Passport Question

daijayx2

Hello.

I have cruised a total of 4 times now and I have always used a birth certificate. I am now about to apply for a passport and I was wondering if the passport card is necessary and what purpose does it serve? Is it worth paying the extra fee for this? Thank you in advance.

Passport card is meant for people that live just across the borders of Canada or Mexico and need to do daily crossings for work, shopping or whatever using a car or a boat.

It can also be used for a close loop cruise (for example, leaving and arriving in Miami),

BUT and that's the big BUT,

If something were to go wrong and you need to fly home from any island, the passport card is useless.

You do need the passport book to fly home.

So, unless you live very closely to Canada or Mexico and cross the borders in your car or boat on regular basis, you don't need it. It's your decision, but I'm guessing you don't need to spend the extra money. The ONLY reason would be to use it for ID purposes, but your DL will do the same deal.

Passport card is meant for people that live just across the borders of Canada or Mexico and need to do daily crossings for work, shopping or whatever using a car or a boat.

It can also be used for a close loop cruise (for example, leaving and arriving in Miami),

BUT and that's the big BUT,

If something were to go wrong and you need to fly home from any island, the passport card is useless.

You do need the passport book to fly home.

Thank you very much for the quick response. Very useful info.

We even have passport books for our kids. On one cruise a few yrs ago a family on the ship was in a car accident in a port, missed the ship and had to fly home. A passport card would not have really helped them. The passport book makes life easier if you ever have a major problem in port on a cruise. Also take your passport with you when you are in foreign countries. These folks needed them and if they'd been in their cabin safe on the ship it wouldn't have helped them much.

If you're getting a passport book, the passport card is not necessary but I find it a useful wallet sized general purpose ID and backup travel ID. I take both when cruising.

Getting the card in addition to the book costs $30 extra, $15 for kids, which works out to just $3/yr over the life of the card.

I prefer the passport card to a DL for privacy reasons since it doesn't have my address. I'd rather not give the TSA baggage screener or bar bouncer any more info than they need.

Also, the passport card is one of the few pieces of photo ID available to a minor.

If you're getting a passport book, the passport card is not necessary but I find it a useful wallet sized general purpose ID and backup travel ID. I take both when cruising.

Getting the card in addition to the book costs $30 extra, $15 for kids, which works out to just $3/yr over the life of the card.

I prefer the passport card to a DL for privacy reasons since it doesn't have my address. I'd rather not give the TSA baggage screener or bar bouncer any more info than they need.

Also, the passport card is one of the few pieces of photo ID available to a minor.

Good info! I am going to get the card along with the book. Thank you all for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived