2 questions re; St John & internet cafes

like2cruise

We are sailing a back2back in June and so we are fortunate to come to St Thomas twice. One trip we will go to St John. I love the sun, it does not love me...is their shade or umbrella's available on Cruz Bay or Cinnamon Beach? Is their a rental fee for use of chairs?

My other question is that I am wondering where the closest internet cafe is? Better yet is there a calling center at the pier that would be cheaper to use then a calling card from a pay phone? We are leaving our 19 year old daughter behind :eek:

Wow that is more 2 questions :D Thanks!!

For calling your daughter, why don't you get one of those "Calling cards" where you purchase a certain number of minutes ahead of time and then use that card to call your daughter from the Virgin Islands? You should be able to find them in drug stores or convenience stores right here in the U.S. We never found them to be all that expensive and you can use them from any land line. We used one of them when we visited St. Thomas in '03, paid $20 for it, and still had minutes left over when we returned home.

If you have a cell phone and use Verizon, you will be on the Extended Network when you're on the Virgin Islands. That can add up, so you'd want to keep your conversations short. An alternative would be text messaging. We found that to be very economical in comparison to making a phone call on that Extended Network.

There was no real beach that I could see right at Cruz Bay but there were plenty of shaded walking areas. There were shaded areas at Cinnamon where you could relax. There is a campground on the premesis and it is a National Park, so I would imagine they would have to have chair and umbrella rentals.

Hello,

Cruz Bay - if you are refering to downtown Cruz Bay - you might wear a hat, sunblock... while shopping, pick a shaded restaurant for lunch. If you mean hanging out on little Cruz Bay beach, which is to the right and left of the ferry dock then - no umbrellas there but there is a bar just by the beach where you could hang out in the shade. And then if you meant Great Cruz Bay beach (also called Westin Beach Resort) then I haven't seen umbrellas there and there isn't much shade but you could hang out at the pool side bar for shade.

Cinnamon Bay - you can rent chairs and sit under the trees for some shade.

There is an internet cafe in Cruz Bay and I believe Connections (a phone, internet, fax, photocopy, mail center) has internet as well. There are a couple calling centers in Havensight on St. Thomas - they are often filled with crew members.

If you have a Sprint or Cingular Cell phone you could bring them... they work in the VI and if you have a nationwide plan there won't/shouldn't be any long distance or roaming fees.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Thanks for the information...what about Trunk Bay is their a better chance of getting shade and an umbrella with a chair there? I love the sun, but I truly can not sit in it or I get hives. I know, no fun. But as long as I have some shade to help minimize my exposure...I always have a great time. :D

I dont think you would have a problem at Cinnamon Bay. We were just there 2 weeks ago and found a place under some trees to rest (and they were on the beach) and there are trees away from the beach as well. Lots of shade in the area and chair rentals too. When you walk down the main entrance and get to the beach, turn right. There were quite a few trees overhanging the beach area. It was also much less crowded than Trunk Bay. The taxi we were on from Cruz Bay had 10 people on it and 7 got off at Trunk Bay with a line to pay to get in. The 3 of us went on to Cinnamon Bay and didnt have much company until later in the morning. Some people who sat next to us said they stopped at Trunk Bay, but it got so crowded they came on down to Cinnamon Bay. It was a fantastic beach as well!!!

Archived