Wheelchair rental?

moopig

Going to be on Legend next month with my mom, who has serious mobility issues but refuses to use a wheelchair. I was wondering if anyone knows if Carnival rents wheel chairs and if we could take them off of the ship. I am afriad she is going to have a difficult time with all of the walking required while in port. I know she wants to shop in Belize and Cozumel for sure. Thanks for reading!

Going to be on Legend next month with my mom, who has serious mobility issues but refuses to use a wheelchair. I was wondering if anyone knows if Carnival rents wheel chairs and if we could take them off of the ship. I am afriad she is going to have a difficult time with all of the walking required while in port. I know she wants to shop in Belize and Cozumel for sure. Thanks for reading!

Another thing you might consider is buy a walker with the seat on it for your mother. This allows her to still walk and retain her dignity but rest as she needs to. They are relatively inexpensive ranging from $150 to $290 online from Wal-Mart depending on the size you need. Obviously, the higher priced ones are heavy duty for larger persons.

My husband can walk and stand but not for long distances. Using the walker allows him access to tenders where a wheelchair will not. It also comes in handy at home should we decide to go to the shopping malls, something whe had stopped doing together until we got the walker.

Becuse it is a mobility device, it is usually checked as baggage on a plane but not part of the baggage limitations. You would want to check with you airline to make certain.

I do know that Carnival will rent wheelchairs but this needs to be set up through the special needs department prior to the cruise. They only take a limited number and depending on the need, if you wait until you are on the ship to make your request, there may not be any available for rent.

We are on the Legend next month as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the response! She is determined to not even take her walker either but I thought the wheelchair might be a good back ip just in case.

You really should make sure you arrange this in advance. Lots of cruise lines won't rent wheelchairs anymore, allowing you to use theirs only in cases of emergency, and for getting on/off the ship. And sometimes you can rent the chair, but NOT use it in port. So call, and make sure you get something in writing before you get to the ship!

CCL doesn't rent wheelchairs, but they will assist you with embarkation and debarkation, but you should get that documented on your booking. If you want to rent a wheelchair for during the cruise, do a search for cruise wheelchair rental. There are companies that rent for cruises.

We took our 86 year old mother on a Princess cruise to Alaska in June, and rented a wheelchair through carevacations. It was about $100 for the week, including insurance. It was in our stateroom when we boarded, and we left it there when we disembarked. We could take it for our shore excursions. Just make sure the excursion you are going on can store a collapsible wheel chair. My mom uses a cane at home, but on the ship, the wheelchair was a lifesaver. It saved our vacation!

OP, also to add although Carnival does not rent wheelchairs they do have a few companies that don't necessary "work with" Carnival but have been popular with guests. Due to security not all companies can enter and deliver to the terminal. So make sure whichever company you choose that they have access to the terminal.

I'm sure you and your mom are going to have an awesome time!:)

I would strongly insist that you try to convince your mom to at least bring her walker. There are times that if the seas are rough, the ship does move around quite a bit with the waves and it can be difficult to walk in a straight line even for those of us who are able-bodied. When on the Legend last November/December, the ship encountered very high winds and at times passengers were holding onto the walls trying to get to their staterooms. I would hate to see your mom get inured falling, or you get injured trying to keep her upright.

CCL doesn't rent wheelchairs, but they will assist you with embarkation and debarkation, but you should get that documented on your booking. If you want to rent a wheelchair for during the cruise, do a search for cruise wheelchair rental. There are companies that rent for cruises.
OP, also to add although Carnival does not rent wheelchairs they do have a few companies that don't necessary "work with" Carnival but have been popular with guests. Due to security not all companies can enter and deliver to the terminal. So make sure whichever company you choose that they have access to the terminal.

I'm sure you and your mom are going to have an awesome time!:)

YES they do but they may not be available on every ship.

I know on Valor you can rent wheelchairs that can be used on board and off the ship at ports.

The cost was $125 for the week PLUS a $50 deposit that gets returned at the end of the week. So, basically $175.

You would not know until you board if they have them on Legend unless someone who has cruised her knows and posts here.

YES they do but they may not be available on every ship.

I know on Valor you can rent wheelchairs that can be used on board and off the ship at ports.

The cost was $125 for the week PLUS a $50 deposit that gets returned at the end of the week. So, basically $175.

You would not know until you board if they have them on Legend unless someone who has cruised her knows and posts here.

Well if that's the case then Carnival has not updated the policy manual they give employees. Because it clearly states Carnival does not rent wheelchairs. They do have vendors who rent wheelchairs....

Well if that's the case then Carnival has not updated the policy manual they give employees. Because it clearly states Carnival does not rent wheelchairs. They do have vendors who rent wheelchairs....

We rented last August 2011 on Valor. We did not even know about it beforehand. My husband and I saw someone being pushed in a Carnival stamped wheelchair and asked them. We then went to guest services and YES they do have them for rent.

We were told that not all ships offer the rentals and you really won't know until you board if they do or not.

I can only confirm Valor does because we personally rented one.

We rented last August 2011 on Valor. We did not even know about it beforehand. My husband and I saw someone being pushed in a Carnival stamped wheelchair and asked them. We then went to guest services and YES they do have them for rent.

We were told that not all ships offer the rentals and you really won't know until you board if they do or not.

I can only confirm Valor does because we personally rented one.

cool beans...so proof policy is not streamlined.:p;)

Archived