Celebrity Reflection - Nov 1, 2013

Schplinky

How do you guys pack for two to three weeks cruise and pre cruise if you're not flying first class? We're in Italy one full week before November 1st. Its not going to be all warm weather until we get far south. More clothes. I really thought we would skip the whole dress up thing in an effort to save space. We're planning one suitcase each and a carryon weighing less than 8 kg. I assume we will go to a specialty restaurant on formal nights. Bill and I just returned from twelve days in NJ with family. We each had almost 50 lbs and that was all mid summer clothes.

So what's the packing secret?

Bob, we used to do two weeks in Europe with just carry ons all the time (and that was before they had wheels!). A cruise is a little more difficult, but it can be done. I used to limit myself to two colors: gray and black, so no problems mixing and matching. On our last TA, the cruise left BCN in December and the weather in the Med that fall had been cold and wet. No one knew what to pack. A few days before departure, nice weather returned and stayed nice. We ended up not wearing half of what we brought. This trip, we plan to pack more lightly.

German friends (a straight couple) travel all over, from Patagonia to Spitzbergen. Two years ago, they flew Air Berlin from Frankfurt to Barcelona and then home from Miami. They told me they were WAY under Air Berlin's weight limits—and they always looked nice.

If, like us, you tend to travel on public transport (planes, trains, metros, buses—we've even ridden the NYC subway into lower Manhattan from JFK), fewer, lighter bags makes easier traveling. I posted on the main roll call about some packing aids we use:

We use packing cubes—one for socks, one for underwear, one for tee shirts, etc. They keep your suitcases neat and fit perfectly in shallow drawers, closet shelves and overhead bins in cabins. There are many brands, but we use these:http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/p...%5E26970771378

Bart

Quote:

Originally Posted by bovs

-------------------------------------------------

Yep, that's what we have also, from ebags dot com. Have gone on several cruises with them now, and they are wonderful and help keep everything organized and realtively wrinkle-free. I have packed all my ironed shirts, dress slacks and sport coats in them, without problems. Underwear in one, T-shirts in another, and socks in a 3rd one; all go right into the drawers unpacked. The shirts, slacks, and sportcoats I hang up in the closet. The different size cubes fit together very well in our suitcases, and the nice thing about them is you can see through the fabric to determine what is inside. Once you use them for a trip, you will never go back to the old way of just loading clothes in suitcases without them!

-Gene-

Gene described these perfectly. We each have a set of these in different colors, so our clothes don't get mixed up. We also use Eagle Creek pack-it folders. They not only compact clothes, but said clothes arrive wrinkle-free. Here's what one reviewer wrote:

Quote:

I especially like how nice my shirts and slacks arrive when I unpack upon arrival. The 20" Pack-It is large enough to accommodate several (4-5) shirts and (2-3) slacks, enough for 10 to 12 days of business travel.

We can do a two week land trip in Europe with just carry-ons using these items. Both are available at both Ebags and Amazon.

http://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-c...uctid=10183065

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr...ref=pd_sim_a_1

Bart

We wear our heaviest clothing (including shoes) on the plane and we each carry a backpack, with meds, electronics and anything we want with us. My goal this trip (including a week in Rome), even though we are flying in the front of the plane and are allowed three 70 lb bags ea, is ONE 25 in bag apiece. MAYBE one rollabord between the two of us in addition. Trust me, no one will notice if you repeat outfits. ;)

Email me if you'd like more details.

Hey it's Randy...I've been away from home and gone from the discussion for a while...am back now. I've also had to alter my travel plans...I now will not be arriving in Rome until shortly after noon on Oct 30. Have already rebooked the flight, but now have to rebook my Rome accommodations.

I guess I'll try to get something in Travestere will be easier to get together with you guys and also share a transfer ...was looking into a great flat on airbnb at Travestre 94 but the landlady requires a three night stay and I'm going from 8 nights in Rome down to only two now... :( (have a wedding here to attend) ...

Any hotel recommendations? I'm flying business class Lufthansa so have baggage allowance of 2 checked bags 70 pounds each which is great except if I do pack heavy, it kinda makes an elevator in my accommodations rather a necessity.

Randy

Hey it's Randy...I've been away from home and gone from the discussion for a while...am back now. I've also had to alter my travel plans...I now will not be arriving in Rome until shortly after noon on Oct 30. Have already rebooked the flight, but now have to rebook my Rome accommodations.

