Fantasy Cruise Questions

grandmaR

I have been reading some of the reviews of Fantasy. I have not cruised on Disney before so the reviews brought up some questions in my mind.

I will be going with my granddaughter who will be 12. I am taking this cruise because I think she will enjoy it rather than because I am a big Disney fan.

She has to have a gluten free diet. How will they manage that if we rotate dining rooms? One of the reviews said the servers did not remember dietary requirements of the people at their table. This could cause us problems. Also how would the children's clubs handle a diet requirement like this - I imagine that they would not have gluten free pizza for instance.

I was intending to do a b2b cruise because I don't like to do a cruise of less than 14 days. Will the 2nd cruise be boring with everything being repeated?

Is there internet on the Disney ships - one review mentioned something about not being able to do the internet without a laptop. I do intend to bring a laptop, but no one else has even mentioned the internet.

The second cruise which is the third week in June (the 15th) is being billed as a Father's Day cruise. We won't have a father with us. Is it going to be a such a big deal that my granddaughter will be upset at not having her father or any of her grandfathers with her?

I do not see a Roll Call for the first cruise which is June 8th. Last time this happened, I started a Roll Call and found that there was already one that was hidden. So does anyone know where the Roll Call is for the June 8th cruise is located?

Someone has told me that the rooms on Fantasy have no twin beds, only a queen/double and a pull-out couch. Is this correct?

I will be using a scooter to get around. I am hoping that Disney will be OK with this.

I haven't seen anything mentioned about how to get to the port except from Orlando. I will NOT be coming from Orlando. (I am not a really big Disney fan and I avoid Orlando whenever possible.)

I'll give my 2 cents

First and foremost - I personally don't think you have to be a Disney fan to enjoy their ships and cruises. Now, if you DISLIKE Disney, then you need to rethink it because it is all Disney.

Can't comment on how the staff will handle special dietary needs but I can say that of the cruises we've been on, we felt the Disney wait staff got to know us and our preferences better than any others. And the staff follows you on your rotational dining.

Since the two B2B cruises are different itineraries, I wouldn't think you'll be bored, BUT the shows will be the same and most activities I assume. Never done a B2B but I would think that's always the issue.

As for getting to the port - if you don't fly into Orlando - where would you fly into? Disney does a great job with their ground transport from MCO or from the resorts. If you fly in on embarkation day they will take you right to the port from MCO. If you flying in night early and stay at a Disney resort they will give you complementary transport to the hotel, and then you can purchase the ground transport to the port on cruise day.

Don't know about 2 vrs 1 bed, but I can tell you that category for category, the Disney ship cabins to appear to be bigger than other lines.

Obviously, we are Disney people and are biased, but unless you truely Dislike Disney, I think you might just be surprised at the quality experience they've put together

Fantasy goes out of Ft. Lauderdale and not Cape Canaveral. Why would I fly into Orlando?

I have family in Miami so I would likely either fly into FTL or MIA.

I don't hate Disney - I'm just not a complete fan.

I'm sure the beds will be fine. I was just taken aback to find that it wouldn't be possible to have twins. Sometimes to have room for the scooter to maneuver it is easier with twins

Fantasy goes out of Ft. Lauderdale and not Cape Canaveral. Why would I fly into Orlando?

I have family in Miami so I would likely either fly into FTL or MIA.

I don't hate Disney - I'm just not a complete fan.

I'm sure the beds will be fine. I was just taken aback to find that it wouldn't be possible to have twins. Sometimes to have room for the scooter to maneuver it is easier with twins

You may want to recheck your ports. Fantasy goes out of Port Canaveral East side of Orlando.

Fantasy comes in Saturday and Dream comes in Sunday.

OOps you are right. I guess I was thinking of my next cruise which is out of Ft. Lauderdale. I like Fort Lauderdale next best to Baltimore which is my favorite port to leave from.

I've never flown in to Orlando and never left from Cape Canaveral. I guess new experiences are good, but I am dismayed to have to deal with this one. It's too far from my daughter's place in Miami for her to help me, so I will have to get myself to Houston to pick up my granddaughter and then get to the port.

My responses are in purple

I have been reading some of the reviews of Fantasy. I have not cruised on Disney before so the reviews brought up some questions in my mind.

I will be going with my granddaughter who will be 12. I am taking this cruise because I think she will enjoy it rather than because I am a big Disney fan.

She has to have a gluten free diet. How will they manage that if we rotate dining rooms?

One of the reviews said the servers did not remember dietary requirements of the people at their table. This could cause us problems. Also how would the children's clubs handle a diet requirement like this - I imagine that they would not have gluten free pizza for instance.

A gluten free diet can be accommodated in the full service restaurants onboard the Disney Fantasy (the buffet may have some gluten free items but the selection will be limited).

You would need to call Disney and tell them about your granddaughter's dietary needs so it can be added to your reservation. Your servers travel with you to each restaurant so they should remember your special dietary needs. You might need to mention it to them the first night to be on the safe side.

For the children's clubs - meals are brought in and while the counselors will do what they can to accommodate your granddaugther's dietary needs, there is no guarantee.

I was intending to do a b2b cruise because I don't like to do a cruise of less than 14 days. Will the 2nd cruise be boring with everything being repeated?

There is so much to see and do aboard the Disney Fantasy that I doubt you will be bored. As stated earlier, the shows will be repeated. However, there are so many daily activities offered you should be able to do the things on your second cruise that you didn't have time for during your first cruise.

Is there internet on the Disney ships - one review mentioned something about not being able to do the internet without a laptop. I do intend to bring a laptop, but no one else has even mentioned the internet.

The Disney Fantasy offers internet access through WiFi hotspots located throughout the ship (including your stateroom) or by using the Internet Cafes. You can borrow a laptop in the internet cafes if you don't bring one.

