Comparing Istanbul and Rome

We are considering two Mediterranean itineraries... Athens to Istanbul and Rome to Athens. Questions we are entertaining:

1. Which city, Athens or Rome, is more interesting and easier to navigate as Americans for a pre-cruise stay?

2. Which airport is more comfortable... Istanbul or Rome?

3. Is Istanbul "western culture friendly"?

4. Which itinerary has the more interesting ports?

5. Are there any differences between the Regatta and the Insignia?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ahnalira

They are all fascinating. If I had to choose among Istanbul, Rome and Athens, I would probably choose Rome to see first....so much to see and do. I also love Istanbul...so exotic! Athens is also very interesting. Bottom line is you can't make a bad choice.

We are considering two Mediterranean itineraries... Athens to Istanbul and Rome to Athens. Questions we are entertaining:

1. Which city, Athens or Rome, is more interesting and easier to navigate as Americans for a pre-cruise stay?

Ahnalira

1. Athens or Rome? My vote would be for Rome. A lot of beautiful art to see, architecture, the piazzas, the fountains and the gelato!

2. Airport - Istanbul seemed a little easier to navigate.

3. Istanbul was very "western" friendly. The people are especially gracious to visitors. Although the salespeople in the Grand Bazaar can get quite annoying. We very looking for shop, stopped a stranger to ask directions. He changed directions and guided us to the spot. Another evening we were trying to hail a cab. No luck, but a tour guide in a mini-van happened to pass us, we asked where there might be a better spot to get a taxi, he insisted on taking us to the Galata Tower. He refused any payment or even a tip.

4. don't know the itineraries

5. Have only sailed on the Insignia (Istanbul to Athens), it was a great ship. Very "user friendly", staff could not have been more accomodating or gracious. The food was outstanding. The cabin (A1) were comfortable.

Guest Jancruz

I agree with the above...no matter where you go you cant go wrong..all fabulous places have been ther several times each...

Nautica and Regatta are identical..thats one of the great things about Oceania..that and the fabulous staff on both ships!!! (and the great food etc.)

Jan:)

Our first cruise with Renaissance in 2001 was from Istanbul to Athens. It was a wonderful trip, with great ports. Istanbul was fabulous--we'll go back one day. (I preferred Istanbul to Athens. In 2004, we sailed with Oceania from Rome to Barcelona, and loved that as well.

I'd vote for Rome over Athens-very easy to get around, lots to see, friendly and it felt very safe. We spent 4 days there, pre cruise.

We took the train from Rome to Civitavecchia. We don't travel with a lot of luggage, so it was easy and quite inexpensive.

Renaissance morphed into Oceania, so we don't have any other ships as a basis for comparison, but we have loved it so much, we're taking our fourth cruise with them this December. This time we'll be trying South America.

IN PART:

Renaissance morphed into Oceania, .

Morphed? I really think not..as much as we loved Renaissance -cruised on them 13 lucky times..these are two VERY different lines. Oceania a far better product ! Only thing they may have had in common is ships ;-)

Ahnalira

1. Both are great cities to visit (Rome has a great tourist bus), but both have their pluses and minuses with regard to getting to and from the airport and the ship. Both can be reached via nonstop flights from the US - you can take a convenient express train from FCO into downtown Rome, while you must take a bus from ATH into Athens (a light rail line is planned, however). Or you can always hire a cab. Getting from city to port is another matter. You can take the Green Line subway from downtown Athens for a 20 minute ride to the port of Piraeus, and then navigate the streets between the subway station and the pier. You can also take the train from Rome to Civitavecchia, but it's about twice as long and may require a change of trains.

2. Don't worry about comfort - airports are notoriously uncomfortable, and they rarely have enough seats at the gate to accommodate a full complement of passengers. I wouldn't worry about any of the airports - they all have signs in English and you should be able to find staff conversant in English at any of them.

3. Istanbul makes an effort to be Western-friendly, with the PKK and Dev Sol largely dormant for the past decade, although the two bombings in November 2003 were blamed on fanatical Muslim groups with suspected ties to al Qaeda (targetting synagogues and British interests, incidentally). Ironically, Athens has been far more fatal to Americans than Istanbul ever was, but the government seems to have successfully disrupted the November 17 terrorist organization.

4. Every Oceania itinerary has interesting ports - simply pick the ones that interest you (check out the possible shore excursions on Oceania's website) and take it from there!

5. We've sailed on both, and quite frankly, it was nearly impossible to tell the difference! They're identical as sister ships and exceptionally well-maintained. (I did notice a slight difference in the thermostat control knobs in the staterooms, however, neither of them had numbers, so we had to use a pencil to mark the temperature setting at which we felt most comfortable). I guess that means we'll have to book a cruise on the Nautica next year just to see how she compares to her sisters.

Richard & Judy

Thanks, everyone!:D Y'all are a very informed group... I have another question for you: I've been researching airfares and I am struck by the prices. They are double what it costs to fly from Florida to Hawai'i. Does anyone have any insight into why the fares are as high as they are?

I know I could take advantage of the 'free' air Oceania offers, but I fractured two vertebrae in my spine last year (That's another cruise story:p ), and I hesitate to let Oceania plan the flight for me due to how long wait times and layovers effect pain levels.

Thanks,

Ahnalira

Thanks, everyone!:D Y'all are a very informed group... I have another question for you: I've been researching airfares and I am struck by the prices. They are double what it costs to fly from Florida to Hawai'i. Does anyone have any insight into why the fares are as high as they are?

I know I could take advantage of the 'free' air Oceania offers, but I fractured two vertebrae in my spine last year (That's another cruise story:p ), and I hesitate to let Oceania plan the flight for me due to how long wait times and layovers effect pain levels.

Thanks,

Ahnalira

It's as simple as economics. Unlike domestic aviation, where there are relatively few entry barriers for new airlines or air routes, international routes are highly regulated and highly prized. Given that the supply is thus somewhat fixed and demand for travel to Europe is up anywhere from 20-40% from last year, depending on the destination, high fares are to be expected. Just compare the rising prices for Oceania's cruises in just the three years they've been in existence - things have changes a lot since the post 9/11 travel slump!

Oceania does allow you to request an air deviation for $50 per person, plus the difference between the "free" airline ticket and your requested one. Ask your travel agent to look into this option for you.

Richard

We have spent time in all three cities however our personal order of preference would be Rome, Istanbul (close second) and then Athens. We usually on spend a day or so in Athens on our way to the Islands. Rome is wonderful-very easy to get around and you can take some wonderful day trips-train to Florence or driving in Tuscany. Istanbul was fascinating and we have found the people to be extremely friendly. Not sure when you are planning to go-our favorite times are spring and fall. If you can plan it, I would strongly avoid the summer months. Very hot and crowded. There are lots of visitors in Rome in late Sept/early Oct (we like it then) but the weather is more temperate. You are essentially in the city when you dock in Istanbul. The ports closest to Rome and Athens are a good drive away. We found the airport in Istanbul to be excellent. Rome OK, Athens so so. As tourists, you will have no trouble in any of these cities. We make a point always to stay in small local style hotels and we NEVER eat or drink in those tourist establishments that are on the main drags. In Rome, you can easily get suckered for a $10. coke if you are not careful. If you take local transport we found Istanbul the easiest to get around it. We found that Istanbul and Athens seemed to have a lot more air pollution. Great day trips from Istanbul as well. If you go to Istanbul, watch out for the taxi drivers. Sometimes they 'forget' to turn on the meter and will try to charge you a very high flat rate. Make sure the meter gets flipped on before the wheels move. All in all, you cannot go wrong.

Archived