I guess I'll try to get something in Travestere will be easier to get together with you guys and also share a transfer ...was looking into a great flat on airbnb at Travestre 94 but the landlady requires a three night stay and I'm going from 8 nights in Rome down to only two now... :( (have a wedding here to attend) ...

Any hotel recommendations? I'm flying business class Lufthansa so have baggage allowance of 2 checked bags 70 pounds each which is great except if I do pack heavy, it kinda makes an elevator in my accommodations rather a necessity.

Randy

Randy -

It's great to have you back... sorry to hear that you have had some last minute changes in your itinerary.

Regarding hotel stays... I bet our friend Bart (sdbart) will be able to come up with some good suggestions based on his many trips to Rome and the reserve of info that he probably has handy at his fingertips. There is a lot to catch up on, both here and on the main cruise thread. Hopefully things are going smooth for you now and you can do that catch-up.

I am re-posting some information from one of my previous threads regarding an activity that Bart, Bob, Lee, Mike, Iain, and myself are doing on 31-October. It is a Trastevere evening food tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39610081&postcount=241

I looked again today on the food tour website (see link above for food tour website). There is still 2 spots available to join the tour that the six of us are participating in. Even though you get into Rome on 30-Oct, we hope you can feel up to joining us on 31-Oct.

Walter

Randy

Welcome back, Randy. I'm going to correct Walter; it's several trips, not many. Most of our trips have been to northern Italy, where we have friends.

Paul Simon and I connected the people who contacted Lee and they are all going to Civitavecchia together. The group includes Rockmartian on this roll call, and I believe they have room in their vehicle for one or two more. More details if you're interested.

We're allowed THREE 70 lb bags on United, but I gotta say, unless you have servants, I can't imagine anyone traveling with that amount of luggage. Especially if you have to share a ride somewhere or take public transport (like a train!). I totally screwed up on one trip and made a too tight train connection in Genoa. Our train from Finali Ligure was REALLY late and when it arrived in Genoa, it was at platform 1. Our train to Pisa was leaving at THAT VERY MINUTE from platform 15. We had to run (and I mean RUN) clear to the other side of the station with our luggage. We hopped on the last car of the already moving train and had to fight our way through the crowded aisles to the first car where our reserved seats were. We laugh now, but I was sweating it! And don't forget about maneuvering your bags through the customs line at debarkation. It was a nightmare when we debarked the Solstice in FLL. Three customs agents to process 2800 pax in an unairconditioned cargo shed.

In the past, we preferred to stay in the Campo de' Fiori/Piazza Navona/Pantheon area, but despite economic woes (or maybe in spite of them) prices in Rome have skyrocketed. We usually stay in two star properties in the center of cities with mostly European clientele. I was sorta shocked at what rome hotel prices had done since our last visit, which reinforced my inclination to go the apartment route (we're retired and on a budget!). But as you found, most landlords want longer stays in their properties.

We've stayed at the Hotel Campo de' Fiori and really liked it. Here are links to hotels in the same area, including two just across the Ponte Sisto foot bridge from Trastevere, which, while the restaurant and bar center of Rome, doesn't have many hotels. In no particular order:

http://www.hotelpontesisto.it/

http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/home.htm

http://www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it/

http://www.maisongiulia.it/

http://www.smeraldoroma.com/inglese/hotel.htm

Three bags would be impossible for me, as well. Air Canada allows two if you're in first class. Used to be three but only the super-duper mega-elites get three now.

It's two bags on United now, too, but that's a recent change. We were grandfathered in. Now it's two checked 70 lb bags, one 22" roll aboard bag and one personal bag. Still way too much! When I booked this cruise, Bob's health was iffy, so we bought new lightweight spinner luggage in smaller sizes than what we had. I'm aiming for one 26" bag apiece, plus a backpack each. That's it! If you've ever rented a car in Europe, you know that most don't hold much luggage...

It's two bags on United now, too, but that's a recent change. We were grandfathered in. Now it's two checked 70 lb bags, one 22" roll aboard bag and one personal bag. Still way too much! When I booked this cruise, Bob's health was iffy, so we bought new lightweight spinner luggage in smaller sizes than what we had. I'm aiming for one 26" bag apiece, plus a backpack each. That's it! If you've ever rented a car in Europe, you know that most don't hold much luggage...

