Is there another way up to Mystic mountain besides chairlift?

boomonster

We are looking at doing Mystic Mountain on our upcoming cruise. My concern is my MIL will not be able to do the chairlift due to mobility issuesunless they can completely stop it and wait on her. So i was wondering if there is another way up like taxi or something. I am assuming there is a road since they have a restaurant and need food delivered . Wondering if it accessable to others. She was just going to hang out with us for the day and not do the bobsled or anything. She can walk with a cane it just takes awhile. Also was wondering what it cost for a cab from port to there. Trying to see if we should just book it through cruiseline or not.Any info would help

I have not been to Mystic Mountain but we did research it. I saw several posts that said there were scenarios where someone was so afraid of the height on the chairlift, and did not want to go back down the mountain by the chairlift, and apparently the workers said that was the only way back down. (yeah, right...) One poster said she was terrified because her toddler wouldn't sit still and there was only a single bar across the lap which is how chairlifts are everywhere and she was terrfied the child would wiggle out of her arms (which I TOTALLY related to as I experienced the same thing in Gatlinburg when my son was 20 months old) and she did not want him riding it back down. I believe after she kept insisting there was other ways down and held her ground, they did finally have someone drive her and the small child down, but it was clear it was not their standard practice. That's all I needed to read. I'm terrified of heights so we will not be doing Mystic Mountain. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking at doing Mystic Mountain on our upcoming cruise. My concern is my MIL will not be able to do the chairlift due to mobility issuesunless they can completely stop it and wait on her. So i was wondering if there is another way up like taxi or something.

I feel sure that they would be happy to stop the chairlift in order to accommodate your MIL. There is definitely a worker manning the bottom of the lift, and unless I am badly mistaken, there was a stop button at his podium/station. I can't think of any reason why it would be a problem to just stop the lift for her to sit & get situated. ...maybe if there were people waiting for hours to go up, but even then I'm sure it would be "No Problem Mon!" You could contact them & ask if you want to be sure.

I don't think a taxi will work. I did not see any kind of access road. I agree that there must be one somewhere, but I doubt it is a public road that taxis would use. My guess is that they rarely transport anything via the road that would fit on the lift. Even the staff we saw coming & going used the chairlift. (Some had "to go" meals from the restaurant. Others had purses/backpacks & seemed to be headed home for the day.) We saw several "chairs" making the circuit with only "cargo". For example, when you finish the zip-line course, your equipment is simply loaded onto a "chair" and sent back to the top.

If your MIL has any interest in riding the chairlift, I would encourage you to do everything you can to get her on it. The views are amazing!!

Unfortunately, if someone is afraid of heights, I think the ride would be terrifying. :-( I wouldn't say that it's unsafe, but it definitely does not have the safety features we've become accustomed to in the U.S. (30 years ago it didn't bother me to ride in a car without a seatbelt, but now not buckling up makes me uncomfortable.) If I were traveling with a child pre-school age or younger, I would invest in a harness-type "child leash" (or backpack or maybe a life jacket with a leg strap (also useful for the infinity pool)) to use as a safety belt/grab handle when riding the chairlift. ...or put them in overalls. :-) I used that trick many times when my kids were little & I wanted to be able to keep a secure hold on them!

I'm afraid I don't remember what we paid for the cab. I know it was more than what I expected from reading these message boards. BUT we ended up not docking at the main port, so there were several things that did not go as I expected. I think booking through the cruise line would have eliminated a lot of the confusion caused by that change. But because we didn't go through the cruise line, we were able to go where we wanted & stay as long as we wanted. THAT was completely worth it!

Have a wonderful trip!!

Hi, I need to know the same thing as we are going next month and my parents (83 and 78) are a little unsteady on their feet, Mom will have a cane. I emailed M. Mountain directly but have not heard from then yet, when I do I will post. I may and try calling them.

I am a little concerned to with everyone talking about the bar that goes across - it doesn't seem very secure - does it lock in place so it cannot be moved, or is it just laying there? I want to find more out about that. I know my parents cannot do it if it is not stopped, they need a w minute to get settled etc. Hopefully we will hear more. Thanks everyone!

OK, I just called M. Mountain b/c I never got an email from them. I was told that if you tell the operator, they will stop the chair lift for you so you can get settled etc. which my parents will need done.

Also, I asked about the bar that goes across, does it lock into place and he said yes, it will not move. So, I feel better about this and hopefully the original poster does too!

Archived