entry to US

Baxterburdis

Hi could anyone clarify to me what the entery requirments are for UK pax going to the US for a cruise. I have had my cruise booked for over a year and have just realized that i can't find my passport......with twin baby boys i havent had much of a chance to go on holiday yet and therefore havent need it for a while......so......yahoooo....only 6 month 14 days left untill december 8th !!!!!! :D :D

If you find your passport and it is machine readable (got lots of numbers along bottom of photo page) then you quailfy for the Visa waiver program - i.e. can enter US without any further work. See here:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html

However, if you have to replace your passport (expired easy - lost, time consuming) then you need to get your skates on, as after 25/10/05, UK passport holders with passports issued AFTER this date will ALSO have to get a visa to enter the US which means applying in person at the Consulate:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukpa07apr05.html

Start hunting! (and enjoy you holiday!)

Peter

Just renewed my son's passport. It didn't run out until April 2006 but a lot of places need 6 months on the passport anyway. We are off to the caribbean at xmas so thought it best to get it sorted nice and early as well as the US in September. He has 9 months extra on the new passport instead of the year which is what he had left when I renewed it. This whole passport visa issue is quite confusing isn't it?? Even from October if you have a biometric passport do you still need a visa????

Elaine

Even from October if you have a biometric passport do you still need a visa???? Elaine

No, but afaik no one, let alone the US, is yet issuing biometric passports - and the UK won't be anytiime soon either....

Peter

No, but afaik no one, let alone the US, is yet issuing biometric passports - and the UK won't be anytiime soon either....

Peter

So in October 2005 what changes are being made to our passports to then mean we have to apply for a visa???

Elaine

So in October 2005 what changes are being made to our passports to then mean we have to apply for a visa???

Elaine

The changes are in US immigration rules for the visa waiver program - UK passports are not changing (nor are US) but passports issued after the October deadline will need biometric data, and if they don't, (and as they don't) do not go to US until you have gone to Embassy for a Visa...Passports issued before October, provided they are machine readable, are fine.

Peter

Phew, I was getting worried then. Just renewed son's but we have had our machine readable for some time. I know hubby and daughter got into the US with theirs last year and mine was issued the same time. I was worried I'd have to drag No:1 son down to the US embassy for a visa. Looks like I did the right thing in changing his passport now. Won't have to worry now for another few years (unless any of us lose our passport) and hopefully by then they will be biometric.

Elaine

Archived