictures are awesome crisp its like seeing in person,i to have a 7D as a birthday gift took it in las vegas and wasnt happy of the outcome of the pics i was about to exchange for something else.but after seeing this maybe not.just need to learn to use it i guess

marion

Rick picked up a few more lunch items (sea lettuce and some other kelpy weedy things) at nature's largest and wettest grocery store as we made our way around the end another island. At the start of the island, Rick pointed out a beautiful sunflower starfish that was just below the waterline. He explained that the sunflower starfish had between 18-24 legs, and that part of its evolutionary survival mechanisms was the ability to shed a leg - some or all of them) if it needed to. After a few underwater photos, he picked up the starfish so we could all take a closer look and snap a few photos.

2012Alaska-0064.jpg

2012Alaska-0069.jpg

As we made our way along the rocky shoreline, we were able to get a close to other critters like these sea stars, muscles and other tide tolerant creatures:

2012Alaska-7724.jpg

2012Alaska-7734.jpg

2012Alaska-7751.jpg

2012Alaska-7756.jpg

Next up - lunch on the beach!

L.J.

What camera were you using while kayaking?

I'm thinking about kayaking (I've never been), but I'm unsure if it would be safe to bring my 5D3. I shoot weddings, so I'm a little worried about losing it. (I will be bringing it with me on all land excursions.) Otherwise, I have a Panasonic LX5 that I'm not as conserned about bringing.

I just don't want to miss any amazing shots with my LX5 since it only has 4X zoom.

I was nervous about shooting with the 7D (since it's my best body - plus I had my back up with me too!), but Rick said that the waters they paddled on were generally very calm, and that he's never had one person tip over, due to water conditions and not putting people in bad positions. He supplied dry bags for both bodies, which were both clipped to and held under the bungy cords on the kayak deck. I held on with BOTH hands everytime I took one out to shoot. The more I did it, the easier it got, but it was still a bit stressful. If I only had one body, I don't know if I'd do it - especially with a 5DIII:D. It might be better to buy a nice p&S or digicam with a minimum 12-15x zoom. That way it it goes south, you'll only lose $200-$300!

L.J.

wow what an amazing trip you and your wife have in alaska, and those pictures are awesome crisp its like seeing in person,i to have a 7D as a birthday gift took it in las vegas and wasnt happy of the outcome of the pics i was about to exchange for something else.but after seeing this maybe not.just need to learn to use it i guess

marion

Marion,

I don't know what to tell you. I had a lot of concerns about my 7D too before the trip. Before I left I had mostly shot high ISO events indoors with the Canon 18-200mm IS with it. This trip I tried to keep everything on the 7D down at 200-400 ISO, and shot many of the photos on this trip with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L, so I'm sure that made a difference. I'm still not sure that my 50D isn't taking better photos...

L.J.

Thanks for the info on cameras. We are going in July 2013 so I have plenty of time to do my research. I just need to find something I am comfortable using and that has image stabilization as I get a bit shaky with some of the meds I take.

I am so jealous of your trip - we are taking the cruisetour through Denali and then the Radiance southbound. I am so excited!!! My parents and my boyfriends mom will be so excited too when we finally tell them they are going with us.

Keep the pictures coming - they are inspiring me so much.

I was nervous about shooting with the 7D (since it's my best body - plus I had my back up with me too!), but Rick said that the waters they paddled on were generally very calm, and that he's never had one person tip over, due to water conditions and not putting people in bad positions. He supplied dry bags for both bodies, which were both clipped to and held under the bungy cords on the kayak deck. I held on with BOTH hands everytime I took one out to shoot. The more I did it, the easier it got, but it was still a bit stressful. If I only had one body, I don't know if I'd do it - especially with a 5DIII:D. It might be better to buy a nice p&S or digicam with a minimum 12-15x zoom. That way it it goes south, you'll only lose $200-$300!

L.J.

Thanks! I have business insurance on all of my gear, so if something were to happen, it is not the end of the world... It would just be a bad day for me! Hahaha.

