First time to Alaska

Trues

I'm still trying to figure out how to post a thread so if you've seen this before please forgive. With the help of these great boards I've decided on the southeast tour in Skagway. Now I need help with Juneau and Ketchikan. I wanted to do the float trip in Ketchikan but since we're sort of up there (80 and 82) my husband vetoed that one, I might have tried (lol). Maybe we need something a little tamer. Any suggestions would be welcome. We don't go until Aug. 28th so have plenty of time. I've wanted to do this for years so we'll celebrate birthdays and 58th anniversary all at the same time.

:) Delighted to read your thread, knowing what a great adventure you both are in for. What ship are your sailing ?? We went 2 years ago in late August and had a trip of a lifetime. So wonderful we are going again end of June on Diamond. In Juneau you could go whale watching. Captain Larry has a great reputation, with a smaller ship, fewer people. But you can also book via Princess Shore Excursions a whale watch on a larger Catamaran that may be more stable on the upper deck. In Ketchikan people rave about the Lumberjack Show (right near the dock, I believe). Also Ketchikan is a wonderful, colorful little town to walk around in and shop and eat. You can rent poles at local stores and fish in the creek there. It should be rolling with Salmon at that time. Just post anymore questions. Have a fabulous cruise, Trues!!!!

I don't have much advice since I haven't gone yet but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your anniversary! That is awesome! I'm sure you will have a terrific time, whatever you decide to do.

We're going on Serenade of the Seas on August 28th. Thanks for the help. I will check the Princess Shore Excursion, is that independent or thru the cruise line. Another one mentioned the Duck Tour in Ketchikan. I am so excited to be going and just want everything lined up before we go.

congratulations on the anniversary! Your question was timely. I am taking my parents (also age 82 and 80!) on their first cruise to Alaska next month and was just looking over the site to see suggestions for excursions. They are both active (mom goes to the gym every day and dad golfs) but didn't want to pick any trips that they might not feel relaxed on. Dad hates large lines/groups/buses, so I was looking at doing Captain Larrys whale watch but didn't know how rough it would be. Would love more thoughts on this. Also was thinking of the White Pass Railroad, but didn't know if this would be too long. Would love to hear any more thoughts about Juneau, Skagway and Ketchecan. :)

Captain Larry Would Take Great Care Of You..the Day We Went It Was Not Rough At All And There Is Plenty Of Room Inside The Cabin To Sit And Rest. White Pass In Skagway Would Also Be A Good Choice. Well Worth The Time.

If You Are Up For Adventure...try Island Wings In Ketchikan. Michelle Gave Us A Great Show In Her Float Plane. It Was Dh Favorite Excursion The Whole Trip.

I'm saving for my first cruise to Alaska, how long before the prices are published and ports of call listed? What is the earliest that one can find out from the cruise companys how much? Is it too early to book for a 2006 cruise to Alaska?

137692140906.jpg

congratulations on the anniversary! Your question was timely. I am taking my parents (also age 82 and 80!) on their first cruise to Alaska next month and was just looking over the site to see suggestions for excursions. They are both active (mom goes to the gym every day and dad golfs) but didn't want to pick any trips that they might not feel relaxed on. Dad hates large lines/groups/buses, so I was looking at doing Captain Larrys whale watch but didn't know how rough it would be. Would love more thoughts on this. Also was thinking of the White Pass Railroad, but didn't know if this would be too long. Would love to hear any more thoughts about Juneau, Skagway and Ketchecan. :)

We're going to do the Southeast tour in Skagway ' looks like a small bus with bit windows and goes 55 miles to the Yukon and British Columbia, also parrallels the railroad they have a web site for Southeast tours. You might want to check it

Archived