Do I need a visa?

I just booked a cruise for my husband and I (our first one!) on the Enchantment of the Sea (5-day, Western Caribbean, departing 10/24). The ports of call are Key West, Cozumel and Belize. We're very excited for our trip!

I have a passport, but my husband plans to use his birth certificate, which I understand will work until the rule changes at the end of this year. However, do I also need to get a visa for our trip?

Thanks in advance for your help - I've really enjoyed reading the boards here!

:)

You will not need a visa for either Mexico or Belize. While you are currently not required to get a passport it’s a really good idea. It is possible you will have to deal with officials other that just immigration and customs and while there probably would not be a problem the passport is so much more official. Another issue is the raised seal on the birth certificate. Some US counties and states no longer use the raised seal on official copies. Its fun watching a non-Spanish speaking tourist explaining that to a non-English speaking official whose definition of an “official copy” insists on a raised seal. I’ve seen it happen a couple of times at Mexican boarder crossings. A good Belize resource is http://www.travelbelize.org/

I went to the Belize Tourism board and copied this for you, and in Cozumel the birth certificate will be fine. That being said, you husband needs to go ahead and get a passport.

jc <----- proud member of the PPS (Passport Pushers Society)

Entry Requirements

VISA INFORMATION | DEPARTURE FEESWith the exception of cruise ship passengers, all visitors to Belize must present a valid passport before entering the country. Please note that driver's licenses and birth certificates are not approved travel documents and cannot be used to enter the country. Passports must be valid up until time of departure.

Any traveler whose passport is full or damaged (readable) must obtain a Visitor's Permit at the cost of US$100.00.

In cases where a visitor remains in the country for over 30 days, an extension of entry must be requested. Such extensions cost US$50.00 per month.

VISA INFORMATION

Who does NOT need an visa to enter Belize?

Nationals of the following countries do not require visas: Australia

Canada

Hong Kong

Mexico

New Zealand

Norway

United States

Venezuela

CARICOM member states

The following European Community member nations do not require visas: Austria

Belgium

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

Netherlands

Portugal

Spain

Sweden

United Kingdom

NOTE: Countries that have been recently added to the European community are still under consideration for visa waivers and must obtain a visa to enter the country.

Who needs a visa to enter Belize?

Entry visas should be obtained outside of Belize. For the nearest place to obtain a visa please visit: Belize Consuls and Embassies.

In cases where a visa has not been secured, one will be issued upon arrival at entry points. This will be facilitated only where prior approval has been granted by Immigration.

Nationals of the following countries must secure a visa to enter Belize.

Entry visas for these nationals are issued at a cost of US$100.00: Afghanistan

Albania

Algeria

Angola

Argentina

Bosnia

Brazil

Central African Republic

Chad

China

El Salvador

Ethiopia

Haiti

Honduras

Japan

Korea (North and South)

Libya

Monaco

Mongolia

Morocco

Nicaragua

Panama

Poland

Russia

Switzerland

Taiwan

Thailand

Ukraine

Yugoslavia

Zaire

In order to enter Belize, nationals of the following countries must secure a visa at a cost of US$100.00 and must obtain clearance from the Director of Immigration: Bolivia

Columbia

Cuba

Ecuador

Egypt

Iran

Iraq

Israel

Jordan

Lebanon

Libya

Nigeria

Palestine

Peru

Syria

United Arab Emigrates

Nationals of the following countries must secure a visa and must obtain clearance from the Director of Immigraion in order to enter the country.

Entry visas for these nationals are issued at a cost of US$2,000.00: People's Republic of China

India

Pakistan

Bangladesh

Sri Lanka

Nepal

Thailand

Myanmar (Burma)

Entry Requirements

VISA INFORMATION | DEPARTURE FEESWith the exception of cruise ship passengers, all visitors to Belize must present a valid passport before entering the country. Please note that driver's licenses and birth certificates are not approved travel documents and cannot be used to enter the country. Passports must be valid up until time of departure.

That's more the part that should be in bold type.

I just booked a cruise for my husband and I (our first one!) on the Enchantment of the Sea (5-day, Western Caribbean, departing 10/24). The ports of call are Key West, Cozumel and Belize. We're very excited for our trip!

I have a passport, but my husband plans to use his birth certificate, which I understand will work until the rule changes at the end of this year. However, do I also need to get a visa for our trip?

Thanks in advance for your help - I've really enjoyed reading the boards here!

:)

When we visited Mexico and Belize via cruise ship, I had a US Passport and did not need a Belieze or Mexico Visa to cruise. Naren, however, holds an India passport and did need a Mexico and a Belize visa to cruise.

Things are so much better now that he has a greencard. No more visas required! :D

Archived