There is a fee for using the internet. You can purchase minutes with prices that ranges from $0.30/ minute to $0.75/minute depending on the package that you purchase.

Disney does note that onboard internet service may be slower than you may be used to and at times might become interrupted or unavailable.

The second cruise which is the third week in June (the 15th) is being billed as a Father's Day cruise. We won't have a father with us. Is it going to be a such a big deal that my granddaughter will be upset at not having her father or any of her grandfathers with her?

When you say that the June 15th cruise "is being billed as a Father's Day cruise" are you referring to something you saw on the Disney website or the title of the June 15th Roll Call thread?

I do not see a Roll Call for the first cruise which is June 8th. Last time this happened, I started a Roll Call and found that there was already one that was hidden. So does anyone know where the Roll Call is for the June 8th cruise is located?

I didn't see June 8th roll call thread either

Someone has told me that the rooms on Fantasy have no twin beds, only a queen/double and a pull-out couch. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. The Disney Fantasy has queen beds that do not separate. You would also have a single convertible sofa in your cabin.

I will be using a scooter to get around. I am hoping that Disney will be OK with this.

Yes, Disney is Ok with you bringing a scooter. You would need to let Disney know now so that they can note it on your reservation. By the way, you will not be able to leave the scooter in the hallway.

I haven't seen anything mentioned about how to get to the port except from Orlando. I will NOT be coming from Orlando. (I am not a really big Disney fan and I avoid Orlando whenever possible.)

See my response below.

OOps you are right. I guess I was thinking of my next cruise which is out of Ft. Lauderdale. I like Fort Lauderdale next best to Baltimore which is my favorite port to leave from.

I've never flown in to Orlando and never left from Cape Canaveral. I guess new experiences are good, but I am dismayed to have to deal with this one. It's too far from my daughter's place in Miami for her to help me, so I will have to get myself to Houston to pick up my granddaughter and then get to the port.

You would fly into Orlando International Airport which is located about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes from Cape Canaveral.

There are several ways to get from the airport to Port Canaveral:

1. Disney Cruise Line transfers

2. Private car transfers

3. Rent a car and drive to the port

If you are arriving in Orlando the day before your cruise, I would recommend that you stay at a hotel near the cruise port (especially since you don't like Orlando).

I can recommend a very nice hotel in Cape Canaveral that my clients have stayed at that has a complimentary breakfast and shuttle service to the port.

Send me a PM and I would be happy to share more info with you.

A gluten free diet can be accommodated in the full service restaurants onboard the Disney Fantasy (the buffet may have some gluten free items but the selection will be limited).

I don't care for eating in the buffet myself because it is awkward with cane or scooter to carry food, but on most ships the regular restaurants are not open in port, so I am more or less forced to eat there. My granddaughter will be 12 and has been gluten free for several years so I think she will be able to pick things (fruit, and sliced meat for instance are usually gluten free) that she will be able to eat.

You would need to call Disney and tell them about your granddaughter's dietary needs so it can be added to your reservation. Your servers travel with you to each restaurant so they should remember your special dietary needs. You might need to mention it to them the first night to be on the safe side.

I wondered about whether the servers would be the same or different. My travel agent will tell them about her requirements when he makes the reservation and I will repeat it when I register.

For the children's clubs - meals are brought in and while the counselors will do what they can to accommodate your granddaugther's dietary needs, there is no guarantee.

Could she leave the children's club and come and eat lunch with me?

There is so much to see and do aboard the Disney Fantasy that I doubt you will be bored. As stated earlier, the shows will be repeated. However, there are so many daily activities offered you should be able to do the things on your second cruise that you didn't have time for during your first cruise.

I don't usually go to the shows but my husband my grandchildren will often go without me or with others they meet on the ship

The Disney Fantasy offers internet access through WiFi hotspots located throughout the ship (including your stateroom) or by using the Internet Cafes. You can borrow a laptop in the internet cafes if you don't bring one.

There is a fee for using the internet. You can purchase minutes with prices that ranges from $0.30/ minute to $0.75/minute depending on the package that you purchase.

Disney does note that onboard internet service may be slower than you may be used to and at times might become interrupted or unavailable.

This sounds like it is more or less the same as the other cruises I've been on.

When you say that the June 15th cruise "is being billed as a Father's Day cruise" are you referring to something you saw on the Disney website or the title of the June 15th Roll Call thread?

The Roll Call.

I didn't see June 8th roll call thread either

Yes, Disney is Ok with you bringing a scooter. You would need to let Disney know now so that they can note it on your reservation. By the way, you will not be able to leave the scooter in the hallway.

So far I've had a scooter on Carnival, Princess, and HAL. I have always been able to get the scooter through the door of the non-handicapped room so I could park and charge it. I have my own scooter, but I sometimes rent one from Special Needs at Sea so that I don't have to check my scooter on various airplanes. However on Carnival and Princess I've been able to have the bed made into twins so that I would have room to turn the scooter around. On HAL we had a balcony so we just moved the beds over a little bit and parked the scooter next to the bathroom.

There are several ways to get from the airport to Port Canaveral:

1. Disney Cruise Line transfers

2. Private car transfers

3. Rent a car and drive to the port

If you are arriving in Orlando the day before your cruise, I would recommend that you stay at a hotel near the cruise port (especially since you don't like Orlando).

I have stayed in the Canaveral area several times before - but mostly on our own boat in marinas, although we once rented a condo in Titusville. I don't really want to rent a car, so I will have to think about this some more. (I have almost a year).

We were in that port twice recently. Once we were on the same side as the Jetty Park and once on the other side. Do you know which side Disney docks on?

Archived