Sold-Out Cruise?

GrannyMouse

I don't know the impact of a sold-out cruise since I haven't been on my first yet. But, I do know that just because it is sold-out today, doesn't mean that it will stay sold-out. Often times people will cancel just prior to final payment, opening rooms that were previously considered sold. This is part of why Princess has to do those fire-sales during the last month or so prior to the cruise. Also why some folks receive an upgrade at the pier.

We've been on several sold-out ships, including Sapphire Princess last week (Alaska, R/T Seattle), Coral Princess/Alaska in 2004, and Norwegian Star in Hawaii (spring 2003). We've not found it a problem, except at tender ports that can go slowly.

The only cruise we ever felt was really crowded was a pre-season Alaska 5-day on Amsterdam in 2003, where the cruise was handled entirely by one agency and they OVERbooked it with extra people in every stateroom that could hold extras. We ourselves were in a huge suite with Neptune Lounge at our disposal so it didn't bother us personally -- but the public areas were unpleasant and the staff was stressed.

Reserve your dinners ahead of time (if you don't have traditional fixed seating), and enjoy!

The Coral was sold out on our 14 May cruise. At least that is what was announced at dinner the first night. We found out later that about 150 people with or exposed to novo virus did not sail. We had a beautiful cruise.

Jim

Archived