Hey Bart thanks for the hotel info ..BTW, United Global First international IS still 3 bags @ 70 lbs each. Business (and "Business First", which was Continental's old 2 cabin product) are 2 bags @ 70 lbs each. I just used all three checked bag allowances returning from Heathrow in UA Global First. I also checked the UA baggage website calculator for an end of Oct trip, and it still indicates three free for Global First class, even without elite status.

Hey Bart thanks for the hotel info ..BTW, United Global First international IS still 3 bags @ 70 lbs each. Business (and "Business First", which was Continental's old 2 cabin product) are 2 bags @ 70 lbs each. I just used all three checked bag allowances returning from Heathrow in UA Global First. I also checked the UA baggage website calculator for an end of Oct trip, and it still indicates three free for Global First class, even without elite status.

I still can't imagine anyone traveling with that much luggage. We started flying Continental years ago, when their service beat United hands down. Now that Continental management is running United Continental Holdings, most expect United Global First to gradually wither away. It's already gone on most routes.

We're cruising Oceania next year from Lisbon to Rio (along with Walter and Iain and a couple other guys on our Reflection TA). I checked United's baggage allowances for steerage and saw one free checked bag goting to Lisbon, but two free bags of 60 lbs going to and from Brazil. Strange... Anyway, there was a thread on the oceania boards about luggage, and all these upscale ladies who cruise oceania were bragging about never cruising with more than a carry on. If they can doit, so can I. :D

I still can't imagine anyone traveling with that much luggage. We started flying Continental years ago, when their service beat United hands down. Now that Continental management is running United Continental Holdings, most expect United Global First to gradually wither away. It's already gone on most routes.

We're cruising Oceania next year from Lisbon to Rio (along with Walter and Iain and a couple other guys on our Reflection TA). I checked United's baggage allowances for steerage and saw one free checked bag goting to Lisbon, but two free bags of 60 lbs going to and from Brazil. Strange... Anyway, there was a thread on the oceania boards about luggage, and all these upscale ladies who cruise oceania were bragging about never cruising with more than a carry on. If they can doit, so can I. :D

We will contribute three people to that Oceania cruise :D

We can take 3 suitcases each, but guess who ends up having to carry them up and down stairs!

I think I am going to get a new rolling duffel for this trip - I quite like them in that they are not too huge and you can fit in a ton of stuff in them and they can be quite light.

So I will take that and my backpack and a "soft" type garment bag for the tux if I take it so that I can hang it on the back of the duffel.

In the past I have taken a "hard" garment suitcase type thing that folds in half but it is very hard to deal with, because each piece wants to roll in its own direction.

Super light travel is something I hope to master one day.

Jonathan

Edited by jb_yvr

We will contribute three people to that Oceania cruise :D

We can take 3 suitcases each, but guess who ends up having to carry them up and down stairs!

I think I am going to get a new rolling duffel for this trip - I quite like them in that they are not too huge and you can fit in a ton of stuff in them and they can be quite light.

So I will take that and my backpack and a "soft" type garment bag for the tux if I take it so that I can hang it on the back of the duffel.

In the past I have taken a "hard" garment suitcase type thing that folds in half but it is very hard to deal with, because each piece wants to roll in its own direction.

Super light travel is something I hope to master one day.

Jonathan

Well, you won't have to worry about formal wear on the Marina. The O CEO said you COULD wear one, but you'd probably be mistaken for a waiter. ;) I'm looking forward to both cruises; looks like a great bunch of men. I bought a Fül rolling duffel for our last TA and while it worked well, there was one serious flaw: it is really easy to overpack (those things hold a lot) and go over the weight limit. I did like this one because it opened in half like a clamshell (some duffels don't), so it was easy to find things.

We used to travel to Europe with just carry ons (or less—Bobbie hitch hiked from London to Greece and back through Tito's Yugoslavia and another time spent seven months hiking through Yucatán, Guatamala and Belize. He does laundry by taking the dirty clothes into the shower, putting them on the shower floor and then pretends to be Lucy stomping grapes (it's easier with a bathtub). I still just shake my head...

Just back from a great weekend in Scranton PA (Kelly Clarkson and Maroon 5) and Corning NY (The Corning Glass Museum). We bought our wedding shirts and ties and now we're just about planned out for that. Next up, the wedding and then we can get ready for this cruise! It's been a busy season!

