So Confused, ship time vs local time cozumel

tomsuelaw

We are doing the same cruise Feb 2. We will be in Roatan on the 6th. Our itinerary says we arrive at 9:00, but our Carnival sponsored activity says it leaves at 8:00. I'm assuming the arrival is based on ship time and our activity is based on island time. :confused:

And if you look at the mahoganybaycc.com website, it shows the Dream in port from 7-4.

My guess is that the Puerta Maya website is wrong. They have it listed as arriving at 8:00 local time for the Dream on all sailings Nov-Feb. Then, it's back to 9:00. I would call Carnival and ask for a confirmation on the time in port. Perhaps they are arriving an hour earlier (9:00 ship time) for those 4 months.

For those that say to just stay on ship time and forget local time, you're just not understanding. Many of us book independent excursions, some of which do not take into account the time differences of the ships, especially in Cozumel. We MUST know the difference in times. We have to make the adjustment. When someone mentions that they're booking an independent excursion, don't tell them to just stick to ship time and forget local time. They could wind up booking an excursion that starts before the ship comes into port, or they could book an excursion that won't end before the ship leaves. Then, they're in big trouble. I understand your reasoning for telling them to ignore local time: you don't want them to miss the ship. But that advice could cause them to miss the ship, if they can't get back to the ship because the excursion is ending an hour or more later than they thought, because of the time difference.

Ok, this response is not helpful. Obviously since I am asking this question it is because I am trying to make plans and must take into account local time in order to book activities.

Yes, if I was just going to get off the ship and do my own thing then time would not matter and I would not have to factor local time...but if a local tour starts on local time then I am going to have to factor local time vs ship time.

The reputable companies that offer excursions are familure with all of the ships arrival and departure times since that is where most of their income comes from. The ship will stay on est so that is the time you need to use. As another poster said use you watch not your cell for time updates. When you book an excursion they should ask you about what ship you will be on and they can help you with your booking accordingly.

Have fun!!!!!

This is why we use ShoreTrips (Google it) for most of our excursions. They seem to know Carnival's ship's schedule better than Carnival. But, you better believe I ask before leaving the ship what time they're using because I really don't want to experience that sinking feeling watching the ship pull away as I'm standing on the pier!:eek:

My guess is that the Puerta Maya website is wrong. They have it listed as arriving at 8:00 local time for the Dream on all sailings Nov-Feb. Then, it's back to 9:00. I would call Carnival and ask for a confirmation on the time in port. Perhaps they are arriving an hour earlier (9:00 ship time) for those 4 months.

For those that say to just stay on ship time and forget local time, you're just not understanding. Many of us book independent excursions, some of which do not take into account the time differences of the ships, especially in Cozumel. We MUST know the difference in times. We have to make the adjustment. When someone mentions that they're booking an independent excursion, don't tell them to just stick to ship time and forget local time. They could wind up booking an excursion that starts before the ship comes into port, or they could book an excursion that won't end before the ship leaves. Then, they're in big trouble. I understand your reasoning for telling them to ignore local time: you don't want them to miss the ship. But that advice could cause them to miss the ship, if they can't get back to the ship because the excursion is ending an hour or more later than they thought, because of the time difference.

Smart cruisers ask these questions when booking private tours. You need to tell them in advance which ship you are sailing on, and need to make them aware that as far as you know (you won't know 100% until you get on the ship) that the ship stays on Florida time, it departs at 4pm (or whatever) Florida time, and you need to be back at the appropriate time ahead of that. As others have said, all the reputable companies know the ship schedules and that a good chunk of their business comes from referrals from sites like this. If a company has time issues, people are going to know about it, so they work very hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

Most local businesses, big or small, will be familiar with the concept of ship time. I'm sure they keep track of ships coming in to their port each day, and know what time zone the ship sails out of. Since most Caribbean cruises use only ship time, the departure port's time zone is a reliable indicator of ship time.

When I was in Cozumel, I even had this happen to me, when I was swimming, lost track of time, and needed to quickly hop on a return shuttle to port. I asked a worker in Chankanaab Park what time it was. She told me: "It's 4:30, but for you, it's 5:30." I was wearing a Carnival hat at that moment, so she must have figured out I was there on a cruise, and presumably, even knew which ship.

But in the end, you are ultimately responsible for keeping track of ship time. If you don't do a good job of ensuring your being on time, no one else will.

Archived