Dolphin Excursions

We're doing the Western Route on Mariner of the Seas in Sept. I'm thinking I may go out on a limb and try and do a dolphin excursion. Which port would be the best to try this at? Or should I just wait until I'm on another land vacation?

I LOVE dolphins, but have never been up close with them. Will I completely freak out? Also my daughter is 7, I don't know that she would get in with them, but is there a way for her to watch or have some involvement?

We just did the same cruise on the Mariner, and had a great time! We did the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel, and in retrospect, I kind of wished we had done that at Discovery Cove in Orlando. It was not bad, but I felt it could have been better. But, I think that your child is too young for that anyway. They do have a program called Dolphin Encounter which a younger child can do, and I'm sure she will enjoy that. We met some people with younger kids who enjoyed that a lot. You can check into the various programs at cozumelinsider.com. Also, check on the Cozumel ports of call board for more information.

We were on the Mariner in March, and did the Dolphin Encounter (Royal Swim) in Cozumel. It was excellent. We booked directly with them on line. RCI offers excursions to Dolphin Encounter, but they do not offer the Royal Swim experience that we did, and the RCI tours cost a lot more than they do if you book directly with Dolphin Encounter.

First of all, I have to admit that like you, I was a little hesitant to do it, but my DD (age 10) wanted to go, and so I did as well. Once you get close to the dolphins, your hesitation goes away. The "Royal Swim" experience not only includes the standard kiss, petting, etc., you also get to actually "ride" holding on to the dorsal fins of two dolphins. Many also had the dolphins push them completely out of the water by their feet.

If your daughter isn't sure she wants to go, family members were allowed to come out onto the piers to watch you, but there were kids her age in the water with the dolphins.

Of course, their are pictures and videos of your experience to purchase afterward.

We enjoyed the experience as well as Chakanaab, the Park were Dolphin Encounter is located.

Archived