Our day in Cozumel - Massage by Sally, Sabores restaurant, shopping

dadofgage

Here is how my wife and I spent our day in Cozumel.

I had prearranged a massage by Sally (http://www.barefootincozumel.com/) for my wife and I. This was one of the top two things that we did on the cruise itself. If you are looking for a massage while on board/vacation and you are visiting Cozumel, visit Sally. You won't be disappointed.

Once we had finished our massage, Sally recommended a local restaurant called Sabores. We were looking for a 'local' place that would probably have very few tourists. This was the place. Very little English spoken here, but no problem. Their order board was easy to understand and we picked out what we wanted without a problem. My wife had the enchillada and I had the fajitas. This along with soup and a pitcher of mango water came to about $13.

My wife and I then visited a number of shops but found that we were wishing that we had purchased more in Costa Maya because the prices were cheaper there than they were in Cozumel. We did end up purchasing a tanzanite ring and some bracelets here and were happy with the purchases. We probably could have gotten better deals on Costa Maya though.

Taxi rides to Sally's location and then back from downtown ran $6 each way and then add a tip to that. I found our taxi drivers to be both professional, safe and fun - each had no problem telling us about the places we were passing on our way to and from the ship.

If you are visiting Cozumel anytime soon and you are looking for shopping in the downtown area, stray off the main streets three or four blocks, you will find better deals, more authentic restaurants and a more relaxed shopping experience.

Also, in the downtown area, we found an internet cafe/long distance calling provider that we used to call home to talk to our kids. Prices for calls to the US were 40 cents per minute and the use of a computer for internet access ran $1 per hour.

Enjoy!

Thanks Dadofgage! It was a pleasure meeting you both. It's always interesting when one of a couple chooses Swedish and the other chooses Ashiatsu. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you compared notes!

I'm glad you enjoyed Sabores. It's definitely a favorite of mine. Good flavorful food at a very inexpensive price. You must have had more food than you listed, since that would have only come to about $9 plus tip. Also you forgot to mention the soup that is included.

Cozumel is a great place from which to check on the homefront, by phone or by email. I am excited to see that an internet place is opening around the corner. At a dollar an hour it's a great way to occupy a spouse or child while someone is under my hands or feet. And Cozumel is so safe! Really, I can't emphasize that enough. This is the place to explore. As Dadofgage wrote, get off the main drag and go on a treasure hunt! Who knows what you might find...

Archived