Destiny Muster Drill Question

Cricket2012

For those that were on Destiny recently, could I please get some detailed information about the muster drill? I am sailing in a couple of months, I have problems with stairs and walk with cane some of the time and have difficulty standing more than 15 minutes or so without being in pain. I spoke to Carnival's special needs staff and they could not give me information on how to handle this situation. They didn't know how muster drills were being handled, other than they were sure things were tighter, but that it varied ship to ship. They said I had to line up at the customer service desk when I first boarded (again lining up is a problem for me if there are long lines) and ask them how I could deal with it.

My questions were whether I would be able to use the elevator since I was not in a wheelchair (just the cane), did I need my booking marked to indicate I needed possible concessions like the elevator (like the airlines), and if I could wait on my muster drill floor well ahead of time. They said I might not know where the muster station would be because they will be making announcements at the time of the drill about which lounge each muster station would be required to go to (in other words, I wouldn't know ahead of time, therefore couldn't go early). I explained that if that occurred at the time the drill started, the elevators would be shut down and I would then be forced to use the stairs. In a real emergency, I would obviously use the stairs and probably sustain a strain injury but give the alternative, that is acceptable, but to do that in a drill and possibly spend the rest of my vacation in pain is less than desirable.

My questions to you are whether you saw how wheelchair and cane users were handled, whether you met in a lounge and could get seating, and whether you then had to go to the lifeboats which may have required you using the stairs to get there. Also, if you definitely knew where you were to go ahead of time (therefore could have been there early when the elevators were working and get seating) and whether you needed the life jackets from the room or not.

I appreciate any guidance you can give. I think these drills are 100% necessary and I want to comply completely but minimize any physical stress I might experience.

Although we don't require assistance, we go early and use the elevator. I think they restrict elevator use a few minutes before the drill begins. Every time we have gone, they always make an announcement for anyone needing assistance to contact one of the crew helping with the drill. The muster station is provided on the back of your cabin door and also on the life preservers in your cabin. Have a great cruise.

For those that were on Destiny recently, could I please get some detailed information about the muster drill? I am sailing in a couple of months, I have problems with stairs and walk with cane some of the time and have difficulty standing more than 15 minutes or so without being in pain. I spoke to Carnival's special needs staff and they could not give me information on how to handle this situation. They didn't know how muster drills were being handled, other than they were sure things were tighter, but that it varied ship to ship. They said I had to line up at the customer service desk when I first boarded (again lining up is a problem for me if there are long lines) and ask them how I could deal with it.

My questions were whether I would be able to use the elevator since I was not in a wheelchair (just the cane), did I need my booking marked to indicate I needed possible concessions like the elevator (like the airlines), and if I could wait on my muster drill floor well ahead of time. They said I might not know where the muster station would be because they will be making announcements at the time of the drill about which lounge each muster station would be required to go to (in other words, I wouldn't know ahead of time, therefore couldn't go early). I explained that if that occurred at the time the drill started, the elevators would be shut down and I would then be forced to use the stairs. In a real emergency, I would obviously use the stairs and probably sustain a strain injury but give the alternative, that is acceptable, but to do that in a drill and possibly spend the rest of my vacation in pain is less than desirable.

My questions to you are whether you saw how wheelchair and cane users were handled, whether you met in a lounge and could get seating, and whether you then had to go to the lifeboats which may have required you using the stairs to get there. Also, if you definitely knew where you were to go ahead of time (therefore could have been there early when the elevators were working and get seating) and whether you needed the life jackets from the room or not.

I appreciate any guidance you can give. I think these drills are 100% necessary and I want to comply completely but minimize any physical stress I might experience.

Don't worry. My husband used to use a cane and now uses a walker. He has always been allowed to use the elevators. On the ships that don't have a room aside for those with special needs, he has always been able to sit by the railing or just inside the doorway of the muster station.

Our last two cruises, those with special needs, (including claustophobia) were placed in a special room just inside. They allowed those people a few minuetes head start leaving before the end of the drill.

It is important to let your room steward know you would need special assistance in case of an emergency. They keep a list so they know who to attend.

Archived