Latin Gems - flight upgrade

I know its a while away but we have booked our first carribean cruise on the Dream in Jan. Has anybody taken the flight upgrade to premier and if so is it worth it?

Has anyone tried to get an upgrade at the airport ?

I paid £195 for the upgrade on a Orlando flight. I thought it was worth it. All the little extras add up, better meal the economy, better legroom, more entertainment and proper over the head headsets rather than them in ear ones. Don't think I would pay for than £290 for it, you can only drink soo much!

As for upgrades at the airport, they sell them at Buy one get one free with whatever is left. My friends who works for them says they now operate a loyal customer scheme where each passenger gets 'points' depending on how many times they travel and how much there holidays cost and these people with the most points get the free upgrades if any need to be made.

As for waiting...it's that old game again! We travel to Florida with Thomson in September and wanted premium but was waiting to see if the price went down. Now there are no premium seats left! Economy it is then!

We paid £60 each at Newcastle airport to go to Mexico last summer for premium seats on Thomson flight. Leg room was better than economy but leg room on Thomson long haul is very good anyhow. The seats were different but they were 2:3:2 the same as economy so must have been the same width. You do get more choice of films etc but you can pay £5 in economy to upgrade the film package to (I think) the same as premium.

The food was slightly better and drinks were free but they stopped serving alcohol 3 hours before we got there saying they had none left!! It was possibly due to the fact that some people had had too much and were getting noisy so everyone suffered.

Several of the economy toilets were 'blocked' so people came to use the premium one leading to several people standing around the rear seats of premium to wait for their turn.

So premium should have been a quieter, more restful journey but it wasn't.

Premium did get off the plane first so were at the front of immigration queues which was a bonus but still had to wait the same for cases to come.

On the return premium boarded first, but the plane loaded from the front so if you had an aisle seat you were constantly knocked by people's hand luggage as they went past. :(

We did not take up the offer on the way back (which was advertised on the check in desk), reason being that it was a night flight so did not intend to watch films, etc or drink much alcohol as DH was driving home from airport.

In my opinion if you can get the same offer (£60 each one way) it is worth it just to try it.

Archived