Not enough outlets

LifeNJ

The best way to deal with outlets IME is do the following:

Three foot triple tap. This will provide three 15A outlets. Crawl under that little table where the hair dryer is and run the plug up through the hole where the hair dryer wire feeds through. Plug this into the 120V socket. This will provide you with 3 outlets. Into one of these outlets you can connect either an extension cord (the use of 3 wire 16AWG or heavier type SJ is recommended) OR a power strip (the one I pictured earlier has a long enough lead that an extension cord is generally not required in most steerage cabins! ;) )

Depending on where you use your devices (near the bed or dresser) will depend on your configuration.

If you need power by your bunk for a laptop, CPAP, etc. run a cord with a triple tap there. The only limit is your imagination.

Now the outlet cannot supply an unlimited amount of power so common sense applies! This arrangement will power any assortment of laptop, gaming console, chargers for phones, tablets, you name it!

Remember the housekeeping staff need to work around this so please run the wires along the walls and never across the floor where they can be tripped over, etc.

Another thing regarding the 240V "european" style connection. If you have an adapter to allow a US plug to connect to these please remember to check the name plate on your device! Most electronic "wall wart" style chargers will accept a wide voltage range of 100-250V input so this is not a problem. NEVER connect a power strip to this arrangement! These devices are not meant to run at input voltages higher than 125VAC. Additionally ones that contain surge arrestors WILL clamp at that voltage causing a short which will trip a circuit breaker. Do NOT allow this to happen!

Be smart and safe and have fun! :)

Cheers,

Norman

Pretty much what I do. If you connect one extension cord into the other, you still have 5 outlets available. I don't have any devices that use a three-prong outlet ...the household extension cords are easier to pack than a power strip. I use a 6 and a 9 ft cord. I do the same thing in the sleeper bedroom on Amtrak.

I also use a plug adapter and plug one extension cord into the 240V outlet as all of my chargers are capable of that voltage. By using both outlets in the cabin with a couple of triple-tap extension cords I have plenty. Also, a couple of my USB chargers have 2 or 3 outlets and are capable of supplying 2-3 amps. I can leave the individual chargers behind and just take the USB cables.

Edited by TinCan782
added info