Belize Zipline and Cave Tubing Question for Dawn Sailing

tlynch99

Our family is sailing on the Dawn in the Spring out of Tampa and my son and I are interested in one of the zipline/cave tubing excursions while in Belize. NCL appears to have two different excursions and I am interested to know if anyone has experience with either and maybe knows the difference? My son is 12, but is under 95 lbs, so it seems like he only qualifies for the "Crystal Cave Tubing & Zipline" tour, so we may not have a choice. The other is "Zipline Adventure & Cave Tubing" which has the 95lb lower limit.

Any comments or thoughts on either tour are appreciated. We will likely stick to NCL tours even with the higher prices for the piece of mind of getting back on the ship.

We did the cave tubing excursion from the Star last November. It was a blast! I don't recall there being a NCL tour that included a zipline adventure at that time, so I can't speak to that. I clearly remember there being folks of all ages, and the "guides" take precautions to make sure everything is done safely. It's absolutely beautiful, fun, and a "once-in-a-lifetime" type excursion. It was also a great chance to try some local food (included lunch). Just don't eat the salad or fruit (dubious wash water). Highly recommend that excursion!

A few years back (in Belize) we went through a private guy, Major Tom. He had great reviews, when we got there we ended up having his son Minor Tom as our guide. I think everyone goes to the same place for ziplining and cave tubing. The ziplining was really cool as it is through the jungle but after doing it once I don't see myself doing it again. While a great experience I don't see myself wanting to go over and over. The cave tubing was very cool, I brought 2 of my submersible flashlight's and some of the locals were really amped on them so I sold them one. The cave tubing has about 1/2 mile trek thru the jungle so wear some water shoes, flip flops, or sandals. I would do the cave tubing again. The guide really made it worthwhile, very knowledgable, fun, and comical. If chose to do it in Belize (recommended) you will not be disappointed.

The ziplining I saw in Roatan at the beach resort we Snuba'd at seemed a little lame to me. Just some platforms and you zipline from one tree to another. In Belize you were at least surrounded by jungle and at times ziplining over top of other trees.

We did cave tubing with a private company. They were awesome!!! They were at the port waiting for us when we arrived. Gave us a tour/history of town. The staff were very friendly and very aware and attentive to everyones needs and ship departure time. After cave tubing we had a choice to either stop for lunch or a local package store for some supplies (LOL). We opted for supplies and back to port for souvineer shopping. If you are interested, just search Belize cave tubing....they will come up.

Happy cruising.

Thanks to all for the great feedback. Will look into some of the private options as well to compare. Sounds like several good experiences doing that. Glad to see all the positive feedback and looking forward to giving it a try.

Check the ports of call for private companies. They were very easy to do in Belize and Roatan. I can't remember the names of the ones we did - but I will tell you that the zip we did in Roatan was far from lame. 13 zips and they were super high! We did Pirates of the Caribbean, but our friends did the one that ends on the beach at West End and they said theirs was amazing and they are veteran zip liners.

Lots of good choices to be found on the ports of call threads.

Check the ports of call for private companies. They were very easy to do in Belize and Roatan. I can't remember the names of the ones we did - but I will tell you that the zip we did in Roatan was far from lame. 13 zips and they were super high! We did Pirates of the Caribbean, but our friends did the one that ends on the beach at West End and they said theirs was amazing and they are veteran zip liners.

Lots of good choices to be found on the ports of call threads.[/

The one that ends on the beach was ar Gumbalimba park in Roatan I believe.

We have tubed twice. Both booked with NCL.

The first time was terrific. Black inner tubes and a meal in the jungle served by a local cook.

Second time, the tubes were the kind dragged behind boats for kids too lazy to learn to water-ski. They are horrible. Food was at a pavillion owned by NCL with a horrible buffet steam table and they had the gall to charge four bucks for a Belikin on tap. It was a disappointment end-to-end.

Hook up with a private excursion and go cave-tubing.

I met a few folks on our roll call page and we all booked through Jaguar Paw (I believe its called something else now). They picked us up at the pier, drove us to the zip line, spent time doing that, jumped back in the van went to the Jaguar Paw resort, grabbed our tubes, did a jungle trek, ate some termites (very minty tasting), had a wonderful tubing adventure, went back to the Jaguar Paw resort and they fed us lunch, jumped back in the van and went speed racer style back to the pier. The only down fall was getting on an early tender (and we all had priority tender tickets from folks we met that had a suite) and our cruise had a pretty bad virus breakout so the folks in Belize made sure the tender boats were clean and safe. We were like 1.5 hours late getting off the ship and they waited for us. We got back within an hour before the last tender left the pier! Our tour guide was fantastic with wonderful knowledge about Belize, the Mayans and other history. It was much cheaper than what NCL charged and you go to the exact same spot (we even saw our friends who booked through NCL at one point).

I met a few folks on our roll call page and we all booked through Jaguar Paw (I believe its called something else now). They picked us up at the pier, drove us to the zip line, spent time doing that, jumped back in the van went to the Jaguar Paw resort, grabbed our tubes, did a jungle trek, ate some termites (very minty tasting), had a wonderful tubing adventure, went back to the Jaguar Paw resort and they fed us lunch, jumped back in the van and went speed racer style back to the pier. The only down fall was getting on an early tender (and we all had priority tender tickets from folks we met that had a suite) and our cruise had a pretty bad virus breakout so the folks in Belize made sure the tender boats were clean and safe. We were like 1.5 hours late getting off the ship and they waited for us. We got back within an hour before the last tender left the pier! Our tour guide was fantastic with wonderful knowledge about Belize, the Mayans and other history. It was much cheaper than what NCL charged and you go to the exact same spot (we even saw our friends who booked through NCL at one point).

I am not positive but I think no matter who you book with, you all go to approximately the same location for cave tubing.

Thanks again for even more great info. Plenty of good feedback on private tours will definitely have me checking those options as well. We are not sailing until spring break 2013, so plenty of time to find something I think. Great to hear there are plenty of good options.

Archived