If I do go, I'll probably just bring my back-up body and my LX5. My back-up is quite ancient, so losing it definitely won't be a big deal. I'll also make sure the waters aren't too crazy!

Edited by kl1247

One of the nice things about the far side of Kachemak Bay is that unlike the Homer side, which is relatively smooth, open shoreline, the Kenai Mountain side is full of spits, spurs, and islands, making not only for lots of nooks and crannies to explore, but it makes for nice, mostly calm water. We had interesting weather all day - sometimes sunny, sometimes it would cloud up and shower for a 10 or 15 minutes, then get sunny again. Through it all we had nice water to paddle in. Touring done for the moment, Rick led us to another little island and into a placid little lagoon with a pretty crescent rocky beach where we pulled up for lunch.

2012Alaska-0093.jpg

As soon as we all made it ashore, it began spitting again. Rick quickly pointed out an eagle that was 100 yards down the beach or so high up in a tree. Dutifully, all the photographers headed down for shots before the eagle took off, or more importantly, the drizzle turned into something more. He or she waited for all of about 10 seconds after we all started firing away before heading off to a quieter neighborhood...

2012Alaska-7770.jpg

2012Alaska-7773.jpg

The object of our affection having taken flight, we turned out attention to Rick. He had told us that 4 of the key ingredients were from the ocean, but that he had four more to collect from the forested area on the little island. As he walked and explained the positive properties of some plants, and the dangerous side of some other, he also explained some of the history of the little island and the native people that had lived there for thousands of years once the glaciers had receded.

P7090047.jpg

He explained how they built their homes to be nearly invisible in the forest from the water, using furs, hides and plant and tree material to create nearly undetectable settlements. He also explained how they would throw out the shells and bones into piles behind the homes, and how over time the forest had reclaimed the area, covering up the evidence. He showed us a tree that had blown over, where amidst the tangled root ball, there were sea shells imbedded everywhere within! It was really cool to have a glimpse into our own little anthropological/archeological site! I videoed this whole portion with our little waterproof camera, so I didn't get many photos, but it was really cool! Our gathering and history lesson completed, we headed back to the beach and the makeshift kitchen. I think this would be a GREAT place for a Quickfire Challenge if they ever film Top Chef: Alaska!

2012Alaska-0096.jpg

2012Alaska-0099.jpg

L.J.

Thank you very much for posting your gorgeous pictures!! I'm really enjoying them and hopefully I will be able to experience all of this in person one day - it's on the bucket list.

Put it at the top - don't wait!!!:D

L.J.

THAT'LL be a big moment - very cool!!!

L.J.

We are surpirsing my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary and my BF's mom just because she is a great mom.

We are going on the Radiance of the Sea so I am really excited to see the info about the ship and see if you might have any cool pictures of the ship/rooms/other areas on board. My surprise idea right now is a photo collage with pictures from the areas we are going to on the cruise and cruisetour, wildlife we might see and the ship - to make a puzzle that should help them know that we are going on an alaskan cruise. So any info you can share about the ship would be great. :D

Watching Rick assemble and prep the ingredients and make the soup in the small pot on the beach was neat. Here's a few shots of our gathered ingredients going in the pot.

2012Alaska-0110.jpg

2012Alaska-0114-2.jpg

2012Alaska-0121.jpg

2012Alaska-0125-2.jpg

Knowing that time was getting short, Bev and I broke convention and tried the beach stew. Yes, the man who fishes but doesn't not eat fish tried salmon for the first time. I confirmed that I still don't like fish, but I have to admit that if it was chicken instead of salmon, I would have really enjoyed it a lot! The sea vegetables were really good! Along with the sea stew, we also had trail mix with M&Ms, sliced apples, and homemade German bread that Dorle had made for us before she left, along with an interesting combination of butter mixed with olive oil. Sadly, we never made it to our Spit Sisters sandwiches, so I can't report on them!

L.J.