2012 Christmas Markets - All Cruise Lines

AZPam

I'm in Switzerland today (nothing connected to my upcoming cruise) and it's so warm I had lunch outside with just a sweatshirt! Lovely to see the snow sprinkled crags of the Alps but to be utterly comfortable....

Carolyn

Frohe weihnachten! We don't leave until 12/3, so we really enjoy posts from those on their magical Christmas wonderland journeys.

I don't have chip or pin and have had no trouble in Germany and Switzerland (though plenty of problems on a recent cruise in Turkey and Israel).

Carolyn

Please help me out..... Has anyone who has done a Rhine cruise had trouble using their Credit cards that don't have chip and pin? My two cards donot have it, and several banks have said they Are not yet available In the US. I want to use credit cards for restaurants, hotels and large shops, using cash at the markets.

Thanks. Lynda

Grand Circle Harmony Dec. 2 from Basel to Amsterdam.

In Cologne, the markets are all very sweet (including the one right on the river) but what blew me away there was the shop at the chocolate museum. Amazing place for gifts, stocking stuffers, etc. Don't miss it (no cost to just go to the shop aside from what you buy :) )

Carolyn

We have done 2 Viking Christmas market cruises on the Danube, and in between the cruises we did the markets on our own for 2 years, once based in Nurenberg and once in Regensburg. You are in for an amazing treat.

The market in Nurenberg is huge and fantastic, make sure to visit the kids market (at night if possible) which is about 2 blocks away from the main market. The sauseges in Nurenberg are incredible and come 3 to a bun in the market. several stalls also sell "bags of beer", a 4 pack of local Christmas beer, a Christmas CD, along with a die cast metal truck from the brewery. makes for good stocking stuffers and the beer is also good.

Regensburg- The Thurn and Taxis castle and market at night is a must do. There is a small entry charge for this market but it is well worth it. There are warming fires, incredible food booths and local craftsmen working on their wares. The castle also has its own brewery/restaurant (it used to be the stables for the castle) that is only a couple of blocks from the castle.

This year we are on Viking on a Rhine cruise and I have no idea what to expect, other then more incredible markets. Any advice on must see markets or attractions would be greatly appreciated.

I know you will have a great time on the Danube.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a quick little review of our trip on the Viking Sun, departure Nov 25.

Weather was warm in Basel and sunny on Nov 24. It started to turn cooler on the 25th and increasingly got colder as we went along. RAIN was the order of most days. Umbrellas on every tour. Some days very cold, others just wet. We used our fold up umbrellas every day except Cologne. I believe the cruise following us had snow. Lucky them!

The ship was wonderful, the crew outstanding, especially Tom Ash the program director. The man is a comedian! Loved him! Everyone very helpful. Food plentiful. Tours good to excellent. Cabin very clean and large enough, loved our large opening windows, two chairs and table by the window to look out on the view, bed comfy.

The markets, well, what can I say, magical is the best word that comes to mind.

My personal favorites were in Basel and Cologne. (I wonder if the lack of rain had something to do with that opinion?)

Took 2 extra tours, the wine tour and the Colmar tour. Don't miss Colmar. The city is charming. Well worth the extra $.

I'll write a proper review when I have more time.

If you have questions, please ask.

I can highly recommend Viking River Cruises.

• 4 weeks later...

SFO-F/A ~ loved your brief review of your cruise! We're considering a Rhine River Christmas Market cruise this year - hard to believe it is really 2013 now!! Took our first Viking cruise last October and just loved it!!! Thought they were a great line to travel with and so looking at their Christmas Market cruises.

I posted these questions on another thread but mayber you could also answer them ~

*do you also have time to see others sites in the area?

*do the ships still have their regular excursions?

*how cold is it really? (I know this can vary from year to year but your experience)

*how did you find room to bring home gifts?? I can hardly manage it without packing sweaters, etc for cold weather!!!

A few extra questions if you don't mind ~

*did you book your air with Viking?

*do anything pre/post cruise? if so DYI or through Viking?

I'm just looking for ideas! We did a New Years Eve trip to London 2009/2010 but otherwise have never been in Europe in the winter so a little concerned about packing heavy clothes! A=ny thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks much!

Archived