First time cruisers...desperately seeking info, tips..

QCNash09

We've sailed HAL numerous times as well as Princess, NCL, etc. We've always had a great time on every cruise. We used to do all RSVP cruises when we started but decided to no limit ourselves to a few cruises a year when there are so many available.

Do join the regular roll call here as well. We've joined every roll call and had great success meeting lots of great people. We've always been welcome on the regular roll calls.

Our favorite bar in the evening is the Crows Nest at the top of the ship. Since we are there every evening, the staff knows you by name and your drink preference. They usually serve hot appetizers in the main bars during cocktail hours.

The beds are a non-issue. Ask your steward and he will take care of it. If you don't see him before dinner the first evening and you need the arrangement changed, you can leave a post-it note for him (or extra pillows, hangers, etc). One hint - if you are in the room after 5PM, we usually put the "Do not disturb" sign on the door to discourage the steward from trying to get in to make up the room - we sometime like to 'nap' before dinner! Make sure to put the "Make room up" sign when you leave.

They will get to know your schedule early on.

We usually book the Pinnacle for formal nights. It is a very nice steak house. On our last cruise, they were advertising a special wine dinner in the Pinnacle. They sent us an invitation to dine there free because no one else signed up! We ended up there 3 times that cruise.

Ask the price of the drinks they are selling during sail away in the fancy glasses - you can always get the same drink in a regular glass and not pay for the fancy one - usually save you a couple of dollar and the trouble of carting the glasses back!

Relax and enjoy yourselves. Your first cruise is very exciting and will be the one you remember the best.

Some advice if you end up with fixed/assigned seating in the dining room, as I think this is very intimidating for first time GLBT cruisers:

We have met some wonderful people at assigned seating in the dining room from around the world. My first suggestion is to request a table of at least 6 people (three couples). That way if there is a little awkwardness with one of the couples the third couple will almost certainly mix up the group dynamics in a good way.

We did ask to change tables once. We were seated at a table with 2 crass, vulgar slobs (one really did look like Larry Flynt) and their wives. They told us they made their money selling women's lingerie! They were abusive towards the waiters, and ridiculed our jobs and where we lived. We sat through the meal, but at the first opportunity we went to the maitre' d to change tables. We ended up with a great table after that change. If you have assigned seating and it doesn't work out, just ask for a change. It happens all the time and will be taken care of in under a minute. The maitre'd will accommodate without needing an explanation.

Finally, I'd recommend late seating which seems to attract a more diverse demographic. We normally eat at 5 PM when we are at home, but on a cruise we never eat before 7:30 because we like to watch the sun go down on the deck and then grab a cocktail before dinner.

We've never encountered a crew member who didn't go out of his/her way to make us feel welcome. Passengers for the most part want to have a good time on vacation and have left any ideological baggage at home. Our rules are that we don't talk about religion or politics when we are on the ship, although I will admit that we've broken the rules a few times when we've been with people who agree with us on those issues.

QCNash09, you guys are about to embark on a wonderful experience and I'm you'll never turn back. The advice you've been given is all good. Like yourself, on our first cruise I worried about what to wear, what people would think etc and it turned out to be for nothing. Ship staff love us, especially on Holland America and any request isn't too much for them. Take a suite or sport coat, while you can get away with just a shirt and tie you will be in the minority. Besides this is an opporunity to "dress up" and participate in the mood of the ship for the evening. and will be fun. My partner hates dressing up but does wear a blazer and a great tie on those evenings. Don't overpack, try to pack clothing that can be worn with serveral other items. Fortunately, my partner and I are the same size so we can switch back and forth. When we travel we have one large suitecase which has the blazer, my suite, 2 pair of pants and various collared shirts., and whole lot of t-shirts and shorts. We always do anytime dining and never have had a problem with getting a table for two with either Holland America or Princess and never noticed anyone giving us a second glance. Have fun guys!

Archived