Just back from a great weekend in Scranton PA (Kelly Clarkson and Maroon 5) and Corning NY (The Corning Glass Museum). We bought our wedding shirts and ties and now we're just about planned out for that. Next up, the wedding and then we can get ready for this cruise! It's been a busy season!

Sounds like you and Mike are going to need a nice long cruise to rest up from all the festivities. :D When's the Big Day again?

Hey Guys! Has anyone on here not read "JW and Jerome's Excellent Adventure on the Celebrity REFLECTION" which reviews the ship and his cruise?

Its a riot, if you haven't read it. An absolute must read!

By the way, Kim and I are going to take his advice on St Kitts and go to Carambola for the day. If anyone is interested you can join us! We have arranged transport and reservations.

Sounds great. We were thinking of going there also.

I have read parts of that review and he's quite the character.

Lee,

This is the place I told you and Mike about when I came to visit in Rehoboth Beach. Iain and myself were planning to use "Liz" to arrange transportation.

I got a confirmation from his suggested "LIZ" for the transport. She will also make a reservation for Carambola for us when they open back up in October. Let me know if you want to share a ride/transport to the place.

I also came across the review you mentioned and read it completely. Sounded like a lot of fun and some interesting characters onboard.

If you are looking for people to fill a van, I'd be happy to sign up for two of those spots.

Walter

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

I see a group outing emerging!

We'd be happy to part of plans to go there.

Thats great news! So far its Me (Ted) and Kim, Walter and Iain, and Mike and Lee that are considering at day at Carambola during out St Kitts visit.

I will ask Liz for an updated price for 6, 8, and 10 (in case we can persuade more to join) for the transport from Port to Carambola.

She is planning on meeting our group at 9am and takes cash only for the transport. No deposit required. She will also make reservations for us at Carambola when they reopen in October. I can email you guys confirmations when we get them if you like.

Soungs like a great day trip!! If anyone else is interested, let us know.

Countdown. 47 days to go!! We leave on October 24 for a pre cruise week in Sicily. So looking forward to the week and then meeting all of you on Reflection.

What is Carambola and what are planning for the day? We haven't even planned for Tenerife. Any been there and recommend a tour?

Bob and Bill

Thats great news! So far its Me (Ted) and Kim, Walter and Iain, and Mike and Lee that are considering at day at Carambola during out St Kitts visit.

I will ask Liz for an updated price for 6, 8, and 10 (in case we can persuade more to join) for the transport from Port to Carambola.

She is planning on meeting our group at 9am and takes cash only for the transport. No deposit required. She will also make reservations for us at Carambola when they reopen in October. I can email you guys confirmations when we get them if you like.

Soungs like a great day trip!! If anyone else is interested, let us know.

Count Bobbie and I in. This sounds like fun. I read Jerome's thread long ago and am wading through again to find what he said about Carambola. Can you post details about Liz and what this all entails? Maybe you can fill me in, too, Walter. But we're a go.

Countdown. 47 days to go!! We leave on October 24 for a pre cruise week in Sicily. So looking forward to the week and then meeting all of you on Reflection.

What is Carambola and what are planning for the day? We haven't even planned for Tenerife. Any been there and recommend a tour?

Bob and Bill

We leave on the 25th and arrive in Rome on Bob's birthday. Like Lee and Mike, this will be a honeymoon cruise for us. Lots to look forward to. We may take the tram in Santa Cruz de Tenerife up to the old colonial capital of Santa Cruz se la Laguna.

Count Bobbie and I in. This sounds like fun. I read Jerome's thread long ago and am wading through again to find what he said about Carambola. Can you post details about Liz and what this all entails? Maybe you can fill me in, too, Walter. But we're a go.

Not sure if I am allowed to post a link in here but here is the linke for Liz:

https://lizpereirastourstore.shutterfly.com/

JW and Jeromes page about carambola is here (page 31 of their review)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832567&page=31

Liz is just arranging transport for $10 a piece, but she does all kinds of tours and is highly regarded on Trip Advisor. Since Carambola is closed for the season until October, she will also make a reservation for us there when they open. JW says reservations are needed so we should plan on thats, especially as our group grows....we are now 8 I believe with the addition of Bart and Bob. In JW's post he says that each lounge chairs is $10, the umbrella $10 and he gave $10 for a tip for a total of $40 bucks. Drinks and food are extra I believe.....